Beads, RH issues, generic musings.

AggieChemDoc

Young Ape
I have a nice 100ct humidor that I have had up and running for two-three months.

For a long time, I only had 15-20 cigars in it, and a drymistat. My RH was reading high, so I salt-tested my hygro and found out that it salt tested at exactly 75% (sweet). I pulled the drymistat, since it was holding at 70+% (as high as 75) Since I am an insufferable tinkerer, I upgraded to heartfelt beads (2 oz of 65% beads) a month ago-ish. I dropped them in the humidor as shipped, and my RH stabilized at a perfect 65% within two days, and held that for 2 weeks.

I soon added a BUNCH of cigars (a box of pepins and three 5ers) that came from the Devil Site and had sat at a UPS location over the weekend of the 4th. My RH quickly fell to 62-63% and held for several days. I figured maybe my beads were a bit on the dry side, so I have added a shallow dish of distilled water in an effort to bring the RH back up. Over the course of several hours my RH will raise to 65-66% and I pull the distilled water. The RH then falls again to 63%. I have done this three straight days.

Is is possible that my devil site 'gars were THAT dry? I'm starting to second guess everything from my hygrometer to the beads (the hygro is a $6 Wallyworld special, but it salt tested right on).

The Devil Site cigars have been in my humidor now for a week and I think even if they were dry, they should have rehumidified by now.

Tonight I had a Rocky Patel Fusion MM that has been resting for several weeks (predates the new cigars) and the damn thing pretty much exploded on me after lighting up. The outer wrapper just came apart. The last 2-3 cigars I've had over the past week have had some bad canoing issues, and I don't smoke overly fast. My cigars last 60-90 minutes.

I'm just kinda frustrated and wondering if anything is wrong with my beads, my humidor, my smokes, or me.

I have a couple hundred bucks worth of cigars in there now and I just hate to think I'm screwing something up.

Thoughts?

When you say you think your beads might be a little dry, and you added a shallow dish of distilled water, did you wet the beads directly as well? Much easier to raise the RH to 65% by wetting the beads themselves.

Time at 62-63% should not cause your cigars to come apart or burn wrong. I store my smokes at 62-63% normally, and don't have those kind of issues.

I did not wet the beads directly as I'd read somewhere that damaged them.

I didn't think the low RH would cause the wrapper issues either, it's just too much weird stuff going on all at once. Got me jumpy.

I think Tom's right on track. 62% to 63% is not bad at all.
In my experience, it doesn't take "days" for cigars to come to equalibrium, it takes weeks. Being as your sticks are not in harm's way, why not leave them be and see what happens?
On that Wally World hygrometer...
They're flaky. It can salt test perfect and be off dramatically at 65%. It's the nature of that nasty beast. I've tested the ones I had with table salt and they were off 9 points and 14 points respectively. Tested with sodium nitrate (a salt that yields 66% RH instead of 75.7%RH) they yield totally different numbers.
Point is that you'd think they'd be equally screwed up across an entire range, but that's not so at all.
For 25 bucks you can score a Hygroset II calibratible hygrometer. They work fantastically and you can score them for 25 bucks shipped.
They're literally 25 bucks of "peace of mind" and they take out all the guess work.
On rehydrating the beads...
That also takes a long time to get the job done. I'd suggest using a sponge on a dish rather than a shot glass or bowl. That way you won't have a spill and won't ruin any cigars. It's much, much safer. :tu
If you have to leave it in there for a couple weeks for things to stabilize, then so be it.
Taking your time and being patient won't hurt your cigars one single bit.
It's good for them. :)

Thanks, Shilala. I was worried in the back of my mind about such a "one point" calibration. Perhaps I'll swipe some sodium nitrate from the lab and check the humidity reading on my hygro with it.

Thanks, Shilala. I was worried in the back of my mind about such a "one point" calibration. Perhaps I'll swipe some sodium nitrate from the lab and check the humidity reading on my hygro with it.
I have about 20 pounds here. I think I'll see if I can find those Wally's I had and do a test just to record how bad they suck. :)
If you can't find a deal on the Hygroset II's, drop me a pm. I bet I can help. :tu
With a screen name like "AggieChemDoc", I figured you could appreciate thermistor accuracy range, that's why I mentioned it. :)
Which raises another question...
Does a hygrometer use a thermistor as a sensing element, or does it go by another name? I've never had cause to study their makeup. Maybe today is the day. :D

I'm not sure. The cheap ones probably just use capacitance between two plates.
I humidify my smokes at 65% and yet I salt test my hygros at 75.7% despite the fact that I have ten or 20 pounds of Sodium Nitrate.
I was just mulling over just how stupid I am. :D
Habit is a dangerous thing, isn't it?

Back