Breaking in my n00b friend

RaiderinKS

Lowland Gorilla
Well, we had our friends over for dinner last night, and I hooked him up with the n00bler sampler I had selected for him. So, lets get right to it:

I brought out the niceness for these sticks:

The equipment:

We each started with the Perdomo Cantero. I had no problems with this smoke. It burned evenly, wrapper was of good quality, and for the price, it was of satisfying flavor. However, we did have some ash problems...

The ash didnt go nearly as far as I would have expected. These might not even be long filler actually. Anyways, the n00b ashed in his cognac!

Regardless, we marched onward. He really did do a good job of handling everything I was throwing at him. Here is another (not red tinted) pic of the stick:

The finish was actually pretty smooth on these guys. For a short cigar, I was most impressed by how cool of a smoke it was. I expected to feel the burn, but honestly, I never did. The finish was slightly peppery, but mostly just stronger hints of the same earthy flavor that dominated most of the cigar:

Next, we moved onto a pair of Trilogy by Alec Bradley Authentic Corojo's. Again, this was a pretty short stick. Additionally, this is the first corojo I have ever had, as I have been out of smoking for a while and these have only recently become more popular. Here is the light:

Honestly, I wasn't ready for this stick after the other one. And I pretty much stopped taking pictures too. The flavor was good, construction, pack, and wrapper quality all seemed to hint at a more expensive cigar, but something started to bother me about it, so I backed off. I am embarrassed to say it, but I left a half smoked wounded soldier on this night:

I will have to try the Trilogy again later to give it a fair chance at earning a spot in my 'dor.

I had a good time, and the n00b did too. Hey, even our wives were enjoying themselves! He left with the other sticks I got him and a cutter. I assure you that we will be seeing him at the bottom of the slope!

Back