Ashton - Cabinet Selection - Tres Petit

Jeff

Head to the grindstone...
Ashton - Virgin Sun Grown - Tres Mystique

Had my first Cabinet Selection today. It was the Tres Petit (4.38 X 42).

Man, what a fantastic short smoke! The prelight aroma was a positive indicator of what was to come. Perfect firmness and wrapper construction. I lit the little guy up and was delighted with the succulent flavor and aroma. Thre Tres Petit started off full of flavor but developed an even richer and slightly spicy tone as I reached the halfway point.

This is one cigar that I didn't want to end. Right to the nub it held a tantalizing flavor that never got bitter or acrid. There was an underlying nuance of red wine that kept popping up. It was an awesome smoking experience indeed.

Thanks to hollywood for gifting it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice review Jeff. I really like the Tres Mystique in the VSG line and have been wanting to give this one a try.

Now I won't be able to put it off any longer.

Nice review Jeff - that's a great mid-day smoke.

Jeff said:
Had my first Cabinet Selection today. It was the Tres Petit (4.38 X 42).

If you liked that, try the #6.

qwerty1500 said:
If you liked that, try the #6.

Oh yeah. the ole #6.

That's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course. :)

Thanks for the review. I look forward to trying that one soon.

I have smoked a few of the Ashton Cabinet Tres Petits over the past couple weeks, and when they are "on" they are definitely a fabulous medium-bodied smoke, full of cedary sweet flavors that never let up.

But when they are "off", they are really off - with pure bitterness (like old coffee) all the way through the smoke with the delicious flavors described above relegated to the background.

One of these, smoked last Saturday (along with 3 other cigars) was definitely "on". One smoked tonight (from a different source) at the driving range was "off".

It is this proverbial gamble that prevents me from wanting to buy a box, and keeps me from the Ashton Cabinet line (and other lower Ashton lines) in general. They are too expensive to forgive the occasional "dud". If I was a betting man (which I am), I would rather gamble on the VSG, which are always good although strong.

Re: Ashton - Virgin Sun Grown - Tres Mystique

All the Cabinets I have smoke have never been bad... Burn is consistent, smooth and creamy taste... The VSG is these with a little kick to it!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Thanks for the review

Glad to see this thread come back up. Over the past couple a months I have come to realise that the Ashton Cabinets are at the top of my current list of all-time favorites.

I have been smoking them, buying singles at the B&M and ordering boxes. They smoke very nicely when they're fresh, but, as someone mentioned on another thread, they are INCREDIBLE after a year. :) Larry.

Glad to see this thread come back up. Over the past couple a months I have come to realise that the Ashton Cabinets are at the top of my current list of all-time favorites.

I have been smoking them, buying singles at the B&M and ordering boxes. They smoke very nicely when they're fresh, but, as someone mentioned on another thread, they are INCREDIBLE after a year. :) Larry.

Yeah, I brought this thread back as I prefer to read old reviews and add my thoughts instead of starting a new review for an already-reviewed-to-death cigar. Its cool to see stuff that was penned a couple years ago.

Now, I had an Ashton Heritage Puro Sol on Saturday, and it smoked GREAT!!! I loved the flavor from start to nub. Maybe the bad Cabinets I have had just needed some time to rest?

Ah well, like I said, when they are on, they are "ON". Next time, Ill let them rest for a while prior to smoking.

Yeah, I brought this thread back as I prefer to read old reviews and add my thoughts instead of starting a new review for an already-reviewed-to-death cigar. Its cool to see stuff that was penned a couple years ago.

Now, I had an Ashton Heritage Puro Sol on Saturday, and it smoked GREAT!!! I loved the flavor from start to nub. Maybe the bad Cabinets I have had just needed some time to rest?

Ah well, like I said, when they are on, they are "ON". Next time, Ill let them rest for a while prior to smoking.

Yes, I agree, the Ashtons do well with some rest.

I received a box of the regular white label Prime Minister's 2 months ago, and they had an ammonia smell. I tried one, and it was not bad, but just a bit green. A month later had another, it was better. Have decided to give this particular box another 3 months before beginning to smoke them.

Remember the old saying about sex - Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good! Same for Ashton IMO. Larry.:dr

Back