Bóveda Hygrometer Calibration Kit

Product: Bóveda One Step Calibration
Type: Hygrometer Calibration Kit

BACKGROUND: If you have purchased a box of Fuente Hemingway Series, Fuente Fuente Opus X, or Don Carlos, you’ve probably seen this product. Fuente’s fine cigars come shipped with a small humidity packet inside the box. Bóveda, using Humidipak’s two-way humidity control technology, is looking to make a huge impact in the cigar humidification industry.

The patented technology of the two-way humidity control is impressive. The packet responds to the outside environment by adding or depleting pure water vapor as needed to maintain a constant internal environment.

SET UP AND USE: [Score: 96]
The hygrometer calibration kit consists of a thick, high-barrier plastic bag, much like a refrigerator storage bag, and a Bóveda humidity packet, set at 75.5% relative humidity (RH). The set up couldn’t be easier. You just insert a hygrometer (either digital or analog) into the bag along with the packet and then close the top zipper. After waiting 24-36 hours, you check the hygrometer display. If you have an analog hygro, you can then adjust it to the correct humidity level or, if you have a digital hygro, you cannot adjust it but can note the margin of error and take that into account when reading the values. Bóveda recommends that you calibrate your hygrometers every 6 months (The packets are guaranteed to be accurate for 3 months).

FUNCTION: [Score: 94]
I used the kit to calibrate 3 different digital hygrometers. The first, a Little Havana, had a reading of 79% RH after 25 hours, which was a +4.5% error factor. The second hygro was a Humidor Supreme 3" Digital Hygrometer (74% RH, -1.5% error) and a third was a different Little Havana, just to see if the error was consistent across hygrometers from the same manufacturer (79% RH, +4.5% error). The error factor was indeed consistent.

For those of us who prefer digital hygrometers, because of their accuracy relative to analog hygros, the calibration system is a godsend. Since digital hygros can’t be calibrated, the best you can hope for is to know, with relative certainty, the margin of error and then factor that error into the readings. The calibration kit makes knowing the margin of error a snap. One thing to keep in mind is that the humidity packets are only guaranteed to be accurate to +/- 3%. That means that there is still some imprecision in the overall measurements.

VALUE: [Score: 95]
At a MSRP of $4.97 per kit, this is a good deal. With one packet, you can calibrate as many hygrometers as you wish. I would recommend this product without reservation.

OVERALL SCORE: 95 = STOGIE FRESH GOLD STAR RATING

If I can add something regarding the accuracy of the Boveda. Humidipak prints the +/- 3 accuracy on its humidipaks/Bovedas to compensate for leaky humidors. In an airtight container, the Bovedas are actually accurate within a half point. This info comes from Tim at Humidipak. I use airtight canisters to calibrate Avallo Accumonitors. The results are amazing. No where less can you get a calibration tool so accurate for so little $. Great review.

I just received their 75.5 calibration kit to figure out once and for all which digital hygr. was the correct of my two. Two different radio shack models, one is 3 under, the other right on. Great peace of mind for about $5. Nice review on a great product.

Sickboy said:
I just received their 75.5 calibration kit to figure out once and for all which digital hygr. was the correct of my two. Two different radio shack models, one is 3 under, the other right on. Great peace of mind for about $5. Nice review on a great product.

What was the model of the one that was right on?

The Doc

Dr. Stogie Fresh said:
What was the model of the one that was right on?

The Doc
I'll have to take a pic, as there is no visible model number. It's a small rectangle, maybe 1.5" x 3". Also it's been discontinued by the Shack, which is why I purchased the other model. You can sort of see it here (up top). I'll post a better one if needed.

Sickboy said:
I'll have to take a pic, as there is no visible model number. It's a small rectangle, maybe 1.5" x 3". Also it's been discontinued by the Shack, which is why I purchased the other model. You can sort of see it here (up top). I'll post a better one if needed.

Radio Shack is constantly discontinuing products. Too bad. I have an older Radio Shack model that also was right on in my calibration tests, though I didn't include it in the review since it too was discontinued.

Thanks for the info.

The Doc

So do you just call the number on the link and tell them you want a humi calibration kit???? Are there different ones? How long does the kit last for? Just wondering... :confused:

i bought a calibration kit, and tested my radio shack wireless hygro.....it is 9 degress off!! and the hygro has been siting in the kit for 2 days!!!

thats ridiculous

Navydoc said:
So do you just call the number on the link and tell them you want a humi calibration kit???? Are there different ones? How long does the kit last for? Just wondering... :confused:

call the #, tell them you want a kit, and it lasts for 3 months...

all it really is, is one of the boveda humi-packs and a ziploc bag!

I called and they were very helpful. The pack is set at 75.5 and apparently is used to calibrate equipment at some big time art gallery....ummm. Also bought a couple of the 69% packs to put in my "field" Otter Box for my little extended vacation.

I have them at my store site as well.

One thing I have found in the many hygrometers I have checked is there is not always consistency in the amount of error in a given make and model. I tested a model of Oregon Scientific (11 units) and had a spread of 9.5% from high to low.

Incredible Customer Service

Now this is what I call customer service!!! Not only did I get my calibration kit in like record time but they sent me one of these......Thank You Boveda!

IHT - merged with the other topic on this product.

Last edited:
Friday night I was at a party and Al the Scientist for Boveda was there. He is the brains behind the Humidi-Pak technology. Anyway I have known Al for 20 years. But we got talking about stuff and he invited me to take a tour of their facility. Now after seeing Pauls gift I may really have to work on taking them up on the offer. I seem to know the non-Cigar smokers of the company.. Not the guys that have the keys to the Opus stash. By the way they have cases of Opus lying around the shop.. Not just boxes but cases. It was part of there exclusive contract with Fuente.

BTW the calibration kit is Marketed for the non-cigar market.. A humidi-pak bag at whatever RH you want will work the same way..

Funny story is, he says the 73% bags are selling the fastest?? I have been bugging him at getting the 65% bags out so now there out I hope they sell well. It seems the 70/70 theory is engrained in the publics head pretty hard.

I've always used the salt test, and have been quite pleased with the results.
The only benefit (that I can see) that this Boveda pack has over doing the traditional salt test is that you won't be subjecting your hygrmeters to a "somewhat corrosive" environment (salty air mass) for 24-36 hours.

Back