Betsy Ross - Clear Havana

lenguamor

Gorila Cabrón
This is handmade, from between 1910-1917.

First: Not yellow cello - BROWN cello. Distinct aroma of mint upon unwrapping; peppermint. What an odd introduction!

Pre-light, same sensation of mintiness; also sweetness, common to these old cigars.

Still, a pervasive sensation of mint, fading into the background but still detectable. Sweet flavors, not yet asserted but coming. Creamy.

In the middle: Amazing, a cigar almost 100 years old with this much assertiveness, this much character. Has a little bit of a bite to it; not unpleasant or acrid, just the bite you would expect of a fresh cigar.

Flavors now coming through loud and clear; fruit...apricots, prunes; also a pervasive creaminess under it all. Still getting hints of mint throughout. Most pleasant!

Last third: I can't get over the strength and clearly-defined character in a cigar that is nearly 100 years old. This is a flavor bomb, plain and simple!

Tobacco and coffee/cream flavors now coming through. A little nic buzz setting in - unreal! Still a lot of sweetness and fruit; a little grassiness now appearing...maybe more sweet grass, hay, like that. Like burning sage.

All in all, an unexpected experience. I had been prepared to have to search for any flavor at all given the age of this little Perfecto; I wouldn't have guessed that it would be this pleasurable a smoke.

Ima nub this baby now! Pictures here.

Last edited:
The thing that strikes me is that the people who produced this cigar are long past now. weird, but very interesting to think about.

Man, that sounds delicious, Joe. Makes we want to go grab one of those really old ones you sent me and give them a try as well, but I'm gonna be good. I'm saving those for when we next herf together.

Hope you are getting better and that you are able to herf some more. Wish I lived closer, my friend, I really do.

How much thought went into whether to place this in the Non-Habanos forum as opposed to the Habanos?

Made in my home state of PA!

Might I ask how you came across owning a box of these? Especially being in good shape. Way cool brother.

Might I ask how you came across owning a box of these? Especially being in good shape. Way cool brother.

These may be considered "NC" by the site, but sources for the really old ones are as jealously guarded as those for Cubans. More, actually.

Last edited:
These may be considered "NC" by the site, but sources for the really old ones are as jealously guarded as those for Cubans. More, actually.
I think you misunderstood my inquiry. I wasn't looking for your source. However, your post told me all I needed to know. You bought them from a business. I wasn't aware that cigars this old could be bought. I figured you got them from your great aunt Myrtle or something.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Grassy and strong...I think they need some age before they come through :D

Thanks for the review - that is just mind-blowing to smoke something like that, eh?

Grassy and strong...I think they need some age before they come through :D

Thanks for the review - that is just mind-blowing to smoke something like that, eh?
That's right, OTT you should wait about 8-10 years before you light one up... just to stablize them.

Back