ash or no ash?

kgraybill

ChestBeater
Do you find that keeping the ash on as long as you can enhances the flavor?

I noticed that just after I knock the ash off, the flavor changes slighty. personaly, I like to keep as much ash as possible.

we have these topics quite often. It's a personal preference, just like many things regarding this hobby. I believe most folks would say they like to admire their long ash.

You may want to search for this topic. There was just a long thread about this a week or so ago. Personally I don't think it much matters.

I slouch when I smoke, so no ash... less belly button burns that way. Try explaining that one at the Emergency Room. :tu

I seem to like to keep the ash. I think it helps the cigar stay lit a little better.

If I'm sitting, I sometimes play the "how long can the ash get?" game.
If it's a cigar I haven't had before, I like to see some ash because it tells a lot about how well the cigar is rolled. It's just a matter of appreciation. I enjoy seeing that uniform, perfect ash.
But as a rule, I knock my ash off regularly. It's usually because I'm busy and don't want ash falling in whatever I'm working on.
I don't notice a difference in flavor, but I know for fact that my ashlessness causes goofy burns. My cigars run a lot and need touched up a lot. I also smoke really fast and that just compounds the issue.
I usually don't even notice how screwed up my cigar is until i have a burn that's run an inch down one side and it starts tasting funny. I'll try to correct it with the lighter, or I'll just grab some pruning shears, prune it back, and fire up again. :tu

For me it is a thin line between being the coolest guy with the long ash and the fool as a human ashtray. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. :D

I leave the ash on as long as I can, mostly because I seem to have more burn problems if I knock it off.

If I'm sitting, I sometimes play the "how long can the ash get?" game.
If it's a cigar I haven't had before, I like to see some ash because it tells a lot about how well the cigar is rolled. It's just a matter of appreciation. I enjoy seeing that uniform, perfect ash.
But as a rule, I knock my ash off regularly. It's usually because I'm busy and don't want ash falling in whatever I'm working on.
I don't notice a difference in flavor, but I know for fact that my ashlessness causes goofy burns. My cigars run a lot and need touched up a lot. I also smoke really fast and that just compounds the issue.
I usually don't even notice how screwed up my cigar is until i have a burn that's run an inch down one side and it starts tasting funny. I'll try to correct it with the lighter, or I'll just grab some pruning shears, prune it back, and fire up again. :tu
:tpd::tu

I don't know how having more ash on your cigar could enhance the flavor. However, I tend to let the cigar do its thing (to a point). That is, when I see that it's about ready to dispose of the ash, I do so; although sometimes I don't read the cigar/ash right and I find my lap with a bit of ash because I just let it go. One of the things I like about letting the cigar burn naturally (which mean accumulating ash) is because it tends to help the cigar burn more evenly as well as continuing to burn. If you have a cigar with little or no ash, you will have to re-light it often usually, which I would rather not have to do.

I generally will keep the ash to about an inch and then let it go. As others have said, it helps with the burn. There are times when I take a draw immediately after the ash falls and I taste a bit of harshness on that very first draw. I am willing to concede this may be a psychological thing though. :ss

Jim

I like to see if I can nub a cigar without ashing... it turns into a balancing act. I have only successfully done it once with a CAO Gold robusto.

I personally like to watch the burn to see how well the cigar was constructed. I also like the burn better with the ash on.

YMMV :2

I just experienced the the "ash-lap" syndrome tonight while studying for a promotional exam...

I was admiring the burn and the perfect ash, then went back to studying. When I went for a drag, I got the full dose of about two inches...

Oh well... :D

:chkisn't the right quetion "ass or no ass" ???:chk

I tend not to pay too much attention to the ash after i have first inspected its form and quality...

cheers

Back