Best local Cigar stores

jdsmoke

Young Chimp
I trave alot with my job and was hoping that some of the local membership could help me out. I am looking for great local cigar stores. I frequent Holts in Philly, PA or Classic Cigar in Doylestown, PA when at home. What others are our there. I have heard good things about J&R in NJ. How about Orlando or Chicago. Any ideas

Hey JD! What kind of tobacco tax do you have in Philly?

My experience is limited in Chicago. When I'm there, I make a pilgrimage to Iwan Ries (they've a website). Super, super service there. I was down there just a few days ago and bought a pipe and some pipe accessories. Tobacco taxes are high. Can't recommend the place highly enough for it's service. The other place in the Chi-town area I've been to is Cigar King (same as the website and probably connected to Phatash). Huge selection, very fair prices (before those taxes) and excellent service. They've got lots of gadgets like expensive watches and pens if that's your bag.

There's also Jack Schwartz and Uptown Tobacco (I believe is the name). Never been but they've got a good rep.

In Milwaukee I like Uhle's. Again it's an old-school tobacconist, like Iwan Ries, with lots of top shelf items (frequently has Opus, VSG etc) and really great service. I've never had a bad experience there. Jacks Tobacco and MCS in Brookfield (I think) has a wide selection at ok prices. Service can be sketchy. Milwaukee also has a store that goes by the name of "famous". It's new. I've never been there and I have no idea if it has any connection to Famous Smoke Shop out of NY. WI has a 25% tobacco tax that takes a bite out of your budget. Municipalities may have higher taxes. From the standpoint of saving money Chicago *might* be better. I think tax is like 17 or 18% in IL.

Let's hear from some other members!

In the meantime, I'm grabbing a glass of scotch!

in the charlotte nc area we got several shops. cigars etc has a huge selection with prices below msrp but they sometimes have storage issues. mcrainies has a lot of the rarer and more expensive smokes but i think they can be kinda snotty. they got tinder boxes which are a chain with all that comes with a chain store.

my favorite shop is paradise cigars near I-77 and Harris Blvd. Owner is knowledgable, good atmosphere, good selection focusing on very good but lesser known cigars that other places dont carry.

and of course there is this little pissant store called JR Cigar a few miles up the road in statesville and another in burlington.

There's 3 that I know of... Sosa's at Downtown Disney in Orlando... There's also a smoke shop in the Florida Mall in Orlando. And the TinderBox on E. Colonial Drive in Orlando.

we've got about 5-6 shops in Orlando, but those are the three i'm familiar with.

jdsmoke said:
I trave alot with my job and was hoping that some of the local membership could help me out. I am looking for great local cigar stores. I frequent Holts in Philly, PA or Classic Cigar in Doylestown, PA when at home. What others are our there. I have heard good things about J&R in NJ. How about Orlando or Chicago. Any ideas
In your neck of the woods I like Cigars International, in Bethlehem, PA. The store's nice but sometimes (I've heard) the staff can be less than friendly. Also, I like visiting the Famous Smoke Shop in Easton, PA. While the store selection's never as good as the catalog's, the store almost always has Padron Anni's there. Both of these will often have stuff that Holt's doesn't carry.
The Main JR Store (is it Parsipanny, NJ?!) is less than 2hrs drive from you, but I tell you, Holt's has a better selection than the JR store.
Now what about Florida. I'd love to hear about stores down there.

A second for Iwan Ries in Chicago, a class act all the way. They are right downtown, but do yourself a favor and take a cab to 1550 North Wells st. and visit Up Down Tobacco updowntobacco.com. Say hi to Diana Silvius and enjoy one of her signature cigars. Great selection, wonderful and knowledgeable staff.

In Pittsburgh if you ever get ove this way. I would look up the Old Allegheny Shoppe. Very good store and very reasonable prices. Also Allegheny Smokeworks. Another great store with reasonable prices.

The Old Allegheny Shoppe it big on Fuente, Padron, Your typical offering from general cigar and Altadis, CAO and Davidoff.

The Allegheny Smokeworks is big in Perdomo, Carlos Torano CAO, The typical offerings from General Cigar and Altadis, Fuente, and Indian Tabac.

kamikaiguy said:
In Pittsburgh if you ever get ove this way. I would look up the Old Allegheny Shoppe. Very good store and very reasonable prices. Also Allegheny Smokeworks. Another great store with reasonable prices.

The Old Allegheny Shoppe it big on Fuente, Padron, Your typical offering from general cigar and Altadis, CAO and Davidoff.

The Allegheny Smokeworks is big in Perdomo, Carlos Torano CAO, The typical offerings from General Cigar and Altadis, Fuente, and Indian Tabac.

Huh, wha, where? You found another one? Whats this Old Allegheny all about?

I usually shop at Allegheny Smokeworks in Pittsburgh or the Big Indian in Salamanca, NY on the Indian Reservation. Largest walk-in in NYS and no taxes. Then when in Buffalo I will stop by Virgil Ave Tobacconist (probably the best place in WNY), but mainly to hang out. Cigars are just too expensive here with the taxes.

The greatest cigar store I have ever been to is Blatter & Blatter in Montreal. The owners there are great with their advice and the selection is out of this world! Every Cuban cigar that you can think of is there, ready to be sampled. They also have a complete wall of non-Cuban cigars.

Because it is located in downtown Montreal, the people that come in and smoke in their lounge are quite interesting. Everything from newspaper editors to lawyers and doctors to the blue collar guy off the street. It was so much fun to be smoking a Diplimatico #2 while conversing with this eclectic group and listening to them go from English to French.

Now, my local shop in Fort Collins, Colorado - Edward's Pipe and Tobacco - has improved so much since it has changed ownership. Armando, the owner, greatly increased the selection and put in a lounge with three TVs, a bathroom, bottled water, and he will even pour you a glass of port while you are sitting in the lounge. He also allows me to bring in my own beverages (beer or whiskey). What a great place to visit!

:z

Back