Are you an aroma smoker? Try a Hoyo de Monterrey

fizguy

Lowland Gorilla
My lovely wife is away for the weekend and that means extra work for me taking care of the kids but it also means more cigars!

Last night I took the little DVD player on the patio and lit up a HdM excalibur #1 (I think it is #1...churchill). The robusto size of this cigar is listed on CA's top 50 cigars. I couldn't find one of them so I picked this one up at the B&M. It had the maduro wrapper.

The taste was not bad. Not great, but enjoyable. But the aroma is awesome! I have found that HdM, to me, are the most aromatic cigars around. Next time you want your significant other to enjoy your smoke, try one of these (dark sumatra and excalibur 1066 have it too, IMO).

Oh, and this morning I had a dark sumatra and this afternoon a Tatuaje reserva J21. Tonight I think it will be a Tat red label.

Yum!

Between a visit to Northern CA for her Mom's 84th B'day. Then a week in Orlando FL for business meeting, mine is gone for TWELVE days.

I am on #2 for the day....enjoying being able to burn a stick in the house...WITHOUT flack from the old ball and chain.

So far EVERYTHING I smoke STINKS to her senses. Have to try a Hoya!!

Nice to have some time apart every now and then...isn't it??:tu

FN in MT:cb

You're right on these, especially the HDM Dark Sumatras. You might also like the Bolivars -- very delightful aroma.

My lovely wife is away for the weekend and that means extra work for me taking care of the kids but it also means more cigars!

Last night I took the little DVD player on the patio and lit up a HdM excalibur #1 (I think it is #1...churchill). The robusto size of this cigar is listed on CA's top 50 cigars. I couldn't find one of them so I picked this one up at the B&M. It had the maduro wrapper.

The taste was not bad. Not great, but enjoyable. But the aroma is awesome! I have found that HdM, to me, are the most aromatic cigars around. Next time you want your significant other to enjoy your smoke, try one of these (dark sumatra and excalibur 1066 have it too, IMO).

Oh, and this morning I had a dark sumatra and this afternoon a Tatuaje reserva J21. Tonight I think it will be a Tat red label.

Yum!

Nice smoke.

If you really want aroma try some of Don Pepin's smokes (DPG blue and black label).

Just save some for me. :ss

I smoked the churchill of the dark sumatra last night courtesy of Bobarian. It did have a wonderful aroma, and a good flavor, however the aroma must have been too enticing as my girlfriend kept stealing it from me and smoking it herself. The perfect cigar to smoke around your girlfriend or wife so perfect she'll steal it from you. Long story short I was left with padilla 68

Last edited:
Small DVD Player while you smoke... that may be the most brilliant idea I've ever heard.

It's awesome. After a while the rain came, which is OK since my patio is screened in and covered, and my son came out so I turned the DVD off and we watched lightning for a while. The rain must have preceded a cold front because it became noticeably cooler so I finished the cigar and went inside to watch the rest of the movie.

This morning I enjoyed a Casa Torano with my coffee before waking the kids for church. It has been a great weekend!

Thanks for all the responses!

Good heads up on a good cigar.
I gave away my last HdM Excalibur by accident. The recipient enjoyed it as much as I would have.:D I went digging through my humi and couldn't find any! Oh, well. Always something else to smoke in there.:ss

My UPS guy has noticed I, ah, 'order a lot of cigars' and we got to talking one day. Turns out he's a BOTL so I sent him packing with a couple nice sticks after our chat.

The other day I find two of these Hoyo's de Monterrey Excalibur's waiting for me propped up against my door and since I know that's what he smokes I'm sure it's from Dan the UPS Man.

Did a search on 'em since it'll be my first HdM and happy to read it's a nice smoke. I'll pick a time when the wife is around to fire it up and see if she makes any comments about the aroma being any more or less stinky.

Thanks for the review!:tu:ss

These are my my go to sticks. In my experience they have been very reliable. I like all of them.... the maduro, the 1066, the dark sumatra. I can't recommend these enough (just don't tell the herf crew).

My humidor is full of these. I've been trying new things lately and doing a few reviews for club stogie. Meanwhile I miss my ol standby... staring at me through glass top of my humidor.

Back