Any particular tobacco you dont like?

xxwaldoxx

Lowland Gorilla
Im sitting here smoking a Camacho Negro and think its a decent cigar. The only downside is that it has this nagging harshness that I have found to be common (at least to me) with some Mexican tobacco.

In addition to the Mexican wrapper I have found that I do not like the flavors of Connecticut Wrappers so much (Although Connecticut binders aren't as bad).

Has anyone else found a particular type of tobacco they don't enjoy?

On the other side of the spectrum I have fallen in love with Cameroon wrappers and also like Corojo tobacco quite a bit.

Amazingly enough, I don't like the aftertaste and flavor profile I get from most DR tobacco. The only cigars from contain DR tobacco that I like so far are anejos and opusX.

I seem to like nicaraguan tobacco a lot more than stuff from the DR.

Call me crazy, but the only tobacco that I don't like is bad tobacco. Seriously though, the mexican stuff that I have tried does tend to be on the harsh side. I would definitely pick up something else first. Beyond that though, I have enjoyed all of the variety that this great hobby offers!

I'm with you on the Mexican leaf - in my case, add Indonesian. Can't stand either of them. I've never had a problem with CT shade though. It's kinda delicate though, and only seems to work on fairly mild cigars. If you prefer a heavier bodied smoke CT shade might be a problem. Do you object to CT broadleaf as well, or just the Shade?

But I agree with you about corojo -- its always a favorite. Pepin's corojo 99 kicks a$$. And a good cameroon is always nice too. Ashton's Puro Sol is great.

Well really only one I can't stand on a consistant basis, and that is cigarette tobacco. This probably goes without saying for most of you. To be honest, I haven't had much Mexican leaf, but smelling cig smoke makes me gag.

Im sitting here smoking a Camacho Negro and think its a decent cigar. The only downside is that it has this nagging harshness that I have found to be common (at least to me) with some Mexican tobacco.

In addition to the Mexican wrapper I have found that I do not like the flavors of Connecticut Wrappers so much (Although Connecticut binders aren't as bad).

On the other side of the spectrum I have fallen in love with Cameroon wrappers and also like Corojo tobacco quite a bit.

My palate has determined for me that my preferences in tobacco lean towards corojo, habano, Nicaraguan and Honduran tobaccos on the NC side, and on the Cuban side, I like most of the ones I have tried. I know so little about Cuban smokes and their industry that I cannot say what tobaccos they use or how muxch of one leaf versus another they use. It is a "I like what I like proposition with Cuban smokes for me. With the exception of box codes and dates, I couldn't tell you one thing about cuban smokes othewr than they are good or they suck.

The flavor infused kind...:) Kahlua by Drew Estate is the only flavored cigar I can stand, and I think that's because I like Kahlua liqueur. Other than that I haven't run across any yet that was terrible, but I'm sure I eventually will.

I don't care for maduros in general, broadleaf in particular. Not a big fan of cameroon either. I actually liked most of the mexican tobacco I've tried (except Te-Amo):tg

Do you object to CT broadleaf as well, or just the Shade?

The CT shade seems to be worse for me. I can smoke the broadleaf but it has to be in the form of a Maduro and mixed well with other tobacco.

For example, I like the Helix Maduro as a nice mild smoke but I can still taste the CT wrapper. The flavor of the CT wrapper is muted enough that I can ignore it and enjoy the other flavors the cigar produces.

Never gave it any thought before.

Mexican.

I smoked a few Te-Amo cigars, never liked the flavor, aroma or anything else about them.

Don't know that I could pick up on it in a blend though.

Dmntd

Unfortunately, I can pick the flavors out in a cigar because they have a distinct flavor that I dont like.

I wish I could pick out the flavors that I enjoy as easily as the ones I don't.

I can't recall ever having Mexican leaf. But I tend to stay away from the Cameroon wrappers. I like my cigars like my food spicy and bold. Even in the maduro family you will find some milder ones.

I don't know.....

The San Andreas Valley turns out some nice sun grown and maduro wrappers and many very good cigars use Mexican binders. I do enjoy a lot of mexican leaf but Mexican Puros can't really compete. Still not sure about Peruvian tobacs though...

:2

Last edited:
Back