Are there any cheap but good ports out there?

pro2625

Cigars, Guns, and Booze
I was gifted a nice bottle of port but the $32 price tag is too high for me. So my question is are there any good ports out there that are cheap? Thanks guys:tu

Define your version of "cheap" first. I had a bottle of Sandeman Tawny Port, about $19 fo a bottle but it was pretty good in my opinion.

Jonesy is an Australian "port" style wine that is quite good at or around $8. Send pnoon a note, he mentioned a cheaper port, a while back.

scottie

Jonesy is an Australian "port" style wine that is quite good at or around $8. Send pnoon a note, he mentioned a cheaper port, a while back.

scottie

I think you are mistaken, Scottie. I know of some nice ports in the $12-$25 range. Below $10 it gets rather dicey. Lots of prior discussion on affordable ports can be found here at CS with just a little effort.

My preferences run toward the tawny ports.
http://www.thewineclub.com/120213
http://www.thewineclub.com/132263?id=5WxjiDIT&mv_pc=83

Last edited:
I am with the others on Six Grapes, a really nice port for under $20. A real sleeper imho is Porto Morgado, available at Trader Joe's. Under $8, a bit on the sweet side, but has some nice nuttiness and a bit of complexity. :tu

Hate to rock the boat, but I am not a 6 Grapes fan at all. I love Grahams' Vintage Port, but you can have the 6 Grapes... The one ruby port that I thought was decent was from Broadbent, made by Niepoort.

On the lower end (under $25.00), your best bets are either 10 year tawny ports or LBV (late bottle vintage).

Some good examples are:

Kirkland/Costco 10 Year Tawny
Ramos Pinto LBV
Noval Unfiltered LBV
Delaforce 10 Year
Fonseca LBV

I am with the others on Six Grapes, a really nice port for under $20. A real sleeper imho is Porto Morgado, available at Trader Joe's. Under $8, a bit on the sweet side, but has some nice nuttiness and a bit of complexity. :tu

Porto Morgado is great after a bottle or two of good port and you're on the 4th cigar. It is a good deal, I will give you that, but a little rough on the spirit.

Wow guys thank you for all the great information....Im going to have to start building up my port collection....

I LOVE PORT!

If you keep your eyes open you can find some good deals. The places I would start is at your local wine shop or bar, if you cant find any answers there pick up a wine mag. at the book store and read. Or do what I would do buy and drink then repeat. :tu

The places I would start is at your local wine shop or bar

Only order tawny at a bar, vintage and LBV is never served correct and the bottles tend to be open way too long. Both LBV and vintage have a shorter shelf life than tawny.

It's like the bartender giving you a beer that has been open for 5 hours; sure it is still cold, but does not taste like what it could/should...

also anotehr vote on hardy's whisker blake port, it is aged eight years and is quite yummy for the price. If you want a good one to laydown to match your cigars look intoo taylor fladgate vintage port about 100 but has 40 + years of aging potential. seconds on jonesy port as well got 94 points from old roberto parker!

I like Port, and typically have a few bottles per year. I most recommend a good quality 10 year old tawny port. They will run you about $25 per bottle. If your pocketbook allows it, there are fine older tawney ports too.

From Wiki:

"Tawny with an indication of age is a blend of several vintages, with the average years "in wood" stated on the label, the official categories being 10, 20, 30 and over 40 years. For each category, the average age of the various vintage is at least that of the given category."

Fonseca, Grahams, Taylor Fladgate, Warre, Sandeman are all reputable brands.

Back