Are Sample Packs a good idea?

Mr. Doug

Gorilla
I know this is a pretty broad question...but are sample packs really the way to go?

I usually like 2-3 of something before I know if I like it or not. I really don't think I'd want to buy two of every sample pack I come across...

Is there a RIGHT way to do this? Or am I just going to end up buying a bunch of "That one looks nice" at my FNCS?

Welcome to CS. I think samplers are a great to get going. You usually get better deals, per cigar, that way. You can always get great deals on 5 packs over a cbid if you need more than a couple. Go to the reviews forum and and check out top25cigar.com's database of thousands and thousands of cigars to see what poeple think of what they are smoking. There are alot of cigars out there. I started just trying everything and I am still doing that.

:2

Welcome to CS. I think samplers are a great to get going. You usually get better deals, per cigar, that way. You can always get great deals on 5 packs over a cbid if you need more than a couple. Go to the reviews forum and and check out top25cigar.com's database of thousands and thousands of cigars to see what poeple think of what they are smoking.

:2

I'm with Radioman 100% on this one, especially when it comes to someone just getting into the hobby. I hit the samplers pretty heavy for a good while there, and I found that it was a good way to get introduced to a lot of different sticks without having to take a big hit on the pocketbook.

While I am not the biggest fan of JRcigars I was just checking out their site today and they offer some pretty darn nice prices on their 5 packs. Not a bad way to go if you can find something you really would like to try.

Have to agree with whats been already said. Samplers are a good way not only to try a new smoke for a good price but also try different shapes or sizes of the line. I will usually smoke several cigars before purchasing a box.

Samplers are the way to go when you're first getting started down the slope. They give you a chance to sample a lot of different variables without breaking you. Once you get a feel for what you like, then it's time for 5 packs to be sure you really like em, then boxes and cabs.:tu

Ditto what everyone has said so far. It's not really that necessary to buy several packs at once - smoke one of each and then buy a few more of the ones that peak your interest to see if you really like them.

When I am trying a new cigar, I discount burn, draw, etc problems but concentrate more on the flavors, taste.

cigarsinternational.com normally has some really good sampler deals - left side of the page under samplers. And if you are smart about it, do your research and don't get caught up in the stupid bidding wars - CBid is also a great place to get cheap packets and samplers.

Ron

Wow...you guys must agree on EVERYTHING! (j/k)

I'll order a few tomorrow...now the tough question: Can anyone suggest a good sampler to start with?

Ditto what everyone has said so far. It's not really that necessary to buy several packs at once - smoke one of each and then buy a few more of the ones that peak your interest to see if you really like them.

When I am trying a new cigar, I discount burn, draw, etc problems but concentrate more on the flavors, taste.

cigarsinternational.com normally has some really good sampler deals - left side of the page under samplers. And if you are smart about it, do your research and don't get caught up in the stupid bidding wars - CBid is also a great place to get cheap packets and samplers.

Ron

Ron speaks the truth. You may want to try CI's auction site Cbid you can usually save a little over CI's prices. WARNING CBID IS ADDICTIVE BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE DEVIL SITE. Warning here Click

I went samplers then 5 packs then boxes. Get in on the newbie sampler trade and the newbie PIF that will give you a chance to try a lot of things. Also you don't have to be scared of the full flavored cigars everyones tastes are different.:2

Last edited:

I'll order a few tomorrow...now the tough question: Can anyone suggest a good sampler to start with?

CI has samplers from mild to full flavor and everything in between. Also check some of them use to come with a free desktop humidor. Plus they come in a nice boxes a single blade cutter and matches.

I agree samplers are the way to go at first, as there's no better cheaper way to try a very large range of smokes at a decent price.
Here's a pretty good one I just stumbled on:

www.powerhouseoffer.com/T7354

It's from Thompson Cigars, which in general I don't really like, but this is a sweet deal. 1 of each: Felipe Gregorio, Rocky Patel Vintage 1992, Cusano 18, CAO Gold, Partagas, Padron, Black Pearl, Punch, Warrior, Hoyo de Monterrey, La Gloria Cubana, Arturo Fuente, Gurkha, Macanudo Portofino, Torano Exodus 1959 Silver & CAO Brazilia. 16 Nice cigars for $29.95 plus 4.95 shipping. It was advertised in an in-flight magazine, & it's good until 6/30/07. If you're still looking for what you like (& what you don't), this is a good deal to jump on, IMHO.

I started with the Blue Chip #6 sampler from Cigars International, which came with a decently-sized desktop humidor and a selection of various good-quality smokes.

I started out with a few samplers, and I'm glad I did. Had the chance to experience a few different brands and it helped me figure out what I liked best.

I started out with a few samplers, and I'm glad I did. Had the chance to experience a few different brands and it helped me figure out what I liked best.
:tpd: Sample packs are just that...a great way to try new smokes, different brands and different lines of smokes that you do enjoy. :tu Seems most online cigar retailers offer them. Spend some time checking some out based on smokes you like.

I bought a couple of samplers when I was starting out, and I still buy them from time to time. I like to try a bunch of different cigars, and samplers are a cheap way to do it.

Back