AVO 22 - Original US Release - 98 Points

khubli

Elder Jungle Leader
This is my Holy Grail Cigar. I had been searching for these since I found my first box of LE5 last November. This is an Original U.S. Relase AVO 22 from the limited number of Cannisters produced, Cylinder 284/2700. These arrived 24 hours ago from a Davidoff Dealer. I couldn't wait any longer to light one up.

US22Review1.jpg

US22Review2.jpg

Frontmark/Vitola/Size: AVO 22 - Perfecto
Toro - 50 x 5 7/8ths

Wrapper: Connecticut seed, Ecuadorian sun grown

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Combination of four different Dominican Tobaccos

Online Sources: Limited Production cigar from 2002 that is not available at any retailers that I know.

First Impression: The wrapper on this example is rough compared to other AVOs that I've smoked in the past. There are several prominent veins running throughout the length. I wonder if these will detract from the burn. Pre-light aroma is sweet honeysuckle tobacco, a little musty. I clipped the cap with my Palio.

Prelight Draw: The Pre-light draw is on the easy side considering the perfecto shape. There is enough resistence to get a good draw.

Light: Toasted the foot and took my first draw at 6:50 PM, pleasant outside in the upper 70's. The Sun is setting. I'm looking forward to smoking this cigar outside an empty house with no distractions. Tonight it's just me and the 22.

Pairing - Hot Green Tea

Smoking the Cigar: The first draw presented a clean tobacco taste. Immediately I started salivating. Holding the smoke in my mouth blowing out gently through my nose presents a fantastic citrus/floral finish. The draw is picking up creamy Gingerbread flavors. This is in the first 1/4 inch. The body is mild. This cigar produces generous amounts of smoke.

US221.jpg

There is buttercream late on the finish which is sublime. I noticed this 20-30 seconds into the finish.

This cigar has a nice balance of the flavors mentioned above throughout the cycle of draw to finish. I'm digging this smoke. One inch into the cigar, there is a clean burn, it's just the slightest bit uneven.

US222.jpg

The ash fell of at about an inch and half. The burn is razor sharp. The flavor profile is growing in intensity. My neighbors came over with a bowl of Shrimp Stir Fry (to be eaten later) and a bit of conversation, so I was distracted for a bit. Back to the 22.

US223.jpg

There is a strong blast of nut on the draw with the slightest cool spice on the tongue. I'm a little over the half way point and there is a blast of honey on the draw. What a great evening. The Green Tea is a perfect pairing for this cigar in the early evening before dinner. I'm getting hungry.

US224.jpg

I smell Candy Canes blowing smoke through the nose. This cigar definately does not suck. The burn on an AVo in itself is a beautiful thing. When you add the flavor profile of this cigar, it's exhilirating. The body is still mild approaching the medium spectrum. I'm getting antsy because I do not want this cigar to end. I'm an hour into the burn. This thing keeps picking up in flavor intensity the further you get into the burn.

2 inches left on the cigar, I need to slow it down. It's picking up the slightest bit of harshness, but I'm burning it hotter and faster. The flavor mix is exhilirating. It's hard to smoke this one slow. The cigar is a solid medium in body now.

US225.jpg

The nutty/creamy profile has disappered to be overtaken with a honey sweet tobacco flavor. The cigar finishes minty sweet in the last inch. Well all good things must come to an end. I could continue on this cigar down to the nub, but I don't want to ruin a good experience picking up any hot harsh smoke which this is tending towards.

Summation:

This is an excellent cigar that burned for an hour and 50 minutes. The best of the best in the AVO line. It's a shame Kelner can't recreate this blend. I'll enjoy the remainder that I have and hope that I can find more before none can be found. This has been a best smoking experience I've had in awhile. I believe the solitude and green tea had much to do with the experience as well. I'm going to eat my bowl of shrimp stir fry now.

US226.jpg

My Scale for rating is as follows:
Appearance: 1-10
Construction: 1-10
Burn: 1-10
Taste: 1-10
Overall Experience: 1-60

For this cigar:
A- 8
C- 10
B- 10
T- 10
O- 60 (doesn't get much better than this)

For a total score of: 98

Great review!!! I hope to one day try one of these. Looks like Ill be scowering the net to find a source.

2 hours later... I'm still intoxicated with this cigar. Some buddies are thinking about lighting one up, but I think it will ruin what I enjoyed in a cigar earlier.

DROOL

:blGreat Review,:bl
On the downward spiral into the world of CC's I am constantly drawn back to AVO's everytime I see them, or read a review.
I am in a constant state of searching to find that one place with 22's left.

With all your AVO whoreness it seems to me that you deserve to have these.

ENJOY

B

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew Ji was the author ...

Nice review and I concur with all you said. This is one of those cigars that begs to be enjoyed in a solitary setting. You can revel in the complex flavor profiles and really appreciate life and the fine art of cigar making.

Have you had the Euro version yet?

Yes, that was the cannister I found when I was in Korea. It may be time to smoke another one of those soon. I can't remember if you said the profile on the Euro Version was more intense or refined. I vaguely remember the last one Euro I smoked. It was more flavorful and intense than the Outlaw 22s I had acquired earlier this year.

Back