Beetles...Beetles....Beetles...

Cadillac

Evolving Lead Gorilla
I don't mean to :BS on particular cigar companies, but as a consumer of their products I believe I have a right to ask this. For all those that have experienced beetle problems, what cigar maker (or brand) do you KNOW was the result of the infestation? Are their particular brands that one should stay away from?

Perhaps I should phrase this differently.. Are there cigar companies that take significant steps to prevent infestion.

My beetle experiences are limited :).

The only 2 cigars I have had beetle experince with never really intermixed with my supply. The first one was a Cobaiguan, and the other a CC Partagas. I only found a hole and tunnels in the Cobaiguan, but found all kinds of stuff i the Partagas.

Here's the pictures.

I found evidence in several cigars that I kept un-celloed in an open cedar tray. Infortunately I sent one of said cigars to Glacierman, (hasn't spoken to me since j/K). These cigars where from a small boutique grower-roller in the San Andres Tuxtla Valley region just southwest of Vercruz, MX. I ended up freezing the entire tray and have not had another experience, fingers crossed.

The brand was Toztli, you'd have to go out of your way to find it. I hope this provides a little content to this Beetlemania thread.

Oh yea, I smoked the cigar "piccolo-style", holding my finger over the hole until the burn passed it.

—Richard

EDIT:BTW the importer was very apologetic and generous with my next shipment!

Last edited:
I've never had them in my collection, but I did have a box that had them when they were delivered (went right back to the vendor).

They were Padilla Miami 8/11s.

The only beetle I ever had was from a machine made Cuban Cigar that was gifted to me. Most companies have taken measures to reduce the incidence of beetles but I still freeze cigars I get now.

i had a rp vint '92 that hatched beetles after i had it for a couple years-happened after i went camping & it was exposed to 75* temps consistently over a few days-luckily i caught it b4 i put the sticks from the traveldor back into the humi

other people i know have had problems w/the rp olde world reserve-you'd think for what some of these sticks cost the manufacturers would take better steps to keep it from happening-i know cuban smokes are fumigated or frozen prior to shipping from the factory-time for the rest of the manufacturers to get on board

Interesting.... This is the 2nd time I've heard about the Old World Reserve. I have one on the way. I think I will smoke it right away.

What about dying cigars. Does anyone know anything that gets this process and has EVIDENCE.

there was a thread about dyed cigars not too long ago-i don't remember specific examples, but the evidence would be black lips or fingers-sometimes it's hard to tell a dyed wrapper from a cooked wrapper, both are very black

I found one that most likely came from a Sancho Panza Double Maduro, but there is a remote possibility it migrated from another cigar. I freeze all my cigars now since my coolerdor is above 70F.

So far only one outbreak - and that was also a cuban partagas (short from 05).

I cut the head and saw a larva just underneath it.

I threw that one away, but froze the rest. No problems since.

Back