Box Pressed Cigars

elderboy02

SilverBack
What are the advantages/disadvantages of box pressed cigars. For example, why would someone buy a box pressed cigar rather than a round cigar and vice versa?

Thanks!

What are the advantages/disadvantages of box pressed cigars. For example, why would someone buy a box pressed cigar rather than a round cigar and vice versa?

Thanks!

I asked the same question of the Detroit Gang at a herf; I like the 5 Vegas Double Nickel box-press stick and I wondered why it would be used.

I was told that a lot of smokers like to hold the cigar in their teeth while smoking (handy when playing cards and such). Personally, I like the Double Nickel because it's a 55 ring gauge which makes for a great draw and smoke, and it's rectangular shape is a novelty. I also have a couple of Oliva G's that are box-pressed.

I'm sure there are other reasons that I be happy to find out about too! :tu

Box Pressed Cigar means I can drive, I can use the lap top etc easier as it doesnt roll as much as the regular shaped cigar.

Also for me, Im afraid of a world without corners...

Mostly just a presentation-kind of thing, though they do seem easier to hold in my mouth. The one downside is that they tend to have more burn problems for me - uneven burns that need more touch-ups than the round ones.

It seems like more of a presentation style thing.
Certainly more comfortable in the hand as well.

Last edited:
Not sure, but I think it has something to do with the packaging efficiency of a square cigar vs. a round one. Basically, a certain amount of square cigars will take up less space then the same amount of round cigars.

From what I have heard over the years is that most of the "stories" on here are false.

Think about it........

box pressing saves space??? We are talking about such a small amount of savings in space that it is stupid. And if it was "cheaper" because you used smaller boxes then EVERY cigar would be that way.

Now here is what I believe is the real reason.

You have one cigar in sometimes 5+ different shapes because they taste different! Same tobacco, same leaf BUT different shape and you get different taste.

Box pressing is yet another shape that vary's in TASTE not space saving.

The few box presseds I have had usually burned funny and had harder draws than their round brothers. (5vegas A, RyJ Viejo,RP REO)

I prefer rounded.

From what I have heard over the years is that most of the "stories" on here are false.

Think about it........

box pressing saves space??? We are talking about such a small amount of savings in space that it is stupid. And if it was "cheaper" because you used smaller boxes then EVERY cigar would be that way.

Now here is what I believe is the real reason.

You have one cigar in sometimes 5+ different shapes because they taste different! Same tobacco, same leaf BUT different shape and you get different taste.

Box pressing is yet another shape that vary's in TASTE not space saving.

It doesn't save space, they take up the space that is there, because as we know, not all of them will be the exact same size as they may be rolled by different rollers. So when round cigars get pressed into the box they will fit into the box perfectly without any rolling around. Plus, it's old school cuban style. Cubans that come in a dress box are always pressed. Padrons' Cuban heritage shines through with their top lines that are box pressed like cuban's used to be. In the latest CA, Suckling took a Padron '26 to Don Alejandro. The Don said he hasn't seen that nice a box press for many, many years. It was very much like the old, old school cuban style.

As far as some nc's, it could very well be a fall-back, novelty size. Like the Brazilia.

IMO...

Box pressing is a natural occurence of cigars being packed in a box tightly. Why tightly, to keep them from rolling around and getting damaged. You don't get this in cabinets where the cigars are bundled and bound with a ribbon. The cigars in a cabinet stay round. Box pressing is not intentional but an out come of the packaging method.

Now if you read the other thread, box pressing is different than square pressing a cigar. These cigars are intentionally pressed in a square form. The reason.. maybe a combination of all those stated. Maybe seafarers wanted a cigar that wouldn't roll around deck in the chop...:chk

Some say pressed cigars have draw and burn issues, but I don't see any pros or cons to whether it's pressed or not. If you like it smoke it.:tu

Box pressing is a natural occurence of cigars being packed in a box tightly.

The thing is, it is not natural for the most part. The cigars are put into boxes and actually put under a press.

FWIW, I have never had draw or burn issues with a box-pressed nc cigar.

The thing is, it is not natural for the most part. The cigars are put into boxes and actually put under a press.

FWIW, I have never had draw or burn issues with a box-pressed nc cigar.

I think we may be saying the samething. Square pressed cigars are put under a press, but I don't think cigars put in dress boxes that develop a "box pressed" shape go under a press.

I was making a distincation between box and square pressed, "box" being from the box they are packed in, and "square" because they are put in a form and put under a press.

I think we may be saying the samething. Square pressed cigars are put under a press, but I don't think cigars put in dress boxes that develop a "box pressed" shape go under a press.

I was making a distincation between box and square pressed, "box" being from the box they are packed in, and "square" because they are put in a form and put under a press.

Thanks buddy, I learned something today!

Travis

Back