Bolivar: Sit back and be Satisfied

ambientboy

...from the internet.
Last month at the WNY Herf, I noticed Havana Harry's had these sticks for $6.95. I was quite curious about this, as I had never had one. T hooked me up with a Toro, I brought it home, and tucked it away for just the right occasion.

Tonight was such a night. The weather is a nice crisp 43F with a slight breeze and not a cloud in the sky. The Palio lopped off the cap perfectly. The prelight draw, while a little early, offered just a hair of resistance. I toasted the foot with the torch and decided to go old-school with matches for the light.

I was shocked by the aroma. It was sweet with a touch of spice and the surprising hint of...wait for it...pancakes. I swear to you. The initial flavor and aroma, I thought I'd walked into a Perkins at 7am.

The flavor began sweet and mellow with undertones of coffee, cocoa, spice, and nice clean pure tobacco.

Clean would be the best way to describe this stick. Some get muddled and the flavors get confused. These undertones are specific and detailed and easily discernable. I'd do the 1/2/3rds break down but honestly, it was one of the most consistent NCs I've smoked in awhile.

From foot to nub, the only variation was a bit more spice and hints of brown sugar that wandered in and out. It was a very distinct and particular taste and aroma that I couldn't get enough of. Crazy smooth, it never got harsh

The burn is where I had issues. The first 2/3 was perfect, but I ran into problems at the last third mark. It tunneled suddenly with some difficulty in relighting the wrapper. Without the wrapper, the filler was much more spicy and burned unevenly. This problem continued for the entire last third.

This cigar was not accompanied by food or drink, just clean air and a fresh set of tastebuds. I think that works well with this, though coffee may have done nicely. The medium-bodied flavor could be overwhelmed by a strong drink.

Overall, I give it a 6.9. (burn is what set it back) It's a kick-back and enjoy stick, and possibly the most satisfying NC I've had since the Padron 26m.

Every Bolivar I have had has been quite good, every size is excellent. I have never had burn problems with mine, so it sounds like you got a freak bad one.

I bought a box of these a few months ago after liking a few singles I'd picked up along the way. It was the first box I had been truly disappointed in early off, mostly due to 2 plugs in a row, and a taste that was closer to channel water than ammonia. I couldn't get that taste out of my mouth for a week, I swear.

Well, as I went digging in the cooler last night, I ended up giving this Bolivar Toro a second chance. I have to say, aside from a fairly slow burn, this cigar had excellent taste throughout. I'm glad I gave them another shot before trying to move them, or even worse -- letting them sit forever and never smoking them.

:tu

Back