Anyone ever season with a CO Ultra?

NAV3

Young Ape
I've been attempting to season my new humi with my cigar oasis ultra set at 78%, but after about 6 hours it appears its run out of water. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Andrew

It's probably working overtime to try and fill the wood with water (humidity)

Did you wipe the humi down?

I didn't wipe it down as I've read that wiping it down can warp the wood. It's odd though, it seems to turn itself off without beeping or anything, but when i press the little display sun it beeps and says H20. Is this normal? I filled a small mug with distilled water and stuck it in there though to help it along.

Wiping it down isn't a bad thing, as long as you dont over do it. You don't want the wood to look too noticably differnt in color as you are wiping it down. IE don't make it so damp that the wood begins to look too noticably darker. I would try that first, then look into the possibility that something is wrong with your unit

The CO will work for the seasoning... If you never fill your cartridge do so before seasoning this should finish the job.. also when you finish seasoning you will have to refill the cartridge again.... :tu...

Thanks for the advice guys. The main thing I'm worried about is how it doesn't really seem to reach the desired humidity, shuts off, and doesn't beep to say the water is low in it or anything. Maybe it just doesn't run for more than an hour or so at a time?

There's something wrong there if that's happening that quickly. I've used mine to season several humis, with no problems and not running out of water once.

First thing... perhaps you have never put enough water in the CO! Hopefully you have a syringe (available from any drugstore), as it makes getting the distilled water in the little hole a billion times easier, and you can monitor how much you put in. Keep putting it in there until you can see it that it SLOWLY is soaking into the sponge (or whatever it is) inside, and perhaps can see a little bit of shine such that you know water is almost saturating the sponge. And do this in both holes!

Finally, I wouldn't set it at 78%. I'd set it at 70%... as you want the humi to be seasoned at whatever your interior humidity will be. If you oversaturate the humi, it won't hurt anything, really... but it will make stabilization a bit screwier as the humi releases humidity, raising your interior rh, until it equalizes. And maybe requesting that RH get to 78% really requires a ton of water? (Don't know if an 8% rise in RH requires substantially more than an additional 8% h2o?)

Anyway... good luck! But it should be easier than it has been. So, either you've not added enough water, or you have a more significant problem, most likely a very leaky humi. I'd give it a go at refilling the CO with copious amounts of water, and trying again for 70%, or maybe 1-2 rh higher.

Thanks for the advice guys. The main thing I'm worried about is how it doesn't really seem to reach the desired humidity, shuts off, and doesn't beep to say the water is low in it or anything. Maybe it just doesn't run for more than an hour or so at a time?

if the water is low it should beep.. because it cutting off doesnt necessary means that the water is low.. normally it will run for few seconds.. stop... sensor check the humudity if its not reached it will turn on again.. but like what was menttion earlier if you have a poor seal it will not reach your desire rh it, so make sure humidor is well seal by using the flash light test... go in a dark place such as the bath room place the flash light inside your humi... close it hit the lights and see if the light is peeking through... but overall just make sure the ultral is refill and you should be good to go... :tu

In the very bottom corner covered by one of the dividers that came with the humi I just found a packet of silica gel. I'm thinking this may have been a contributor to my problem?

Not an expert here but isn't the CO Ultra the small battery powered unit that mounts under the lid? If so that could be why it's running out of water and shutting off. Just a thought.

Back