Big Time Humidor Problem

Padron42

Gorilla
I'm writing this for a few reasons. The first is to share the problem with everyone so nobody else makes it and the second is to see if anyone knows if the cigars are definitely ruined for good.

I've been into cigars about a year now, and I've began collecting pretty heavily. (I almost enjoy it as much as actually smoking the collection actually)...I've got a 100 count desktop cedar humidor and I got it packed to the brim with a pretty good variety, but a few weeks ago I refilled my humidifier with the PG (never again) and then left it in my room while on vacation for about a week. When I got back I cracked it open to get something out and noticed the humidity was all the way up to a little over 90. I immediately took the humidifier out and checked the internet to see what I should do, but the highest I saw anyone else say they got to was around 80ish, so I was a little worried. I left the humidor open to try to dry it out and over about a week it got back down to 68 or so. So this weekend I finally decided to try one of my cigars out of there and it was terrible. As soon as I lit it I knew something was wrong...the end was smoking like crazy and I barely got any smoke out of my side, and the smoke I was getting tasted disgusting and sort of mildewy. I threw it out and got another. Same problem. I went through maybe 4 or 5 (all different brands) and they were all basically the same.

I've already got an order of beads on the way for the future, but my question is does anyone know if the problem is for good or is there any saving my collection? Thanks for the help, and I hope anyone who reads this makes sure it never happens to them.

Will they be ruined? I really couldn't tell you that for sure. However, I think you tried smoking them too soon after being over humidified and they were predictably terrible.

My :2: Get some 65% beads in there and let them rest for a couple months before lighting another one up.

Will they be ruined? I really couldn't tell you that for sure. However, I think you tried smoking them too soon after being over humidified and they were predictably terrible.

My :2: Get some 65% beads in there and let them rest for a couple months before lighting another one up.

:tpd:

couldnt agree more, you can always throw them alway after trying this..

goodluck

Time heals all wounds... or so they say. Don't know if that holds true for cigars, but I sure hope so for your sake and the sake of your cigars!:tu

They will it happened to me a few years ago, what I did was bought another humidor and I let the cigars in the other humidor rest for close to a year, but they have to be in the 63-65 rh range. They will be okay you might not be able to nub them for a year or two but they will become smokable.

I would try dryboxing them in tupperware with no humidification device, they may become smokeable sooner. May be one of the FOG's will shed some light on this method. Hope you don't lose your smokes...Brian

My : Get some 65% beads in there and let them rest for a couple months before lighting another one up.

Also, you may want to keep an eye on your humidor. It's possible that mildew or mold formed/will form given those humidity levels. Also, ou may simple have *too many* in there for them to breathe and dry out effectively....

I would try dryboxing them in tupperware with no humidification device, they may become smokeable sooner. May be one of the FOG's will shed some light on this method. Hope you don't lose your smokes...Brian

When/if you drybox, you actually need to use a box. Tupperware maintains humidity too well, so they wouldn't dry out for a very long time. I use tupperware without humidification and it maintains for up to a year with no problems.

As others have stated, get the rh down gradually and forget about them for a while. They are not ruined at all, imo. Pick up some beads and it sounds like it's time for a cooler or a larger humidor, Padron42. If you stick around here for any length of time, you are going to need several. Think big then go much bigger! :ss

Welcome to CS!

Also, you may want to keep an eye on your humidor. It's possible that mildew or mold formed/will form given those humidity levels. Also, ou may simple have *too many* in there for them to breathe and dry out effectively....

:tpd: watch for mold......

Thanks for all the suggestions. First of all I just received the beads, and also Ive taken all the cigars out of the humidor and put them in a regular box which I'm going to store in a friend's wine cellar for a while. It keeps a steady humidity of 60 and it's nice and cool in there. As for the humidor I checked and there's no mold/mildew so that's good. But thanks everyone for lifting my spirits a little bit....losing them for a few months is a whole lot better than losing them forever.

Back