Anybody else disappointed in the Cabaiguan Guapo?

jmcrawf1

Redneck Gorilla
I just smoked one and honestly this was the first Pepin to disappoint me. It really lacked flavor and was like smoking air. I mean it wasn't a bad cigar per se, but for the smoke you get as compared to the cost, I was let down. Am I off base?

I just smoked one and honestly this was the first Pepin to disappoint me. It really lacked flavor and was like smoking air. I mean it wasn't a bad cigar per se, but for the smoke you get as compared to the cost, I was let down. Am I off base?

Never judge any cigar by smoking just one...

Outside of that general advice, I think your experience isn't typical. The Guapos are a bit more full bodied than the others in the Cabaiguan line.

I agree its an awful smoke. In fact brothers its so bad I think we should go out of our way to make sure no one else gets a bad one. So all you guys gather them up and send them to me. I'll destroy them to save you all. To be through and sure that not even a single Guapo escapes I'll burn them slowly, one at a time!

I agree its an awful smoke. In fact brothers its so bad I think we should go out of our way to make sure no one else gets a bad one. So all you guys gather them up and send them to me. I'll destroy them to save you all. To be through and sure that not even a single Guapo escapes I'll burn them slowly, one at a time!
:tpd:
Have a few in my humi have been waiting to try. You can send the bad ones my way also.

i bought a fiver from a local. i let them rest about two weeks and smoked one each night for the next 5 days. i then bought 3 boxes. it's a limited production run and it is a very good smoke. i think you need to try a few more :tu

i bought a fiver from a local. i let them rest about two weeks and smoked one each night for the next 5 days. i then bought 3 boxes. it's a limited production run and it is a very good smoke. i think you need to try a few more :tu
I think its an amazing smoke. I orginally bought a single box, which I then turned into a second box and I'm buying pretty much every single I see since. I agree with the original poster that its a mild smoke and the flavor is not "in your face" but its flavorful and complex. In my mind the stick is very cubanesqe and I'd love it if this was a regular production stick.

Hmm... I only tried one and it was EXACTLY as jmcrawf1 described. I couldn't stand it, however I was given another one and it's resting now. Hopefully the first one I had was just a fluke...

I think its an amazing smoke. I orginally bought a single box, which I then turned into a second box and I'm buying pretty much every single I see since. I agree with the original poster that its a mild smoke and the flavor is not "in your face" but its flavorful and complex. In my mind the stick is very cubanesqe and I'd love it if this was a regular production stick.

I talked to Pete about that awhile ago, he said he is going to make another one with the same wrapper as the guapo, just not the same size. I have no idea when that will be released though.

Ok, maybe my original post was misleading. I nubbed it. It wasn't a *bad* smoke. But I puffed that thing like a freight train at times trying to get some flavor. It tasted vaguely like a RP Sungrown at times just much more muted. For a $10+ smoke, i was *disappointed*

:tpd:
Have a few in my humi have been waiting to try. You can send the bad ones my way also.
Before or After I smoke them. Won't know for sure if they are bad until I have had a chance to judge them for myself. You are welcome to the remains.:r:D

Ok, maybe my original post was misleading. I nubbed it. It wasn't a *bad* smoke. But I puffed that thing like a freight train at times trying to get some flavor. It tasted vaguely like a RP Sungrown at times just much more muted. For a $10+ smoke, i was *disappointed*
I love it as a great change of pace. Typically I have one as a first smoke fo the day or on a day when I have not had anything else. I'd 100% agree that the flavor of this thing is a great delicate blend, but its really something you need a clean palate to appreciate.

I've only had one and that one was very tasty. Enough so that I would be happy to try another one, if there are any still around by the time my cigar budget is replenished!!!!

Back