BOURBON questions & comments

berk-m

Temp Ban for Rules Violation
I have posted one or two threads about bourbon on here and I’m just curious. I know the selection of bourbon is limited compared to Scotch. But why is it the Red-Headed-Stepchild? I love bourbon many varieties but all “malt” magazines and websites, bars, etc. etc. have a ton of info on Scotch and bourbon seems to play second fiddle. Is it that it is made in the U.S.A and not perceived as “sophisticated” or do people just enjoy Scotch that much more? I think bourbon goes great with cigars. Personally I love most bourbon and really enjoy only a handful of Scotch. My favs are Jefferson Reserve, Maker’s, Basil Hayden, Knob Creek…. The list goes on, heck Beam is great bourbon neat or on the rocks.

I would also really like to hear some of your guys favorite bourbon and cigar pairings, I have some but would like some new ideas

I know you guys have some insight, any feed back would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
I dunno why bourbon is not as "high class" as Scotch. When I drank, my absolute favorite was Booker's. Granted that's for special occasions and should be taken seriously at all times. My every day bourbon was Baker's or Knob Creek.

I think the distinction is there because Scotch has a much longer history of being a universally recognized and lauded premium spirit, it has a very good "head start". A lot of this distinction also has to do with the Scotch industry being well entrenched and advertising worldwide for some time now. I dont think it has to do with it being American per say. Canadian whiskey is even lesser known than Bourbon.

Scotch is my favorite spirit hands down, but I find myself not drinking it too much in the hotter months. June, July and August I drink primarily Bourbon and Rum. Van Winkle, Bookers, and Blantons are my fav's. Knob Creek for everyday type stuff.

Is it that it is made in the U.S.A and not perceived as “sophisticated”
Man, when I was stationed in Germany my German buddies would beg for me to get a bottle of Jack for them. :r

I think you are partially right about the bourbon coming from the south, though I don't doubt that the majority of scotch drinkers drink it because they enjoy it.

I know you said 'compared', but I don't think we have to worry about bourbon being limited. With approx. 131 brands and many having 2-3 blends we could buy a bottle a week and not sip the same drink for more than 3 yrs.

Knob Creek is tasty, though my favs are Basil and Elijah Craig. And the cigar I prefer with bourbon is a RP Vintage.

I enjoy bourbon much more than scotch. Bourbon is just a flavor that suits me. I am a fan of Knob Creek, but my all time fav is the Jim Beam Black. It's everything I am looking for in a drink, and I can never get tired of it. I also like the Rare Eagle and Jeffersons if I am going to sit down and have one slow drink.
Though my favorite way to drink bourbon is in the summer on ice with just one little wedge of a key lime from my tree. That and a cigar is a perfect evening outside.
As far as cigar pairings, I have not smoked a cigar and said this does not go well with a bourbon.

Is it that it is made in the U.S.A and not perceived as “sophisticated”.

I am with KY Toker on this. True or not there is a perception of "moonshining", backwood stills, prohibition bootlegging, and southern rebelliousness (no offense intended - I am from Virginia) that goes with Bourbon. For years the industry played it up and marketed it that way. I think over the last few years you are starting to see some real effort at refinement and bettter marketing for the high-end bourbons. Look what the Tequila market has done. Cripes that was a liquor everyone associated with sticking bugs (a worm really) in the bottle and it's allure with mescal. But now there is very high end (and excellent) Tequila and the market is being rewarded. Bourbon is on the same path, but I hope there will always be that redneck, rebel appeal to it as well.

I love Bourbon, to me it is America's liquor. I admit I am not very well versed in the better brands. I like Jim Beam, and Makers Mark on the low end. Stumbled into Bulleit recently and really enjoy that. Woodfords Reserve a lot of folks like, but I am not crazy about it. I need to sample more of Bookers and Basil higher end stuff.

