Aromatic cedar

hoosier

ChestBeater
On my way home yesterday, I stopped in a "cigarette store" that had a walk-in humidor. I had never been in the place before and when I opened the door to the humi, I was almost knocked over by the overwhelming smell of cedar. The room was about 15' X 15' and all four walls were lined with aromatic cedar. They had a decent selection of cigars and their prices seemed okay, but I didn't buy anything because I was worried that the aromatic cedar might ruin the taste of the cigars. Anyone have any ideas if this would be the case? I thought about saying something to the workers, but decided against it because they were watching TV behind the counter. Needless to say, I won't be stopping in there again.

I personally have no experience in this, but my guess would be that it would not entirely ruin/change the taste of the cigar. I don't even think that they purposefully made the cedar to be that aromatic but instead it just came like that.

P.S. - i love the Tool Avatar...

Aromatic cedar and Spanish Cedar are two different species of wood.

Aromatic cedar is normally found inside closets and such to keeps moths and other bugs away.

What color was the cedar ? Was it a dark brown(almost red) or was it a pale brown ? Some spanish cedar can be quite pungent . However the aromatic cedar , which you're referring to is most likely Western Red Cedar and is generally used to line closets and drawers with , can be very pungent to keep moths and other bugs away from clothes . If the cedar had any white streaks in the grain then it was definitely not Spanish cedar . When spanish cedar is freshly cut the open parts of the grain will give off a strong odor and will weaken with exposure over some time . Is it possible the humi room was newly constructed ? If so , that could be the cause of the strong smell . :u

It definitely wasn't spanish cedar. It almost looked like an aromatic cedar/particle board combination paneling.

It definitely wasn't spanish cedar. It almost looked like an aromatic cedar/particle board combination paneling.

yea I don't think its spanish... I lined my closet with that... def a no go... maybe you should ask the employee... not that they would know anything but try to at least save the cigars...

yea I don't think its spanish... I lined my closet with that... def a no go... maybe you should ask the employee... not that they would know anything but try to at least save the cigars...

Tell them you have some space, AKA your humi that they can store the sticks while they work out the issue. Charge them a nominal fee, such as all the sticks you can smoke :D

I wouldn't even consider buying from them. Red cedar or western cedar will almost certainly give your sticks a nasty taste. Don't risk it.

Everyone talks about how aromatic cedar can and will change the taste of cigars. In what way? would it be like smoking the inside of a hampster cage? I might buy something inexpensive from there just to get a definitive answer for myself. Course I am sick like that.

Do it! I would be interested to know. I had never smoked a cigar kept in a spanish cedar humidor before yesterday. I've since learned how well this wood accents the flavors of many cigars. I would say it adds a dark, rich, hickory/cedar smokey taste to them, a bit tangy and slightly metallic like a smoked meat. Tasty...

Glad i'm a CS member awhile back i almost sprung for an aromatic cedar chest for my stogies. Didn't know the diff would have been great to keep the moths off my cigars

Aromatic cedar:

20011101_You_Can_Fix_It_page003img003.jpg

Spanish cedar:

spanish_cedar.jpg

Note the difference in grains and obviously the beige spanish cedar colour to the red aromatic cedar colour.

Back