Are you trendy??

Scud

Hairy Knuckle Dragger
How much do trendy smokes influence your purchases? Do you buy one X or Anejo when you'd just as easily enjoy 5 Edges or 5 of some other less expensive, less "uber-premium" smoke?

I left early from work and went over to a nice bar to enjoy a Tat and there was a moron choking down an X, obviously not enjoying it, but bragging about spending $$ on one cigar. I started talking cigars with the bartender, opened my travel humidor, and let him take his pick of the 15ish or so smokes I had with me. The guy smoking the X didn't know crap about cigars, but liked to talk as though he was Fuente himself.

Not claiming I know crap about cigars, but I do know I like smokin' 'em. :ss

It always makes me chuckle when people try to impress me by telling me how much money they spent on the cigar they are smoking/have smoked/are going to smoke/have in their humidor.

I am smoking the cigar in my hand because thats what I felt like smoking that day or want to try it, not because it was the most expensive stick in the humidor. Thats why I just take the band off before I light it because I could care less about what people think about the stick I am smoking. I either like it or I don't and the price has nothing to do with it.:2

I always keep the most expensive band I have ever bought in my wallet so i can slip it on any old dog rocket and look good even if my throat is on fire from the turd in my mouth ;)

I agree, if a 3 dollar cusano is your fav, smoke it and enjoy it, to hell with 20 dollar cigars that I wouldent enjoy anyways!

Anytime someone carries on about what they paid for anything, let alone smokes, they go into the a$$hole category for me.

If someone asks how much I paid I'll tell them, I won't offer it unsolicited.

Am I trendy? Well yes and no. For example I buy a lot of Opus, even thou I know I don't really enjoy them. But I don't smoke em, I sort of just collect em. So I'm not trendy that way, I only smoke what I really like, but I do buy rare cigars and I can be tricked into buying any limited release within reason.

When I first started smoking I always kept the band on the cigar. As I started learning more about smokes, trying different cigars, I got in the habit of taking the bands off of mine also. If someone is interested to know what I am smoking, I am more than glad to tell them. But is more fun to keep the information to myself, and only I know what I have in my hand. The guy next to me can speculate all day about what I am smoking. :tu:ss

I have a co-worker that thinks the more you spend on a cigar the better it is. I told him that's BS. So about a week ago I gave him a Flor da Oliva and with the band off and told him it was a $10.00 and ask how'd he like it. He said it was great and that it proved his point the more you pay the better. Than I pulled out another Flor De Oliva with the band and told him it was a $2.00 cigar. :r He laughed called me a smart azz and wanted to order some. :r

Am I trendy? Well yes and no. For example I buy a lot of Opus, even thou I know I don't really enjoy them. But I don't smoke em, I sort of just collect em. So I'm not trendy that way, I only smoke what I really like, but I do buy rare cigars and I can be tricked into buying any limited release within reason.
Yes, but it's really not your fault. Addiction is a disease.

trendy, not really... i like the old cuban stuff... not a fan of new relsease stuff, except maybe for the regional...

I smoke what I want to. I like to try different things, which is why I ordered that JR sampler with the real ones and their impressions of them. The first one I tried was pretty much the same as the original, I can't wait to try more of them. One of these days when the carousel slows down, I'm going to pick one and offer the pair up for a blind taste test for giggles.

I have seen guys in my local cigar shop pretend like they're trying to take the band off their cigar, but not really try that hard, and leave it on in hopes that other people will see what they're smoking.

I always laugh when I see that happen. It's really personal preference and you shouldn't be offended if someone leaves the band on their cigar, but I always take mine off just because cigars should not indicate status, they should just be shared among equals. Whether you're smoking a $2 cigar or a $20 cigar, the pleasure is in the conversation with whom you are smoking.

Nope, I don't take part in the fuente hunt mainly for this reason. For some reason, at least with me, when I go north of 12 or 15 bucks a smoke (of which I own a total of 5) I begin to feel that cigars start to experience the law of diminishing returns pretty quickly.

But then again, I am contemplating pulling the trigger on a box of the Padron 80th perfectos WHEN the wife ain't there. So pay me no mind........

I still have a flat top, been out of the Corps 19 years. Jeans and t-shirts at home, Khakis and Polo's the rest of the time. Smoke the cigars I like no matter what the hype. My daughter and step daughters always give me crap about not being in style. I'm old and have no style, and I'm okie dokie with that. I do like gadgets though.

When I first started smoking I always kept the band on the cigar. As I started learning more about smokes, trying different cigars, I got in the habit of taking the bands off of mine also. If someone is interested to know what I am smoking, I am more than glad to tell them. But is more fun to keep the information to myself, and only I know what I have in my hand. The guy next to me can speculate all day about what I am smoking. :tu:ss

I agree and do the same, you just have to take care so as to not tear up the wrapping, I always warm it up a bit first. :2

I agree and so the same, you just have to be careful to tear the wrapper :2

I like trying new releases, a cigar may be getting a lot of hype online and I'll try it, but to me thats not really trendy.

To me trendy is a flashing neon cigar box, or a cigar thats shaped or wrapped like something from outerspace. Trendy cigars also include fancy packaging that I have to pay for that add nothing to the flavor, put three cigars in a tin and jack the price up two times, no thanks.

So Trendy nah... I guess I'm not.

I only smoke the ones with pretty wrappers :r Can't say trendy, I just know what I like and now and then I like to take adventures into the unknown :tu

I still have a flat top, been out of the Corps 19 years. Jeans and t-shirts at home, Khakis and Polo's the rest of the time. Smoke the cigars I like no matter what the hype. My daughter and step daughters always give me crap about not being in style. I'm old and have no style, and I'm okie dokie with that. I do like gadgets though.

Uh-Rah!!!

Back