Best Method for replacing the wicks in an Aristocrat?

icehog3

Admiral Douche Bag
Staff member
Getting ready to replace the wicks in my Set and Forget humidifier in my Aristocrat...anyone with any experience doing this have any tips before I do?

Thanks for any insight.

I would just be sure to unplug them first so it doesn't kick on when you are in the middle of it... otherwise, easy easy!

I would just be sure to unplug them first so it doesn't kick on when you are in the middle of it... otherwise, easy easy!

Good point, I actually had thought of that one. Gracias. :)

I assume I leave the fan alone, and just unscrew the four screws in the outside corners?

I took out the wicks and replaced with Super Absorbant Polymers (SAP's) they hold a lot of water and if by chance you knock over the canister there will be no water spilled (with 4 kids who like to help dad pick out a cigar this has happened and with a stuffed cabinet the cord can get caught and pull the canister off the shelf). I used SAP's for years in my Set n Forget, Cigar Oasis and in humidifiers will excellent results.

http://www.watersorb.com/ get the large craft size. Some people put a little everclear/grain alcohol in to prevent mold, I have not and the SAPs lasted about 2 years.

If you decide to try the fill only about 1/4 with SAPs as they expand and will hold enouhg water to last 3-6 months depending on season, climate and how often you open the humidor.

If you want more info search here and at Cigar Family (HMSRichard has posted mant threads on these)

Funny that I just got a 3 pack of wicks last week.
I plan on giving the tank and anything else that needs it a good scrubbing.
Thats all I would add to this convo :)

new wick on left...
DSCN0468.jpg

1. Unplug the unit
2. Keep the doors in the humi open for a bit, this is a good time to let some fresh air in the humi.
3. Open the unit and throw away the old wick.
4. I usually wash the black bottom piece out and dry realy good. This gets out any impurities that may be in there.
5. Wipe the top off with some water to clean a bit
6. Replace wick and put back

His system is so easy. You will see within an hour your humi will be back to normal humidity level.

This is also a good time to do some humi cleaning.

1. Unplug the unit
2. Keep the doors in the humi open for a bit, this is a good time to let some fresh air in the humi.
3. Open the unit and throw away the old wick.
4. I usually wash the black bottom piece out and dry realy good. This gets out any impurities that may be in there.
5. Wipe the top off with some water to clean a bit
6. Replace wick and put back

His system is so easy. You will see within an hour your humi will be back to normal humidity level.

This is also a good time to do some humi cleaning.

Thanks everyone!

Richard, what do you use to wash the bottom piece? I would assume you have to use only distilled water?

Thanks everyone!

Richard, what do you use to wash the bottom piece? I would assume you have to use only distilled water?

I use regular water then dry it out. Then I wipe it down/out with some distilled water and fill it up.

Back