Beads and jelly crystals?

hardcz

Lowland Gorilla
First off let me say, I know next to nothing about any of this stuff. I got a small humidor, picked up a cutter and lighter the guy at the shop showed me, and these little clear tubes with jelly crystal things in them. Believe they're called drymistat. They look like this:
Drymistat.jpg

I've been poking around reading this morning and last night per suggestions by someone I just met and I've encountered a lot of posts referring to these beads at heartfelt industries. http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

I think my humidor holds 50 cigars, and I hope to have it filled one day... though I don't really know the difference between these humidification systems at the moment, and didn't see any on a quick search I made.

I appreciate any time you guys take to enlighten me.

Dan

The key difference between the products is that the gel tube only gives off humidity, it does not correct for excess humidity. The beads at Heartfet do completelyy regulate humidity. There is a very long thread on the beads directly over this thread in the stickys and if you search on beads, you will find enough information to keep yourself reading for a month. Also, please stop by the newbie section and introduce yourself.

the drymistat is designed to keep your cigars at 70%. the drymistat contains PG, so it does adjust your humidity level.the heartfelt beads give you the option of storing your cigars at various humidity levels.

The key difference between the products is that the gel tube only gives off humidity, it does not correct for excess humidity. The beads at Heartfet do completelyy regulate humidity. There is a very long thread on the beads directly over this thread in the stickys and if you search on beads, you will find enough information to keep yourself reading for a month. Also, please stop by the newbie section and introduce yourself.

Thanks, just had some eggs/sausage at work lol, Coffee is kicking in, I'm gearing up for a day full or reading...I'll probably have to smoke a few when I get home from all the excitement that'll build up.

the drymistat is designed to keep your cigars at 70%. the drymistat contains PG, so it does adjust your humidity level.the heartfelt beads give you the option of storing your cigars at various humidity levels.

Ron hit the big point here. PG solution is used on the gel, while distilled water is used on the beads.

Personally, I like beads, but if I want to store stuff in a slightly...more moist?...environment, or if I have a larger area to cover, I prefer using the gel and PG simply because it will require less overall maintenance.

So does the drymistat constantly require recharging by PG or is there an interval where say, 1 out of 4 rechargings require PG?

Back