Bead oversubscription

Opusfxd

Lowland Gorilla
I've acquired a significantly larger item to store my cigars in due to the generosity of a coworker. The calculator on Heartfelt showed I need 2 pounds to keep the space happy.

My question is, during the period when I'm acquiring a Cigar Oasis and more beads (beads work well when the power doesn't) do the beads I have just have to 'work twice as hard' to acheive the desired humidity or will it just be a waste of time.

I guess the kicker in this whole mess is my cooler is maxed out. I played my bonus rounds of Tetris and it's full. I'm in my herfidor to deal with overrun.

So what do you think? Can I put things into the new home with what I have but service it more often until I can get the bead count up (btw I'm switching from 70 to 65 making it even more painful - as it were) or can I go with what I have in the interim and make it work?

Thanks in advance.

You my friend are SCREWED. Send me your overflow. I will dispose of them nicely.....er I mean keep them in pristine conditions.

I would say if you don't have the recommended amount of beads, the beads you do have will just have to be rehydrated more often. They also may not be able to achieve the level of RH you're looking for due to the lack of water that is needed to be released. Since you're switching from 70 to 65 the small amount of 70 beads should be able to hit the 65 mark. You'll just have to refill them more often.

You my friend are SCREWED. Send me your overflow. I will dispose of them nicely.....er I mean keep them in pristine conditions.

Always so helpful, Than. :rolleyes:

I think you can make it work in ther short term but you will have to recharge the beads more often. and it could become a source of stress to constantly monitor and obsess over the RH. Hopefully the new beads will arrive quickly, and the whole thing will be moot shortly.

It will definitely work, just check the beads often and make sure there are still some clear beads. As long as you keep them hydrated they will work. The other thing you need to watch is that the humidity on the opposite end of the humi from the beads is not way low. Try to keep the cigars closer to the beads until you get the setup completed.

Dave

I think you can make it work in ther short term but you will have to recharge the beads more often. and it could become a source of stress to constantly monitor and obsess over the RH. Hopefully the new beads will arrive quickly, and the whole thing will be moot shortly.
:tpd: I am probably under the recomended amount and I have to refill them about once a week/every other week because it is realatively dry, but the humidity is constant. :tu

I would add a shot glass or 2 of distilled water in the interim as well.

I just added three 3/8" shelves into my vinotemp. I added some containers of distilled water at the same time to compensate for the new cedar seasoning. Using this method, my vinotemp never got more than 5% lower than I wanted it, and as of this morning it is just 2% lower than I like. Another day or so and the distilled water containers will be coming out.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

it could become a source of stress to constantly monitor and obsess over the RH.
Like we don't anyways? :ss

Thanks everyone! I had a pan of distilled water in the bottom for the last day or so and its hitting 73% tonight so with all your input and that evidence, anyone want to guess what I'm doing after my ride tonight?

Right!!! Posting pictures of this goofy setup. :chk Let's just say, the price was right and it has personality to be developed.

I would add a shot glass or 2 of distilled water in the interim as well.

I just added three 3/8" shelves into my vinotemp. I added some containers of distilled water at the same time to compensate for the new cedar seasoning. Using this method, my vinotemp never got more than 5% lower than I wanted it, and as of this morning it is just 2% lower than I like. Another day or so and the distilled water containers will be coming out.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

:tpd: The added container of water will help a lot.

Back