Anyone else recover from the cigar addiction?

MithShrike

SilverBack
For me, hobbies are like base jumping. No slope, just jump off, parachute and land at the bottom. Then, having conquered that height I look for somewhere else. I always keep vestiges of a previous hobby and still participate but not nearly as actively. First it was video games, then headphones, then vintage audio, then cigars, and now bowling. Still smoking, just don't have a collection like I once did. Instead of hundreds of cigars I have approximately 30.

Bowling? A hobby???
I am no longer buying a box a month but I have found some new favorites I won't run out of. I have a two year supply.
I have moved on to artisan bread baking.

I've never considered myself addicted to cigars, but I truly enjoy smoking them. They're more like a Scooby Snack for me...and I treat myself to one or two a day just because I feel I deserve it. :D Like you, it's all or nothing when I get into something...and it's always been that way since I was a kid. I can definitely relate to going crazy with hobbies, but I consider smoking cigars as more of a special treat than a hobby or addiction.

Now collecting cigars...that would probably be another thing. I guess I'm fortunate in the sense that I smoke what I buy within six months. I don't think I've ever been able to just let a box of cigars sit and rest for any longer than that. I have a lot of respect for those who have the patience and will-power to stash away for future use.

Like Duham, I have a stash that would last me a few years if I never bought another cigar. So the urge to buy isnt as strong, the latest and greatest limited edition over hyped cigar to market can now wait, I've learned I dont have to chase them all down and try them as soon as they they hit the retail shelves, thats an addiction.

I would'nt say I've recovered from an addiction as much as I would say that with experience I've learned more about what I like, less experimenting with every new brand or cigar to market, and now more of my cigar time is spent just enjoying the smoke.

For me, hobbies are like base jumping. No slope, just jump off, parachute and land at the bottom. Then, having conquered that height I look for somewhere else. I always keep vestiges of a previous hobby and still participate but not nearly as actively. First it was video games, then headphones, then vintage audio, then cigars, and now bowling. Still smoking, just don't have a collection like I once did. Instead of hundreds of cigars I have approximately 30.

The OP sounds a lot like me. Back in the day it was guns of all kinds, then it was cars, then it was amateur racing (bmwcca), now cigars. I was buying up all kinds of cigars and I talked myself into smoking less but better. All that's happened is that I'm smoking more, better cigars.

Lately I've been on a CC buying binge, planning to smoke my NC supply up and then have CCs with 2 years on them just waiting. I'm going to slow down the acquiring and get on with the smoking. Long term I'm going to have to slow down the smoking part as it's wearing thin on the wife. Three cigars a day has been tough on her but it's been tolerated since I've lost about 35lbs.

I just hope it never comes to bowling.:D

Bowling is a good time and it's indoors (I'm pale and asthmatic), it's relatively cheap to play, the equipment is rather interesting, and there's some serious satisfaction I get when I throw a 16lb ball at a bunch of wooden pins.

Bowling is a good time and it's indoors (I'm pale and asthmatic), it's relatively cheap to play, the equipment is rather interesting, and there's some serious satisfaction I get when I throw a 16lb ball at a bunch of wooden pins.
If only the pins exploded when hit. Hmmm, that gives me an idea...
j/k

Last edited:
I tend to dive head first into my hobbies, and cigars is no different. I have not had an urge to quit smoking and buying cigars, but I have slowed down. My fiancee always askes me if I will be smoking cigars in a few years when I talk about getting a box and putting it away for a few years, because I seem to get into a hobbie and then they fade away. I always tell her I will be smoking my cigars and shooting my guns forever, but only time will tell. I can say for sure I will never give up my guns.:gn

I dont quite think I'm beyond the hobby part I'm at some kind of apex, I'm smoking more (I think I smoked a box over the holiday) and I'm smoking better. Hopefully I'll get back to my one a day treat and then things will be good again.

its easy to beat the addiction when you dont have any money, or a job. hopefully that will end soon, and i can get back to the slope. its been calling my name

stearns

I remember when......perhaps a little after may of last year.
ADDICTION everyone was saying.....

I too have stepped BACK onto the slope that I once leapt from.
After spending way too much money in this wonderful addiction of choice I have stopped buying.
I have probably purchased 3 cigars since the beginning of the year. OK, maybe 5

I am now getting the itch again for a box of ERdM Lonsdales from 2000 that I want as well as a few others.

Good luck and God speed

I dont quite think I'm beyond the hobby part I'm at some kind of apex, I'm smoking more (I think I smoked a box over the holiday) and I'm smoking better. Hopefully I'll get back to my one a day treat and then things will be good again.

I've packed my humidors and cutters away a few times when the desire got low over the years, but I'm always glad I held onto them when the fever came back.

When I find something I enjoy, I stick with it.
I'm not much for "hobbies". I take on projects. Whether it be learning, building, creating, whatever. When the project is done, it's time for another one.
There are a few things I've taken with me for years. Raising kids, raising animals, gardening, creating things, and learning.
Most recently I've gotten more interested in cigars. Some days I smoke three, some days one, some days none. I'm not driven by smoking. I enjoy it.
The cool thing is that I don't HAVE to do it today. If I wait till tomorrow, they'll just be better. Or not. :) It really doesn't matter, they make them every day.
I've enjoyed cigars since I was a kid and I don't have any reason to believe I won't enjoy them 40 years from now, God willing.
The hobby part is simply sharing with friends.
I enjoy that most. That's where Club Stogie comes in. It allows me to find like minded individuals who I can share this joy with.
It's probably not become an "addiction" to me because from my personal experience addictions are selfish, self-serving and without love.
If I'm doing things the way the good brothers here do it, I have no fear of it ever becoming an addiction.
I'm happy for that. :) :tu

You sound like a friend of mine. First, it was bird watching. Then, it was tennis, every day for hours on end.

Then, poker--he actually proclaimed at one point he wanted to quit his job (he's a cardiologist) to play profesionally.

Then, it was golf five days a week.

I haven't seen him in six months now. Everytime I call his cell phone, he's on his new sailboat....

It use to be in Illinois you could bowl and smoke cigars at the same time. Now that would seriously feed into some sort of addictive cycle.

Back