Are you doing it right?

FriendlyFire

Alpha Silverback
I just got this in the Cigar.com email.

ARTICLE: The Art of Savoring a Cigar

How do you smoke a cigar? This may seem like a silly question, but you might be surprised to know that the majority of cigar enthusiasts are not smoking their cigars in a fashion that maximizes their flavor and full potential. For an aficionado, tasting a cigar is equally as intricate as a sommelier tasting a wine. Since we have covered the methods of properly lighting a cigar several times in our previous newsletters, lets pick up where we left off and now discuss the proper methods of smoking a cigar. The key component to tasting all of the elements a fine hand-made cigar has to offer is the draw. There must be enough smoke pulled into the palate to detect all of its nuances. To draw a cigar properly, although most aficionados have their own system, the most common practice used is referred to as the “1-2-3 method.” Using this method, each draw is a series of three puffs, the first two being strong and short while the third is one long, solid puff. This technique allows for the oils at the foot of the cigar (the lit end) to heat up quickly before drawing onto the palate. Please note that at no time during this whole process should the smoke be inhaled into your lungs.

The second phase is to use your mouth for the preliminary classification of flavors. In your mouth, the smoke does not have a discernable flavor, but rather stimulates specific areas of the palate to distinguish between the major areas of the tongue. These areas of the tongue pick up bitter (the center rear), acidic (rear sides), salty (front sides) or sweet (tip) flavors. A well-balanced cigar will stimulate each of these regions evenly. To help your palate with this process, puff out your cheeks and allow the smoke to swirl around in your mouth.

Now for the tricky step, utilizing your nose. This step is most often missed by cigar enthusiasts and is crucial to the smoking and tasting experience. While the mouth is important in identifying balance, the nose is where an aficionado will detect specific aromas like wood, leather, peat, spice, etc. After the smoke has swirled in your mouth, draw it to the rear of your throat (sometimes a swallowing action is required) and gently exhale part of the smoke through your nose. This is a very difficult talent to master and takes a lot practice. The key, as you get started, is to only blow 10% of the smoke through your nose and the rest out of your mouth. As you become more comfortable, you can increase this amount until you are ideally utilizing both your mouth and nose equally (50/50) when releasing the smoke. Exhaling through the nose is important because the nose is home to the majority of the flavor and odor receptors in the body. In fact, 80 to 90 percent of a cigar’s taste is actually detected by the nose.

So what now? You may have just read this and realized you have been doing it all wrong. I too had this realization several years ago after meeting Hendrik Kelner of Davidoff, who taught me many things about tasting and balance. After I transitioned to using my nose when enjoying a cigar, everything I tried tasted differently. Some of my favorites were suddenly not as enjoyable as I previously thought, and some other cigars I had some distaste for became my everyday smokes. Practicing proper technique is not something to be afraid of. Whether you are just starting out now or simply transitioning after many years of experience, utilizing some of these proper techniques will only heighten your enjoyment and appreciation for fine cigars.

Thanks for the article! I've been working on blowing the smoke from my nose, but I haven't quite been able to get it to work without killing the back of my throat. I'll have to try the 3 puff thing, too.

I can not nose smoke at all with any true reliability. The other stuff I have a good handle on, except I two puff rather than three puff. I'd also add to smoke your cigars as slowly and carefully stand to smoke them and it increases both richness and flavor.

The thing about Snorking is that I only do it with about 20% left over smoke from my puff. That way I don't try to force out too much at one time. If I try to exhale out all the smoke from my nose it causes me to cry like a big baby depending on the strength of the cigar.

I do the three puff thing, but not the nose thing. I would think it would burn though.

To be honest, I smoke my cigars the way I want to and not how some website article tells me to. If I had to concentrate on doing every little thing to get the max flavor out of the smoke, it would be far less enjoyable. I don't want to have to concentrate like I'm on trial for my life every time I smoke, I just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy. If that means I'm not doing it "right", so be it.

Thanks for the article just the same though. It was very interesting.

I find that while nose exhaling that if you let nearly all of the smoke out, 95%, but then draw 5% back in, it mellows the smoke significantly and lets me get more of the nuances out of the smoke.
That said, I think each person is going to have their own technique. If I didn't use this technique, and let out 10% of the smoke, it'd be burn city.

As for the 1-2-3 method, it's 1-2 for me.

I do the three puff thing, but not the nose thing. I would think it would burn though.

To be honest, I smoke my cigars the way I want to and not how some website article tells me to. If I had to concentrate on doing every little thing to get the max flavor out of the smoke, it would be far less enjoyable. I don't want to have to concentrate like I'm on trial for my life every time I smoke, I just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy. If that means I'm not doing it "right", so be it.

Thanks for the article just the same though. It was very interesting.

+1. I don't worry about the 3 puff thing or the nose exhale. For me, cigar smoking is just about chilling and having a good cigar. I don't need to detect Madagascar leather, or aged cougar, or any other BS.

One cannot truly appreciate all the nuances of a fine cigar until one masters exhaling smoke through their ears. :ss

+1. I don't worry about the 3 puff thing or the nose exhale. For me, cigar smoking is just about chilling and having a good cigar. I don't need to detect Madagascar leather, or aged cougar, or any other BS.

I've had a few aged cougars that were..........never mind. :bn

That was sort of my point. I was actually surprised by the 3 puff thing because I actually do that but not because I knew I was "supposed" to do it. I am not sure how I developed that habit.

I say smoke 'em however you want. Everyone has an opinion on the "how to".

However I have tried exhaling through the nose and it took my smoking expierence to the next level.

I must say, up until meeting CS, I never thought about snorking. Now, it is a must with any cigar if I intend to actually taste it fully.

While I do believe you should just smoke however you want to smoke, I would agree that exhaling **SOME** of the smoke out your nose is really important. It's really not that difficult and you will discover so many more flavors.

Back