Ashton Aged Maduro #30

RaiderinKS

Lowland Gorilla
I burned this bad boy earlier this week. Age is approximately 1 year humidor kept.

This is the pic straight outta the 'dor:

Check out the smooth and oily goodness:

My equipment for the day, including a cup of Starbucks African Kitamu coffee made in a french press and a book about evolution. WTF, evolution in Kansas? Yeah, not everyone here is dumb:

I cut with a Xikar. Unfortunately, I think this stick was a little dehydrated, at least, enough that I partially split the cap when cutting it. However, with a little saliva, it proved to be no biggie:

Initial burn is flawless, as you would probably expect. Initial puffs give a very cool smoke with a very easy draw. Not Davidoff easy, but still nice. Flavors are mild initially, light woodsy (oak?) with slight pepper:

The first third burns extremely cleanly. There is a very gradual progression here from the light woodsy and pepper to an earth tone. This has a good progression in strength, but it doesn't move too fast. Take a look at construction quality (the ash got to about 1.25"~1.5"):

The ash finally fell off. The flavor stayed relatively constant for me through the middle third:

I got into my book too much, and my light started to go out. However, I wouldn't blame it on the stick. The wind outside in KS can be insane, and it was today. I got slight tunnel when I tried to revive the burn, so I relit after this pic. Absolutely zero problems:

In the last third, this stick really showed it's teeth by ratcheting up the spice again. However, the smoke remained velvety smooth the whole time:

The finish was of decent strength. It kept increasing right up to end and had zero bitterness or bite. Not quite as badass as I am used to, but again, smooth as any maduro I have had in a while. Smooth to the last puff:

In conclusion, I expected a bit more bite, and in retrospect I should have had a much milder coffee. I think the strength of my drink really dampered some of the flavors through the middle. However, this was one of my best afternoons in months. I also recommend the aging, although I think 1 year is probably too much. Four to six months sounds right. Overall burn was dead on even. Also a little fast, but probably due to the slight dehydration. I recommend this smoke.

Thanks. This is my first try at a review.

Honestly, I think that I actually enhanced my enjoyment by stopping to take the pictures. It forced me to look at the different qualities of the burn and odor more. In the past, I would just light and burn. Kinda fun!

The whole sitting down to write a review of a smoke does make you pay more attention. Before hanging out at CS I never thought about a cigar while I was smoking it. I always enjoyed them but now I notice a lot more and appreciate the whole experience more actively. Great start.

Back