Anyone else dislike their Xikar?

lenguamor

Gorila Cabrón
Or is it just me? I mean, it's OK, does what it's supposed to...but I don't find the cut to be as clean as the Cuban Crafter I was using before this one (at less than half the price).

Plus, it doesn't do really small ring gauges very well at all, like it wasn't designed to...which is odd, since it doesn't do the 54+ gauges either.

I got mine about half its regular price on the Devil's Site, so I'm not bitching all the way here...but frankly, I expected more from a product as "vaunted" as this.

I think nest month I budget for a Palio from Mark.

Well I cant comment on Xikars but I just got my Palio in the mail, so I'm very excited that I managed to budget in a box of Hemmingway's and a new cutter within a week.

Ya know what? I was seriously considering the Xi3 Havana Collection cutter, and I'm glad I read the reviews on those cutters from you guys/gals. I instead just ordered the new Palio cutter from Cigarmony.

I have the Xikar scissors...and I only used it 1 time..just don't like it. I'm sorry I bought the darn thing.

My Xikar works fine, even after a couple years of daily use. I just got a Palio from Mark though, and I have to admit it's a sharper cut. Both work well...maybe I'm just not that picky.

What doesn't work is the crappy cigar scissors I got years ago. I kept it as a souvenir of my youthful idiocy, but I'll never use it again.

You won't be disappointed with the Palio. Go for it!

You'll stop disliking your xikar as soon as you get a palio...

Of course you'll stop using it too.

in fact you'll prolly forget all about it.:cb

I have a Xikar, the POS is less than 3 months old.

It doesn't cut well at all and the damned thing doesn't open when the release is triggered, it sticks so you have to use force to pull it open.

It’s a $40.00 paper weight.

I've got a black xi that I've had about 6 months. I've had great results with it. It never has stuck closed, or come apart...but I've never dropped it either.

I always set it flat on a table and clip 'em that way (except for the torpedoes, o' course) keeps the depth right and the cut square. Watch out how you hold it though, it can pinch the crap out of ya...

I'm going to join the herd and get a Palio, also...but not because I'm unhappy with the Xikar, I just NEED more STUFF !!! :D

ps By all accounts, Xikar has great customer service...if you're having problems, just get in touch with them and they'll take care of it.

:2 :2 :2

I got a xikar too. Got it as a gift from a BOTL. It does what it's supposed to do, but to be honest it doesn't cut THAT good. Like others said the cut isn't clean enough. Never tried a palio but i'm considering in buying one next month or so...

I have the Xikar, Sak and a Palio.

Ever since I got my Palio I use nothing else. It is the best cutter I have ever used. New Burlwood one on the way.

The next best one is my Sak cutter. The Xikar is good but I prefer the other two styles over the Xikars.

guess i'm alone on this one-had my xikar for 9 or 10 months-still cutting well for me-has loosened up a little bit, has some play in it, but if i just make the fuggin cut instead of trying to get all professional, it works great-i clean the blades regularly w/alcohol, & have used air gun oil once thru the button mechanism (all recommened by xikar website, & good for any cutter)-haven't tried palio yet, looks neat-xikar seems smaller though, & fits in watch pocket nicely-xikar also offers lifetime blade sharpening, & has excellent customer service from what i hear-if amyone wants to send me a palio though, i'll be happy to compare the 2 (j/k)

btw, i'm not affiliated w xikar in any way, just a satisfied customer

Have a Xikar, Palio and many havana cutters. What do I use on a daily basis you ask? The three dollar havana cutters. Don't get me wrong, the palio works great, I just prefer using the single blade havana cutter, I swear it gives me the cleanest cut.

As for the Xikar, I got it really early in this hobby and of the three, it is definitely the most difficult to use. It is a rather uncomfortable motion, at least for me. I also find it difficult to get both blades to close at the same time, so one side gets a little crushed. I think if I hadn't gotten the havana cutters, after some regular use, I would have gotten the motion down and everything would be fine. The blades are pretty damn sharp.

I always set it flat on a table and clip 'em that way (except for the torpedoes, o' course) keeps the depth right and the cut square. Watch out how you hold it though, it can pinch the crap out of ya...

I do the same exact thing when I do use my Xikar. It works extremely well when you use it this way and it pretty much cuts off just the cap. Also, there is no chance of pinching yourself in the spring mechanism. Trust me, you don't want this to happen, it hurts pretty bad and it takes a minute to figure out you need to release the sides in order to free the skin on your palm. Your brain is a little slow and doesn't work very well when you are in some pain.

Ya know what? I was seriously considering the Xi3 Havana Collection cutter,

Wow... don't get me wrong, those Xikar Havanas and also the Mammoth Ivory cutters are cool but man are they overpriced. I mean you basically get the same mechanism but with fancier handles and you have to pay 8-10 times more. Of course if one is rich that one has no problem, but for me they are overpriced. I'm sure you getting the Palio was the right choice since it's got a great rep. Just ordered a Burlwood Palio myself.

I don't hate Xikar cutters. My current cutter is Xi2 and it has worked quite well. Sure, it does not cut silky smooth and you have to use power to cut the cigar, but then again it looks cool, has the great Xikar warranty, is small, cuts a regular cigar correctly when placed on the table with the cigar stuck through the guillotine and overall works sufficently. However, my Xi2 broke as the other handle got loose and fell off. And with my masterful glue-skills it has got superglue residue spread on the metal and on the handle (well I got most of it off and you can't see the residue unless you look hard).

I'd say if you want the sharpest cut or the best performance cutter don't necessarily go for Xikar. On the other hand, if you want a cool-looking cutter that is good enough to satisfy most people's cigar cutting needs then Xikar is the way to go. And remember, the blades may get dull and the cutter itself may break but with Xikar's warranty you can just send them it for repairs. In fact, I'm planning on selling my Xi2 and getting a Xi3 to use when I don't use the Palio.

I have XiKar and Palio, but use the XiKar more often. I can get the perfect depth cut on cigars using it just like WTucker described:

I always set it flat on a table and clip 'em that way (except for the torpedoes, o' course) keeps the depth right and the cut square.

Also use the Havana cutters, they work well too. But XiKar is still my go-to cutter at this point. :2

I've had a Xikar Xi for a couple of years now and I rarely use it any more. For some odd reason I use it only to cut figurados. When I received the Havana Cutters, it was relegated to the desk drawer. The Palio I have makes a better cut IMO, although I do need to send mine back for replacement.

I use a cutter I bought from Cuban Crafters 2 years ago, and its getting sharper by the day. In fact, I used then to cut some speakers wires in a pinch too........They are working better then the day I bought them IMO well worth 20$...

I have a Xikar X2 and it's so so. Sometimes it cuts well, but most of the times it's tough to make a cut that's very level. You can lay it flat on a table, but I've found the blades to be not as sharp as I would have hoped for. There are some advantages though such as it's compact shape, which is helpful if you want to carry it around.

Well you have probably seen my comments in other Xikar threads.....

I haven't tried a palio or done much research....I got my two Xikars for a total of 10 dollars (one gifted, one used). I absolutely love them, they feel great, they look great, they cut great. I have not had one bad cut and I have cut about 15-20 cigars since I got them. I don't know if palio offers a warranty, but I would be very surprised if it was as good as Xikar's.

I will be using these cutters for the rest of my life and when they start to cut poorly I will just send them back to get them sharpened/replaced. Maybe I'll come across a palio some day but I am not in the market for a cutter right now...my hands are filled with wonderful xikars!

P.S. I'm a freebie whore and when I got my two leather sheaths in the mail I was on cloud nine. Does palio offer all of these perks?

Back