Any organizational tips for the humidor? (labeling, cateloguing)

mrreindeer

Gorilla
Forgive me if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find any posts on organization of one's humidor and I'm looking for any suggestions. Like how the heck do you know what you've got in there?

Right now, I've got two humidors, one small metal travel humidor that fits 8 flat and one Colibri that fits 50. So I don't yet have room for a lot of cigars but I'm considering my expansion options to help me on my slide down the slope.

That being said, do you have any tips on the organization of your humidor(s)? Specifically, labeling, describing and cataloguing the sticks.

I'd like to eventually have enough sticks that I'd lose track of (and frankly, I've begun to forget some of the ones I've already got). I'd like to start aging some too because I hear that's something you want to do. Yet I think I'd probably want to keep information on the sticks I'm storing (I've got some limited information on the ones I've got already on a notepad).

One thing that I find frustrating about cigars is the lack of labeling. For example, Tatuaje's labels are mostly plain 'ol labels. Aside from sticking a damn post-it on my babies, how do I keep track of a) exactly what kind of cigar it is (not just name but type and any other information like size, rating, where it's from...) and b) what year it's from (so that in 2012, I can hit up some sweet Oliva Master Blends 3 and know how long they've been sitting)?

Am I an OCD freak or are there people out there who do keep track and have a system aside from post-its or insect pins on or through wrappers?

I don't keep track because I like to dig and find stuff I didn't know I had. It's like Christmas all over again. :r

As for singles, I use a Sharpie to write the date I buy them on the cello. The ones without cello, I use a fine sharpie and write the month and year I bought them on the cap of the cigar. I already know the sizes.

i currently don't keep track of my smokes. i like to find "surprises" i didn't know I had, like my 2 Bolivar and Cohiba ISOMs that were right on the top shelf of my humi, but i forgot I had them until a few weeks ago.

However, i did just organize my smokes. I tried to put the largest ones on the bottom. Middle sizes(6") on the middle shelf . And on the top shelf, I have my robustos and smaller, naked cigars, and cheap quick-to-grab yard 'gars.

About the only thing I do is to put like brands together. Other than that, I don't worry about what I have or when I bought it. The only exception is if I get a new mail order in, I try to let those sticks sit for 5-7 days before taking any out to light up.

Check out www.cigartower.com They have a free software to keep track of what is in your humidors. Also a sync so you can post and get reviews on cigars.

I just had time to check out the site; while I like the idea of it a lot and appreciate you telling me about it, most of my cigars aren't in the database (Gurkha, Avo, Tatuaje....even Padron!). Are there any other online cataloguing services that might be better or more comprehensive?

i currently don't keep track of my smokes. i like to find "surprises" i didn't know I had, like my 2 Bolivar and Cohiba ISOMs that were right on the top shelf of my humi, but i forgot I had them until a few weeks ago.

I'm sure you know your Bolivars are the real ISOM McCoy but what if you've got Bolivar Cofradia 654's from a B&M in Torrance in the mix and well, it's been awhile and you don't know if you put the ISOM's up top or if you moved them to the bottom and put the 654's up top...and if I'm not mistaken, the labels are the exact same! Note, my memory is horrible, maybe yours is better!

To make matters worse, I even keep a journal of the ones I've already smoked, gluing the rings to the notebook pages with info about them (size, country of origin, CA rating). Now I wonder how long I'll keep this up but for now I dig it (and don't mind). I also jot down where I smoked it, who I smoked it with, where I bought it, price, etc so that I can come back and know which I've liked.

I know, a little obsessed. Cuckoo, cuckooo :chk:chk:chk

When I started, I had a journal, blank bands, a computerized inventory system, and a brother label machine.

Three years later the journal is gone, I use the blank bands if I'm aging singles, I have not used my inventory system for almost 9 months, label machine has moved to my office. This stuff takes too much time. I would rather smoke cigars.

To make matters worse, I even keep a journal of the ones I've already smoked, gluing the rings to the notebook pages with info about them (size, country of origin, CA rating). Now I wonder how long I'll keep this up but for now I dig it (and don't mind). I also jot down where I smoked it, who I smoked it with, where I bought it, price, etc so that I can come back and know which I've liked.

I know, a little obsessed. Cuckoo, cuckooo :chk:chk:chk

This is what I use for rating my smokes. It is simple and allows you to "grade" the cigar.

IMG.jpg

Nope. :D The cuban Bolivars will say Habana under Simon's chin.

Ah, thanks Greg! You know, when I first bought the 654's I was just about sure (read: very very hopeful) the guy at the shop sold me Cubans when I opened up a recent issue of CA.

Three years later the journal is gone, I use the blank bands if I'm aging singles, I have not used my inventory system for almost 9 months, label machine has moved to my office. This stuff takes too much time. I would rather smoke cigars.

Very good damn point. :ss

Amazing! Somebody more obsessed than me! I love it. How long have you been 'grading'?

I probably have about 600 grading sheets filled out. :ss
Of course these are only the ones I smoke at home. I have not got it so bad that I take my sheets to the bar with me............yet.
I use a 3 ring binder and sheet protectors to store the sheets in.

I have a bad case of OCD myself and I label and keep all three humi and my cabinet in order. I use blank cigar bands to label the cigar itself if the band does not distinguish what type of A.Fuente etc. it is. I usually write the date they were put into my humi and seperate them all by brands with the cedar that comes in cigar boxes (I cut them to fit the needs of the cigar and humi).

I also use software from stogiefresh.com, it's called "stogie inventory". I think it cost me about $9 or $10 and you just buy and download. This software has proved to be invaluable. The software includes over 500 cigars with photos. If the cigar is not listed, all you have to do is type it in. This software keeps track of purchase date, size, name, shape, cost etc. It also has a section where you can write your own review about each of your stogies as you smoke them and a rating scale. With the amount of cigars we smoke it's hard to keep track of each one and what we thought of it, unless we write or type something about it.

Also, everytime you smoke one or take it out of your humi just click on the cigar and it deducts it from your inventory. That way you will know when you're getting low on your favorites.

Sorry so long, but I hope that helps.

I have a bad case of OCD myself and I label and keep all three humi and my cabinet in order. I use blank cigar bands to label the cigar itself if the band does not distinguish what type of A.Fuente etc. it is. I usually write the date they were put into my humi and seperate them all by brands with the cedar that comes in cigar boxes (I cut them to fit the needs of the cigar and humi).

I also use software from stogiefresh.com, it's called "stogie inventory". I think it cost me about $9 or $10 and you just buy and download. This software has proved to be invaluable. The software includes over 500 cigars with photos. If the cigar is not listed, all you have to do is type it in. This software keeps track of purchase date, size, name, shape, cost etc. It also has a section where you can write your own review about each of your stogies as you smoke them and a rating scale. With the amount of cigars we smoke it's hard to keep track of each one and what we thought of it, unless we write or type something about it.

Also, everytime you smoke one or take it out of your humi just click on the cigar and it deducts it from your inventory. That way you will know when you're getting low on your favorites.

Sorry so long, but I hope that helps.

I searched though their website, but couldn't find that program :gn

Any ideas?

Back