Are Taboo Cigars high-quality?

TomHagen

CigarRabbi
I am realitively new at CS, but have been smoking for a while... so my question is...

Are Taboo cigars really high-quality? like that of Padron, Tat, Fuente etc..

I see them all over these forums, but am not going to waste time with just another boutique brand...

Just want an honest opinion of some real aficionados. I am always sceptical when you have to "buy-in" or join, especially when it comes to one of my favorite pastimes.

Thanks for the input.:ss

IMO, Taboos represent a great value smoke. For the price, you cannot beat them.

I think you may have misunderstood the Taboo Cigar Club concept. There's no required "buy in" -- currently, you can order Taboo Cigars directly from Taboo (www.taboocigars.com) without any pre-conditions. The club is a way to reward loyal Taboo smokers with discounts and access not normally available to the public. Rob has been a tremendous supporter of Club Stogie. He routinely offers us discounts of 20% to 40% and regularly runs contests giving away BOXES of smokes. Now that B&Ms are going to start carrying his sticks, he won't be able to offer those discounts as easily (from what I understand). The Taboo Cigar Club is a way for guys "who knew Rob when" to continue to benefit from that relationship. However, you don't have to join to buy his cigars -- only if you want discounts.

I will tell you I have not smoked one but done alot of homework on the Taboo line prior to odering a sampler that is on its way to me now. I think in using the search here on CS I managed to find plenty of reviews and posts regarding the quality of Taboo smokes. Out of those I think I saw one maybe two reviews of people not liking the line. But then even those only stated that they liked some of the line but not all. Just my 2 Cents on the subject. Personally I can not wait to smoke one of these myself.

I would consider Taboo a high quality cigar. They are absolutely one of the best values out there. I have several of there samplers and all the cigars are well constructed. The two I have smoked had both had excellent draw and burn. Don't forget about the value of customer service as well. If I have a problem with my Fuente cigars, I can't call up Arturo and get it resolved.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=172469

This is the link to the present non-club member discounts. Throw the Taboo bar in your sig and order a sampler. I don't think you will be disappointed but if you end up not liking them, pull the banner from your sig.

I am realitively new at CS, but have been smoking for a while... so my question is...

I see them all over these forums, but am not going to waste time with just another boutique brand...

Just want an honest opinion of some real aficionados. I am always sceptical when you have to "buy-in" or join, especially when it comes to one of my favorite pastimes.

Thanks for the input.:ss
I suggest ordering the assorted sampler from Taboo. That's how I and most CS members started enjoying the Taboo line of smokes. I'm sure you will find some, if not all, of Rob's smokes to your liking, and the sampler is very reasonable in price!:tu

I see some people saying that they are high quality cigars because they are such a great value. I don't equate quality with value.

The construction of the Taboos I have smoked was good. The flavor was decent, though much too mild for my personal tastes (before the Taboo lovers start getting defensive, read: "my personal tastes").

Would I rank them on par in quality with Padron, Fuente and Tatuaje? No.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. :2

I see some people saying that they are high quality cigars because they are such a great value. I don't equate quality with value.

The construction of the Taboos I have smoked was good. The flavor was decent, though much too mild for my personal tastes (before the Taboo lovers start getting defensive, read: "my personal tastes").

:tpd:

I never knew you were so smart.
:)

Tom knows things. :D Taboo is not a Premium brand(yet). A step under the ones he mentioned. But certainly on par with many of the "high-end" brands currently available. I will drop a couple of different Taboo blends in as extras with the package I am sending. :ss

Can't say that I am an expert or I have tried all the great cigars out there but I have had a few and to me they all are different and have their good points. I like Taboo because it offers "me" and "my" tastes a quality consistent, tasty smoke. The Twists are medium and the OB Maduro is a bit stronger and tasty in its own right.
Try the samplers to get started. As stated here in many places you will not get better customer service and as Icehog says "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke"

I agree and do not equate quality with value either, but do like to get both when making cigar purchases. I've had some Taboo cigars that were better than some of the brands you mentioned and vice versa. But both the brands you mentioned and Taboo have different levels of quality in their various offerings.

If you've read my reviews, you know I like the HSG, both Special Forces blends, and the Twist. Why not give them a shot and make your own judgment.
:2

My two cents. Taboo makes a reasonable cigar. But you walk before you crawl and Taboo isn't where Padron is at the moment. But its fairly true padron wasn't where Padron is now one year into the game.

I think if Rob continues to do what he is doing and love what he is doing he can become a brand of that quality, but currently he is still on the journey.

I will tell you I have not smoked one but done alot of homework on the Taboo line prior to odering a sampler that is on its way to me now. I think in using the search here on CS I managed to find plenty of reviews and posts regarding the quality of Taboo smokes. Out of those I think I saw one maybe two reviews of people not liking the line. But then even those only stated that they liked some of the line but not all. Just my 2 Cents on the subject. Personally I can not wait to smoke one of these myself.
:tpd:My first order is on its way too!:tu

I bought one of the Taboo Twists and gave it to a friend here,:ss so have never tasted one but I will.

Just want an honest opinion of some real aficionados.

Someone accused me of being an afficionado the other day. My response: "No, I am just a fanatic."

:)

Right now I am smoking a Padron Anni 1964. It is an amazing cigar. But I am not going to smoke one every day, partially because of the price, but also because I get bored with one smoke if I have one too often.

For me the Taboo Special Forces Original gives me plenty of strength and a great maduro taste. It is not as refined as the Padron Anni, but I am not all that refined a guy.

Sometimes you just need a smoke to relax with where you don't worry about catching every nuance of taste. ;-)

I think Rob is very good at what he does, which is produce a wide variety of well constructed everyday smokes.

no they suck. do not buy them....

(here's hopping that this post will allow me to get a few more for myself :) )

in all seriousness I've probably had more taboos then i have any other brand and I would say that they are a high quality smoke, good ash, good construction, good taste.

I like the cameroons. I'd say they are on comparable to many of the premium cigars out there. If given a choice between Taboo cameroon and most premiums, I'll take whatever is less expensive.

I have never smoked one, so my opinion really doesn't matter...

From what I understand Rob is not a blender he is a guy who buys cigars from manufactures from all over...

I am sure he is getting decent sticks at a decent price...

I have been gifted a few, just haven't smoked them yet...

I'm also curious ... but when I see:

Olivia V lancero 4.60 (fullers pullers 5 pk 23.00)
Fire corojo lancero 1.72 (famous 25 pk 42.99)
Taboo HSG lancero 4.99

Even with the discount with the silly sig line ad, I'm gonna pass.

I'm also curious ... but when I see:

Olivia V lancero 4.60 (fullers pullers 5 pk 23.00)
Fire corojo lancero 1.72 (famous 25 pk 42.99)
Taboo HSG lancero 4.99

Even with the discount with the silly sig line ad, I'm gonna pass.

:tpd: I havn't been impressed with any Taboo I have tried, flavor wise. Construction was good but they are not to my tastes.

Back