Anyone use cigar box as a humidor?

Dahman

Young Ape
Got a box of montecristo platinum la baie de la Havane and thought it would make a good humidor. Just did the light test, and it passed with flying darkness. :D In the process of seasoning it right now, just wanted to know if anyone has done this with this box or another box.

if it has a good seal go for it... i have one a la habana with a really tight seal, and i actually use to use it as a humi. I also have a la baie de la Havane like the one you bought that has no seal at all and would never coinsider using it as a humi...

Got a box of montecristo platinum la baie de la Havane and thought it would make a good humidor. Just did the light test, and it passed with flying darkness. :D In the process of seasoning it right now, just wanted to know if anyone has done this with this box or another box.

:tpd:

I know a few people who use those particular boxes as humis.

I agree as long as you have a good seal, you are good to go.

Using a tight box can work in the short term, but keep an eye on it. The added humidification can easily cause the lid to warp and lose the seal.

I’ve used a box on occasion and have had pretty good results, however I never used it on a long-term basis. Im guessing that there could indeed be a problem over time if the extra humidity causes the wood to warp. I guess you could just keep an eye on it and check the RH now and then.

Are you using it for the long haul or just as a short term fill in?

Ken

I've used boxes for storage before when my humidor was too full with no problems - but always temporary. I've seen alot of cigar boxes that could double as humis and don't think it would be a problem at all. :tu

This is an old thread, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in. Some boxes even come with the intention of being used as humidors. The RyJ Vintage for example. The box even comes with a humidifier.

This one works for me:
picture.php

I have some boxes that I use as desktop humis, like the Camacho Liberty boxes and such. I can't say if its a good idea long term or not because nothing stays in my desk tops for longer than 90 days before meeting a firery end.

I have a few of the 5 Vegas Limitada 06 boxes, and they work great. They are very heavy for cigar boxes and they both seal very well. I don't know if they all are made to work as Humi's or if I just got lucky with mine, but they work very well.

I got a couple RP cases from the B&M, and they strike me as heavy enough to be used as humidors.

I've never used a cigar box as a humidor, but I have used them to dry box sticks. That said, I've had up to 15 sticks in there for up to several weeks and they've smoked perfectly. So I think with a box that has a tight seal and a humidification element, you should be fine. :2

I know this thread is a bit old, but could someone explain what the light test is :confused:

I know this thread is a bit old, but could someone explain what the light test is :confused:

As I understand, you put a turned-on flashlight inside your humidor and close the lid. If you see light leaking though, it lets you know where you have a less-than-perfect seal.

Like has already been said -should work as long as the seal is good.....at least for awhile. But most cigar boxes are not constructed out of materials designed for long time use.....so I would keep an eye on it.

Mark

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a light was put in the box and the rooms lights were extinguished and to check for tightness of seal you look for a light emitting from a crack in the box. If no light then no leak. If no darkness- no humidor.

...you look for a light emitting from a crack in the box. If no light then no leak. If no darkness- no humidor.
You are on good ground.

I have used the laquered Montecristo White Label box as a desktop humi at my office for years. :tu

You are on good ground.

I have used the laquered Montecristo White Label box as a desktop humi at my office for years. :tu

:tpd:

I know several people that use that same Monte box as a desktop humidor or "smoking" box. Very well made and pretty close to humidor quality.

Back