Bachelor event Cuban or NC

Cuban or NC for a Bachelor event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andyman

Home sweet Home!!
Lately I have been more aware of when, where, and how I talk about "certain" cigars, so here is my dilema.

In April I am attending my half sisters wedding. I am going to bring cigars for the bachelor event and I am not sure weather to bring Cubans for the special occasion or bring some nice NC's. I do not know the people attending at all and I have only met my future Br-in-law once.. I do want to try and make it a special event for him, but I don't want to go in and seem like I am waiving around contraband or think I am all that, because I brought Cubans. Pick what you would bring..

Pick Cuban, or NC, and let me know your thoughts on how you may handle the situation.

BTW: I am thinking ERDM Choixs, or Casa Torano

Personally, I would probably bring the NCs as most of the guests probably won't know a damn thing about cigars anyway. I might bring a couple of cubans for you and you Bro-in-law-to-be as a 'special' gift.

Personally, I see no good reason to bring up cuban ciars in general company.

RcktS4 said:
Personally, I would probably bring the NCs as most of the guests probably won't know a damn thing about cigars anyway. I might bring a couple of cubans for you and you Bro-in-law-to-be as a 'special' gift.

I'd agree with Rckt. I would bring NC sticks ranging from mild to full-bodied. It wouldn't be good for a lightweight to puff on a full-bodied cigar and puke on the stripper. There is going to be a stripper right?

Unkless you kn ow that some are smokres who would appreciate something special, than I would stick to N/Cs. Have a couple of Cubans with you incase there are some people who would appreciate them.

I'd bring a bundle of MM habanos - probably Quintero. No reason to make a big deal of it - wouldn't even mention they were cubans unless I were specifically asked.

Alpedhuez55 said:
Unkless you kn ow that some are smokres who would appreciate something special, than I would stick to N/Cs. Have a couple of Cubans with you incase there are some people who would appreciate them.

I think there would be some folk who would appreciate them for the taste, but likely more would appreciate them just because they were Cubans.

RcktS4 said:

Exactly. Bring some decent Fuentes and a few better sticks for anybody who smokes cigars. Me, I'd leave any and all Cubans at home.

Save the cubans for you and yours friends that can really appreciate what their smoking. Everyone else buy a cheap box off CBid. Got one if you need it...lol.

Save your money and don't get Cubans. Otherwise you'll be pissed off when you see all the half-smoked expensive sticks lying around.

mike32312 said:
Save the cubans for you and yours friends that can really appreciate what their smoking. Everyone else buy a cheap box off CBid. Got one if you need it...lol.
Mike do you have anything in mind you can send me... :r

Pleeease don't!!!

There's currently an attractive lot of Gurkha Legend '8 Years Aged' Robustos going for $23.00 per five pack. I got three fiver's a month ago. The Legend is a great smoke and the bands look pretty. This may impress your fellow partygoers.

SeanGAR said:
Exactly. Bring some decent Fuentes and a few better sticks for anybody who smokes cigars. Me, I'd leave any and all Cubans at home.

Completely agree here, and I also second the Fuentes - Especially the "Chateau" line. I dont' think you could go wrong with that...

NC's.

1) Cubans tend to be strong, and might freak some newbies out.
2) NCs are generally more affordable, so your budget goes farther.
3) NCs are not controversial - I don't shrink from confrontation, but why create a potential issue at a family event? Discretion helps sometimes.
4) Less Cubans for them, more for you. (just kidding. sort of...)

Other options, anything Fuente (858 maduros?), or a mix between mild and medium.

yeah Fuentes... or Padron Delicias.
For a non-cigar-smoker, it's nice if they recognize the brand.

The reasons that I voted for the NC are simple: Don't waste great smokes on people who will either a) not appreciate the gesture and or b) not smoke the entire cigar because it overpowers them. Bring a few nice ones to share with your future brother in-law.

I don't think that you would come off as a jerk for offering ISOMs unless you made a huge deal of it.

It's not worth it to bring Cubans for everyone. Almost everyone I've ever met at parties who say they smoke cigars don't know jack shit, so why waste them. For parties what I do is bring a cuban stick for myself a couple of cheap NC and a couple of hidden cubans just in case I run into anyone I need to impress, like talent or directors.

Bring some good cigars that you would like to smoke for youself and maybe the groom or some other smokers. For the rest of the group give them the NC stuff. By the end of the night they will be saying they are cuban anyway. Happened to me at a wedding. I brought a bundle of Nic Torpedos and I had people at the end of the night telling me they were the best cubans they had ever had.

TypeO- said:
I'd agree with Rckt. I would bring NC sticks ranging from mild to full-bodied. It wouldn't be good for a lightweight to puff on a full-bodied cigar and puke on the stripper. There is going to be a stripper right?

:tpd:

Agreed with both these fine BOTL. I've supplied cigars for two weddings in the last 6 months (two nephews). Gave cubans to the groom and myself. Everyone else got a mild bodied decent grade NC, and as expected, less than a quarter of the smokers burned more than 1/4 of the sticks.

Got a third wedding coming up in April. Just got in a box of Victor Sinclair Connecticut for that one. Cbid: 30 sticks for $35. Will give cuban to the nephew, rest will get VSs.

It matters not how good the NCs are, as long as they are not rockets. Expect at least half to be snuffed with less than 1/4 burned. Terrible waste for a cuban!!

I agree. Why waste C cigars on people who don't normally smoke cigars?
If you have a couple of friends you know who smoke normally, bring a few along. Or buy a bunch of Nicaraguan cigars, take off the bands, and tell everyone they are C C's.
Did you read about the party the editor of CA went to in Hong Kong. The guy brings out a humidor of vintage Cubans and tells everyone they are going to smoke up the whole humidor. the cigars are $520 a piece.
Can you imagine finding your ashtray full of barely smoked, broken in half cigars? Can you imagine smoking a 520 dollar cigar. What if it was plugged?

Jeff said:
Save your money and don't get Cubans. Otherwise you'll be pissed off when you see all the half-smoked expensive sticks lying around.

Exactly what Jeff said. Most of them won't be cigar smokers in the first place, and will likely light up for the obligitory photo op, and snuff out the smoke anyways. No sense wasting your finer smokes on such antics. Take a couple good ones with you, on the off chance that there will be a true BOTL in attendance and you'll be all set.

:2
Steve

Back