Any sausage makers out there?

kayaker

Come get some!!!
No jokes please :D.

A friend and I like to make our own sausage and are looking for some good recipes. I have found some online, but want to know if any gorillas have any of their own.

We use wild game mostly (moose) and pork. Open to other suggestions.

I am not a sausage maker, however, if anyone has a good Deer, Elk, (moose maybe since you mentioned it), buffalo, etc. I would be interested to try some out if you do mail orders

I make Italian sausage.

For every pound of ground meat add 1 /4 lb. of Bacon or fatback that's been cubed, this adds flavor and moisture to the sausage. I don't measure herbs or spice so these are approximations.

Per pound of course ground meat;

3/4 t. fennel seed
3/4 t. fresh ground black pepper
1 t. kosher salt
1/8 c. wine or stock

Additions per pound of ground meat;

1/2 t. chopped broad leaf parsley (no stems)
1 T. chopped fresh basil
1/4 – 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flake
1/8 t. oregano
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. sugar
1/4 t. caraway seed

Scallion, shallot, sweet or red onion are always good too.

My advice would be to fry a bit up after it's blended and taste it, then adjust the seasoning to your taste.

Best of luck,

Anthony

I make Italian sausage.

For every pound of ground meat add 1 /4 lb. of Bacon or fatback that's been cubed, this adds flavor and moisture to the sausage. I don't measure herbs or spice so these are approximations.

Per pound of course ground meat;

3/4 t. fennel seed
3/4 t. fresh ground black pepper
1 t. kosher salt
1/8 c. wine or stock

Additions per pound of ground meat;

1/2 t. chopped broad leaf parsley (no stems)
1 T. chopped fresh basil
1/4 – 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flake
1/8 t. oregano
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. sugar
1/4 t. caraway seed

Scallion, shallot, sweet or red onion are always good too.

My advice would be to fry a bit up after it's blended and taste it, then adjust the seasoning to your taste.

Best of luck,

Anthony

Frying it up to try before you spend time putting it in casings is sage advice. Season to taste and try it, if you like it then it will likely make good sausage.

No jokes please :D.

A friend and I like to make our own sausage and are looking for some good recipes. I have found some online, but want to know if any gorillas have any of their own.

We use wild game mostly (moose) and pork. Open to other suggestions.

I've made my own in the past, usually straight pork, but if you can get your hands on some deer :dr:dr, mixed 50/50 with pork....:dr:dr:dr
I usually season to taste with just salt and pepper, and do fry up a bit to try before you stuff.
If I'm making straight pork I usually get a nice big shoulder and about half again of pork belly. I use the wife's Kitchen-Aid grinder and sausage set up.

What do you guys do to stuff your sausages (this thread could go downhill quick)? I did a very good venison sausage patty last year, but stuffing sausage is a PITA. I have a hand grinder that works great and a cheapo elec grinder/stuffer that can barely grind.

What's the secret?

What do you guys do to stuff your sausages (this thread could go downhill quick)? I did a very good venison sausage patty last year, but stuffing sausage is a PITA. I have a hand grinder that works great and a cheapo elec grinder/stuffer that can barely grind.

What's the secret?

We use a levered stuffer that we got from Princess Auto. Not great, but works better than the usual electric ones.

If you look closer at the photo above, the grinder was a hand one that could also be hooked up to a motor. It works fast and is also pretty quiet. Chews through the meat very well.

We use a levered stuffer that we got from Princess Auto. Not great, but works better than the usual electric ones.

If you look closer at the photo above, the grinder was a hand one that could also be hooked up to a motor. It works fast and is also pretty quiet. Chews through the meat very well.

Something along the lines of this?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20099&hasJS=true

I can grind all day with my hand powered one. It just tends to back up/gum up when I try to stuff using it.

At my uncles butcher shop they make, sweet and hot italian, fresh kielbasa, country sausage which is like a breakfast sausage with just salt and pepper in it, tomato and mozzarella, bacon cheddar, garlic parsley and parmesan, broccoli rabb, German with apples and bread crumbs, um peppers and onions, roasted peppers with mozzarella and I think thats it lol oh and "combo sausage" which is after they stuff everything there is usually about a pound left in the stuffer so they mix it all together and make more. To stuff it they have a 12 qt. crank stuffer that has been in the place since 1977

---------------- Now playing: Craig Morgan - Little Bit of Life via FoxyTunes

Last edited:
lol if u send me like an Omaha steak styrofoam box and those blue ice packs sure lol. We have a friend who stops by, works for a drilling company and they're sending him down to Louisiana as a mechanic for the drilling rigs and he wants us to send him our fresh kielbasa and some other varietys lol.

I added 2 more kinds to the list

---------------- Now playing: Rodney Adkins - About The South via FoxyTunes

At my uncles butcher shop they make, sweet and hot italian, fresh kielbasa, country sausage which is like a breakfast sausage with just salt and pepper in it, tomato and mozzarella, bacon cheddar, garlic parsley and parmesan, broccoli rabb, German with apples and bread crumbs, um peppers and onions, roasted peppers with mozzarella and I think thats it lol oh and "combo sausage" which is after they stuff everything there is usually about a pound left in the stuffer so they mix it all together and make more. To stuff it they have a 12 qt. crank stuffer that has been in the place since 1977.

They all sound great. Does your uncle share recipes?

Wow, you guys are making me hungry. Freshly made sausages sound great. I gotta look into this, maybe I'll be making some myself. Thanks for the recipe.

Back