Armored Humidor Systems 15 stick

rsamos

Dark Simian of the Sith
Kind of a tough one to review, as unless you forget it under the wheel of the car or let it fall out of the boat you may not get to see all the advantages of Pelican cases. I use a larger (1440) Pelican case for cameras and lash that to the deck of my sea kayak when I go offshore on Lake Superior. It's seen water. Cold, wet, water. I have never for a moment worried about my cameras in it. This is pretty much the same thing only smaller.

pelican_34.jpg

How small? Outside measurements are - 9.25" long X 7.75" wide X 4.5" deep.

pelican_36.jpg

Make no mistake. It may say 'Armored Humidor Systems' on the top, but this is a Pelican. Even says so on the purge valve.

pelican_39.jpg

The latches while a bit different than it's bigger brother are gonna hold. They're tight!

pelican_33a.jpg

Like any good Pelican, it has stupidly strong hinges and an o-ring in the lid.

pelican_33.jpg

It will hold 15 cigars up to 8" long, and won't be too crowded unless you start adding a bunch of them with more than a 52 rg. It holds them in three stacked trays, and under the bottom one is a couple 69% Humidipaks (though I may swap out for 65%). The system is so tightly sealed, that the Humidipaks should last quite some time.

Most of this comes at the cost of size. It's a bit larger than you're average 15 stick box. But it's all about overkill - nothing is going to happen to your sticks in there.

I must say that's an ugly a$$ humi; but, on the bright side, there's absolutely no way yer sticks'll get harmed.

Great review... wonder how much it varies from the 18 count otterbox...
Thanks.

From the photos, other than the obvious size and the cosmetic differences it looks like the Otterbox has a manual purge valve, and nicer latches. It also looks like it has a shiny finish rather than the pebble grain of the Pelican. I wonder if they're made of the same materials.

It is hard to tell which one (Armored vs. Otter) is sturdier so to speak, but they are both going to do the job. My Uncle has an armored humidor and I carry the Otter Boxes (acutally, now Cigar Caddy as they split off the company from Otter), so I have seen both in person.
The main difference is the 15-stick Armored Humidor is $59.99 on their website and the 18-Stick Otterbox I sell for $41.99.

Dave

I currently have a 15c. Armored, and love it. It holds everything I need and then some. I've had it for about 2 years, and it has worked beautifully. It holds humidity very well (only have to change the Boveda every ~3 months, depending on use), and is tough as hell. I've dropped it, but haven't run over it...yet.

I used to have a 15ct Cigar Caddy before I upgraded to the Armored. I prefer the armored by far. I think the 18ct. Cigar Caddy is much better than the 15ct I used to have. By comparison, in the 15 ct I used to have, it was very tight if you tried to fit 15 sticks in it with all 3 trays. If you pull out a tray they'd fit, but if you didn't, you'd have 3 rows of box pressed sticks (assuming you could close it).

As for the trays in the Armored, I have had no issues with larger ring gauge sticks in there. There has been plenty of room. About the only issue with it's size that I've had is that I had to lay a Sancho Panza Sancho at an angle in it. :)

I'm very satisfied and would definitely recommend it.

Back