Boveda Humidification Packets

Product: Bóveda 69% RH
Type: Humidity Control Packets
Website: http://www.bovedadirect.com/ also http://www.humidipak.com/
OVERALL SCORE: 88.3 = STOGIE FRESH SILVER STAR RATING
boveda_69RH.jpg

BACKGROUND: You have probably already seen a Bóveda humidification packet if you have purchased a box of Fuente Hemingway Series, Fuente Fuente Opus X, or Don Carlos. Fuente’s fine cigars come shipped with a small humidity packet inside the box.

The patented technology of the two-way humidity control packet is impressive. The packet responds to the outside environment by adding or depleting pure water vapor as needed to maintain a constant internal environment. Not only that, but the pouch membrane allows water vapor to easily pass through—but does not allow liquid-water to pass through or leak into the container. Thus, you can place the Humidipak right on top of your cigars without fear of ruining your smokes. The Bóveda humidification packets come in three pre-set humidity levels: 65%, 69% and 72%. For this review, I chose the 69% RH packets.

SET UP AND USE: [Score: 96] The set up was a snap. You just insert the right number of packets into your humidor and that’s it. Bóveda recommends 1 packet for every 50 cigars your humidor can hold, plus one additional packet. For the test of this product, I chose two humidors. For the 165-count humidor, the recommended number of packets was five, while in the 50-count humidor I placed two packets.

Daniel Marshall (DM) and Elie Bleu humidors were used to test the accuracy and effectiveness of the Bóveda packets. Both high-quality humidors had been seasoned prior to the test and had been rock solid in holding a consistent RH with the standard foam humidifier. I simply removed the humidifiers in each humidor and replaced them with the Bóveda humidification packets. I dispersed the packets evenly throughout the humidor. There were some cedar sheets used to separate cigars in the DM, so I put two packets underneath the sheets and the other three on top. The DM was about two-thirds full of cigars, while the Elie was half full.

FUNCTION: Score: 94
Unlike some humidification devices, the flat Bóveda packets take up virtually no room in your humidor that could be better used for a cigar or three. After placing the packets in both humidors, I tracked the changes in humidity over the course of several days using digital hygrometers that were pre-calibrated using the Bóveda One-Step Calibration kit (See Stogie Fresh rating, 12/17/2005).

I checked the readings from the hygrometers in both humidors at three specific times during the day: 10:30 AM, 4:30 PM and 11:00 PM. The readings in the DM ranged from 68% to 73% RH with an average of 70.2%. The Elie Bleu values ranged from 63% to 69% with an average of 65.9%. The averaged values fell within the “real-world” error margin of +/- 3%. (See the detailed spreadsheet of the readings at http://www.stogiefresh.com/stogie_stats/boveda_test.htm)

The use error can be due to opening one’s humidors often, or because of a poor quality humidor. Real world conditions require opening and closing a humidor perhaps several times daily. I found the useage error was slight in my tests and not enough to make a negative difference in the quality of the smokes.

One of the values of the Bóveda packets is that they virtually eliminate the possibility of mold or mildew in your humidor. Many foam humidifiers will develop mold unless you are careful and attentive to the mixture of water and/or propylene glycol. Bóveda humidified humidors are worry free. The same is true of maintenance. The Bóveda packets are maintenance free. Just toss them in and forget about them for three months.

Also, the packets make a reliable and safe way to keep smokes fresh when you travel, they don’t take up much room in a travel humidor (more room for cigars!). Also, they provide an extra margin of safety if you are mailing smokes to a friend. Send that package via ground and don’t worry about the freshness of the cigars. Just place a Bóveda packet, along with the cigars, into a sealable plastic bag and place in an appropriate-sized box. Finally, if you are leaving on an extended vacation or business trip, it is comforting to know that your cigars will stay fresh without you having to put someone in charge of maintaining your humidor(s).

One thing to keep in mind is that the humidity packets are only guaranteed to be accurate to +/- 3%. This is probably “use error” and means you will need to consider the possible error of a humidor that does not have a good seal and the potential error of your hygrometer when making decisions about the status of the internal environment of your humidor. Using two excellent quality humidors, I found that the variance was marginal and certainly not enough to worry about maintaining the freshness of the cigars.

VALUE: Score: 75
The only downside of this product is its price. At $3.97 (USD) per packet MSRP, it would cost you about $48 per year (3 packets for a 50-99 count humidor). In my Daniel Marshall 165 count humidor, it would cost almost 80.00 per year. The cost for the Elie Bleu would run about $32. I wouldn’t recommend the packets for humidifying cabinet humidors or coolidors, the price of the packets would be too prohibitive.

For many, the convenience and peace of mind will be well worth the cost, especially if you spend considerable amounts for premium smokes. If you don’t have the time and energy to hover over your prized smokes, or if you travel frequently, the Bóveda packets may well be the perfect fit.

Great review. What's the usable lifespan on these things? You talked about the operating cost, but I'm wondering how long they last.

MikeZ said:
Question: Do the packets come sealed in something when purchased to ensure shelf life?

Yes, the packets come in a plastic bag and you cut the plastic bag and take out the packet. They're guaranteed by the company to last 3 months.

The Doc

If they are a two-way humidification device then it stands to reason that they can be re-charged. Think about it. If it can lower humidity where is that water going? Right back into the packet, no?

RumblePen said:
If they are a two-way humidification device then it stands to reason that they can be re-charged. Think about it. If it can lower humidity where is that water going? Right back into the packet, no?
Not necessarily. If they're 2-way then they're porous, which means that they can be susceptible to those pores clogging, and/or whatever material they use to absorb/desorb humidity might only have a limited useful life, which seems to be the case here.

All I know is that I've been using Dave's beads for well over 3 months, now, with nary a problem.

Back