Best Rums Under $30

Joey Link

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
I got so much insight from the whiskey, scotch, and bourbon thread that I just *had* to start one for rum. I've been looking to expand my horizons and I'm already pretty well versed with vodka. I imagine a nice glass of rum would go well with a cigar on a hot summer day. It also seems that very few bars around here carry anything better than Bacardi (yuck!), so it's difficult to try new brands.

So, lets hear it guys, what're your choices for the best rums under $30?

:al

:tuHC7
Havanaclublogo.png

Awesome, I'll have to try some.

And after a bit more research, I see I won't be able to pick up the HC across the street ;)

I like Captain Morgan Private Reserve.. (Spiced rum) :tu

(Please don't hit me.. :hn )

It's all good man, a buddy and I used to kill a fifth of Barbarossa chased with Coke every Friday and Saturday for a year or two before we'd go out. Two drinks at the bar equaled the cost of the bottle!

spend another $5 ($35) and pick up a bottle of CENTENARIO XX (Costa Rican) and drink it straight up

spend another $5 ($35) and pick up a bottle of CENTENARIO XX (Costa Rican) and drink it straight up

With the extra 5, Ron Zacapa Cenenario (Guatemalan). I picked up a bottle for the first time and brought it to the counter where the I have a conversation with the owner of the liquor store who has a heavy Russian/Eastern European accent:

"Excellent choice, this is delicious"
"Really? I've heard good things"
"I like this better than vodka"
"Wow, must be good"

My handle, Pampero, is also a rum from Venezuela, and it is generally available under $30, and goes well with cigars. Try it; an excellent spirit.

Here's a full list of rums under $30.00 that you can trust:

El Dorado 12 & 15. The 15 is one of the best cigar rums you can get, sweet, complex. It's a Demerara style, which refers to the kind of sugar they use in distilling it. Rum drinkers almost universally appreciate El Dorado. The 12 YO is well under $30, and the 15 might be a scosh over.

Cruzan Single Barrel, a dry, premium rum I like....a lot! About $25 most places.

Zacapa 15 Anos (the 23 anos is a bit over your $30 budget). Guatamalan rum that defines a certain style, nice with gars. Cocoa and coffee notes, and a lot of vanilla.
Ron Botran Solara is another rum in this family, in the money and very nice, as is Ron Zaya, which is getting harder to find, but similar to the Zacapa 15 Anos. Prices on Zaya vary all over the map, but if you're in California, Bev Mo usually has it in your price range.

Carib Rums: The aforementioned Appleton 12 is always good. Barrilito 3 Star is a few bucks over, but is, I think, the best rum from Puerto Rico.
English Harbor 5 year is good, dry and a bit on the harsh side with good rum flavor. Mt Gay XO is good, but usually runs just over $30. It sells for $31 here, a bit more elsewhere. It's the Scotch drinker's rum. Very smooth and sophisticated, a classic.

For less money, Gosling's Black Seal is a winner; a rich, flavorful rum from Bermuda. Also, from Haiti, you can try Barbencourt 8 (five star). The 15 YO is a bit better IMO, but at $38, well over your limit. It's a different style than some of the others.

There's a lot of great rums out there in that $30 range. All the ones I named are respected by rum drinkers everywhere.

But if you're looking for a no-brainer, go with Pampero. I didn't out my handle on that one for nothing!

For the price range (& lower), try:
Mount Gay Eclipse
Bacardi 8
Myers Dark

All very good on the rocks with a squeeze of lime.

I'm not a fan of Appleton, too harsh for my tastes.
The Barbancourt 15 year old is excellent, but over your $ range.
The other lesser years are not up to snuff, too harsh as well.

Back