Lowland Gorilla
Cigar: Backwoonds Mild 'n Wild Original
Wrapper: um tobacco?
Binder: no
Filler: Pipe tobacco floor sweepings?
Manufacturer: Altadis
Vitola: looks to be about a 4x28 slightly tapered

IMG_0101.jpg

Setting: Sun Room, about sixty some odd degrees out. Having with a Barq's. About 4pm.

Pre-light: Smells heavily of pipe tobacco. Cigar feels very moist. Wrapper is medium brown with a prominent vein running down one side. Cigar is nice and squishy. Cut was great cause it was done at the factory. Cigar has a "shaggy" foot.

IMG_0106.jpg

First third: Cigar lit up easily. Produced lots of smoke. The cigar burns at a very quick late. Picking up a lot of sweet flavors, and not as painful as I was expecting. It does leave a bit of a dry harsh aftertaste. Cigar is holding the ash quite well at about an inch.

IMG_0107.jpg

Second third: It's really starting to pick up a notch in flavor. OK, just kidding. Same slightly sweet and slightly nauseating smoke as before. But the headache hasn't set in yet so it's all good. I do have to confess it is smoking pretty well. The burn evened out even with the big vein and it hasn't needed any touchups or relights.

IMG_0107.jpg

Final third: OK, starting to get a bit of harshness on the roof of the mouth. A bit of ammonia taste is starting to kick in. The ash continues to be surprisingly firm, requiring a solid tap to break loose on the ashtray. Had to ditch it at about the one inch mark as it got really hot.

IMG_0108.jpg

Final thoughts: Well, this was the "cigar" that started it all for me back when I was about 18. As a stroll down nostalgia lane it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting, but one I care not to repeat. That said, it was surprisignly well made and smoked quite well for something so loose and machine made. OK, let me go light up a real cigar now so I can get this taste out of my mouth.

Smoke again: No, I don't drink.
Buy again: Um, no.
Reccommend: Sure, if you like to make blunts
From Urban Dictionary:
Backwoods 22 up, 8 down

An inexpensive brand of machine rolled cigars that are manufactored to appear hand rolled. Backwoods cigars come in packs of 8 in a resealable foil pouch. The rugged appearance and packaging is meant to appeal to the outdoors crowd, but they have also gained a following by marijuana smokers because the tobacco can easily be dumped so the shell can be used to smoke other substances. These cigars have a high nicotine content and are considered strong.
I smoked one of those Backwoods the other day. I swear, I felt like Clint Eastwood... or 50 cent.

Hey... I'm not going to lie. I have been in a pinch where I'm with buddies (who all smoke cigarettes) and no cigars. I have stopped at the gas station and picked up some Backwoods (or Black & Milds). Yes... they are not Anejos or Pepins. Yet... they are decent considering the price. I'll definitely smoke one of these over a Cremosa or Victor Sinclair.

That all being said... Ratters is trying to keep his cred up. He is loving these! ;)

Oh man, I did this as a lark but really regretting it now. :D Made my whole next cigar taste like ass. I have this acrid taste in the roof of my mouth that just won't go away. :BS

Oh man, I did this as a lark but really regretting it now. :D Made my whole next cigar taste like ass. I have this acrid taste in the roof of my mouth that just won't go away. :BS

:r:r....You "Play"...You "Pay"....:r:D:)

I've heard tomato juice...No wait...That's for skunk.:D

Perhaps though....?

All kiddin' aside....Thanks for an honest review. Sometimes ya just "haveta" revisit.:tu:)

Be Well!

I remember smoking these and feeling like Clint Eastwood myself. Then I just felt like shit. They were s**t "cigars" then and from your experience they still are!:pu

I think its funny that the packaging reads Wild N' Mild Ciagrs :r

Thanks for taking one for the team Ratters!

Hey... I'm not going to lie. I have been in a pinch where I'm with buddies (who all smoke cigarettes) and no cigars. I have stopped at the gas station and picked up some Backwoods (or Black & Milds). Yes... they are not Anejos or Pepins. Yet... they are decent considering the price. I'll definitely smoke one of these over a Cremosa or Victor Sinclair.

That all being said... Ratters is trying to keep his cred up. He is loving these! ;)

Agreeed.

I've been on the road before, outside of a gas station or a Wal-Greens or whatever, and just wanted a smoke. Backwoods have a flavorful taste at least, something you can't find in some of the other brands priced-similarly. Plus, if you don't say anything about the fact taht they're backwoods, people can think you rolled it yourself (hey, it happened once :ss)

Man, I havent had a backwoods cigar since middle school. Our local convenience store would sell them to anyone who could walk. I still remember the ass beating from my mom when she caught me and some of my buddies smoking these. But man we thought we were cool.

Just my little trip down nausea, I meant nostalgia lane.:r

That is great! Takes me back to high school. Drinking Bud light and smoking backwoods while fishing and riding 4-wheelers out on our farm in Lynchburg. man, I have come a long way since then...LOL

I'll smoke a Backwoods on the golf course if there is nothing else available and don't feel bad about it for a minute. Just adds to my aura. :D

I'm gonna say it, these are one of my favorite cigars. Now I love a good Perdomo, LFD, or high-end Fuente, but for a go-to short smoke these can't be beat. The flavor isn't complex at all, but the flavor is there and is passably good. For a yard-gar, quickie, or cold-weather smoke I don't think there's a better choice. Also great for boating or swimming, you risk little if you drop it in the drink.

Now if they open the embargo and come out with a habanos Backwoods at similar price, i'll be in hog heaven. :tu

It must be a southern right of passage to smoke Backwoods. In high school, me and my buddies on the golf team would pool our pocket change and pick up a pack our two on our way to the course and divvy them up and would play a terrible, or if we were lucky, bad, round of golf.

Every time I see a package of those in a gas station or grocery store, my mind jumps back to those days.

Back