AVO "Classic" Robusto

thebiglebowski

Lowland Gorilla
Well, last night I was on the fence over whether I was going to have a smoke or not, but the (now departed) unseasonably warm weather here in Nashville - about 70 degrees yesterday - pushed me over the edge and I decided to go small as a compromise with myself. Just an AVO, nothing terribly fancy - no ISOMs, LFD Chisel, et al.

I bought a box of these maybe 4 months ago and am over halfway thru it. I kind've like these guys as an occasional change of pace from the more full-bodied and spicy cigars I typically enjoy. The AVO has an unassuming, mild, not-gonna-offend-anyone sort of a cafe au lait thing going on.

Well, this one was just plain weird...

Everything was cool, pre-lit. Once lit, well, for the first half of the cigar... nothing. Virtually, I could taste nothing. Again, this cigar is mostly unassuming, but... nothing? Construction-wise it was flawless - as I've come to expect this cigar to be. I started to wonder if my latest choices of very strong cigars (ISOM Boli, LFD Double Ligero, Joya de Nicaragua, etc) had over-baked my palate or something....

And then, halfway thru the cigar, I could taste sick grassy flavors and it became hotter. Not enjoyable. At all.

And THEN, with just a bit left - maybe the last 1 1/2 inches - it changed again. for the last 5 minutes of this wholly disappointing cigar's life, it was rather enjoyable. Creamy, unobtrusive, light coffee and nutty sort've flavor. Pleasant. And then, it was done.

Very strange. As I said the first 14 out of the box were fine and again, I don't expect to be knocked on my butt by this cigar. I think this was just a bad one...

Oh, well. It's Friday and you know what that means! Martinis and... um, something cuban, perhaps.

cheers!

hmm that is strange..

this better explains my usual experiance:

" it was rather enjoyable. Creamy, unobtrusive, light coffee and nutty sort've flavor. Pleasant. "

the AVO classic is one of my favorite mild cigars, teh construction, burn and draw on them are so consistant

Back