Attention North Carolinians!

NCRadioMan

More cigars Sanchez!
The low 3% tax on cigars is changing October 1st! NC's tax on cigars after 10/1/07 will jump to 10%.

Just a heads up! Buy now before prices increase!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up! This really burns me up, though. NC going up... the potential national tax as part of SCHIP... hurts to see freedoms eroding. :tg

Ouch! Thanks for the 'heads up" I swear NC is turning into a NORTHERN state with all the tax and spend opportunities it keeps developing!
:sb

I just read this about my state, CA:

Owners of small cigar and pipe shops visited the California state Capitol in August urging senators and assembly members to vote against any increased taxes on cigarettes because of the subsequent impact on cigars, pipe tobacco, and smokeless tobacco. California is the only state in the country that links cigar and OTP tax to cigarette tax rates, and a current proposal could increase the cigar tax by 50% next year if passed, crippling the cigar and pipe tobacco businesses. "Most alarming from our standpoint was the number of senators and assemblypersons who were simply unaware of the OTP tax," said Charles Janigian, president of the California Association of Retail Tobacconists. Linda Squires, owner of The Squire tobacco shop in Santa Rosa, said "If the tax on cigars and pipe tobacco goes up again, I'll simply have to close my doors." More than 100 tobacco stores in California went out of business following the passage of Proposition 10 in 1998

Tobacco has become an easy target. With so many people believing that smoking is an automatic death sentence, and that smokers are all evil folks that want to poison the poor non-smokers with their second-hand smoke, we've all got that red bull's eye on our butts.

The politicians act like they're doing this for our benefit (making it too expensive to smoke so we'll quit before we all get cancer), but they need the money from our taxes to pay for whatever ridiculous government spending programs they've devised. When they've driven us to quit smoking, where are they going to get the money? -from everybody else, which is why smokers and nonsmokers alike should be against increasing tobacco taxes to fund pork-barrel spending.

All this from a state where, as a kid I saw "Tobacco Money Pays my Bills" on bumpers of every other car coming down the highway.

Well Greg, you and Brent are just gonna have move up here to Va! We can herf on the deck mates.

Back