I get the opportunity to do a military air show over in Scotland at an Air Base called Leuchars (Royal Air Base) right outside of St. Andrews Scotland every couple years. I was there a couple years ago and I asked the question to various people (bar owners, liquor stores, golfers, etc) and they felt (without being condescending) American whisky was really a novelty for them. I understand the pride they have in Scotch, but as American Bourbon gets better and better they might be shocked by a broader appeal. Remember in the mid-70s the California wine industry cleaned the Frenchie's clocks at an annual wine tasting and it has been "game on" ever since. Over the last 30 years California has firmly established itself as a world class wine producer. Again, Mexico and Tequila are will on their way. Vodka is no longer associate with rock gut booze. With more effort, more refinement, paying attention to the customer, I think Bourbon can gain greater appeal.

Cheers,

BillyBarue

Do a search on it here. I think you will find plenty of BOTL here give Bourbon great respect.

Bourbon, especially premium bourbon, is in a bit of an upswing right now. I have one single malt scotch in my cabinet, while I have at least three bourbons (well, one is actually Tennessee Whiskey, but still closer to bourbon than Scotch). So many fine bourbons are out there it is difficult for me to chose a favorite.

Several of posters have summed it up. Bourbon hasn’t been on the world scene as a high end product for very long compared to Scotch. Bourbon also has a negative stereotype in many drinkers’ minds.

All styles of distilled spirits have a high end, and are usually quite nice. Some have caught on world wide, others are growing slowly. In 20 years, Bourbon will have high status, as it is quite worthy.

The comparisons to CA Wine (or any new world wine) are a good one. Look how long it took CA to get acceptance and they’ve been producing wine for over 100 years.

Bourbon, especially premium bourbon, is in a bit of an upswing right now. I have one single malt scotch in my cabinet, while I have at least three bourbons (well, one is actually Tennessee Whiskey, but still closer to bourbon than Scotch). So many fine bourbons are out there it is difficult for me to chose a favorite.

What are the ones you have - recs?

What is Tennessee whisky exactly (I guess I could google it)?

BillyBarue

Big fan of both, I really like Ezra B, but always have some Maker's Mark, Knob Creek or another small batch or two on hand.

Since we're here, and I would like to know about the mid-higher end recommendations (@ $30 - $50 ), when responding in this thread If anyone can "BOLD" their one recommendation in that realm I would appreciate it.

BillyBarue

Last edited:
I am a big fan of bourbon and I've tried the $15.00 bottles and the $100.00 bottles. Some of my favorites:

$15.00 Jack Daniels.. for $15.00 bucks you cant beat it, Jack is pretty smooth.
$15.00 Jim Beam..I don't care for the flavor profile on any Beam stuff.
$20.00 Knob Creek.. is sweet and kinda smokey a little like maple syrup.
$20.00 Makers Mark.. good stuff combines the best of Jack and Knob Creek
$15.00 Elijah Craig.. relatively unknown, sometimes hard to find but a great!! Bourbon
$30.00 Woodford.. for whatever reason I wasn't impressed, maybe too much alcohol.
$$$$ Basil Haydens..potent stuff, not as smooth and sweet very refined taste.
$$$$ Bookers..sames as above

If your new to Bourbon, don't think that you need to spend Scotch money on a good bourbon. I may be wrong, but for $15-20.00 you can pick up a decent Bourbon. IMHO the same money will get you a nasty bottle of scotch. Try one of the 3 or 4 listed in the under $20.00 range and try drinking it with ice and a very little bit of water. Don't drink a bunch of it, unlike good Scotch it'll definitely give you a rippin' hangover.

Any specific versions of Bookers or Basils??

There are only 1 kind of each. All are made by the company that makes Jim Beam. They have 4 "small batch" bourbons. Bookers, Bakers, Basil Haydens, and Knob Creek. I guess instead of releasing different variations on a single brand they decided to give each a different name and style. Check the website...

http://www.smallbatch.com/

IMHO Bookers>Knob>Basil Hayden>Bakers

I like bourbon it's perfect for any occasion you can sip it on the rocks, mixed, or if the mood strikes you can get stupid drunk and not feel guilty like if you had drank half a bottle of scotch.

Bourbon is great. In my bar I always have Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and 1792. Have yet to try Bookers or Maker's yet (have heard many good things) but plan too. I also always keep a big bottle of Jack (Tennessee Whiskey) as well as their single-barrel (which I LOVE!!!) for myself:r

Last edited:
Back