Broken Ronson

webjunkie

ChestBeater
So it seems my trusty Ronson JetLite has given up the ghost. It's just not lighting. Gas is coming out, it's sparking, but no flame is produced. I've tried compressed air, refilling it, and of course the ever popular banging it on the desk. Not really that last one, but who says violence never solves mechanical issues?

Anyone got any ideas? Or does anyone know a place in Colorado where I can find a new one? I could just order a couple off their website, and that way have a new one and a backup.

Edit -

And like the sleep deprived grad student that I am, I've put this in the wrong section. If one of the mods could move this to the accessories questions section, it would be great.

Anyone got any ideas?

Yeah.. i got an idea...Throw it in the garbage

about a year ago, i bought 10 of these from Walmart (they were $1.99)

I have three left that still work.. (one still in package & 2 around the house)

Moral of my story is that these things are cheap and they break pretty easily.. about 5 of them did the SAME exact thing yer speaking about... They just died one day, didnt do ANYTHING.. ive learned to deal with it. hehe

Try leaving it in your hot grill for a few minutes - maybe the hot compressed gas on the inside will blow through the problem. :D

Dont toss it until you have tried a better fuel. Vector or Lava will bring it back to life if there is still a spark. :tu

I've heard that stripping down to your skivvies, smearing peanut butter all over yourself, running up and down the street howling like a dog in heat while waving your jetlite over your head is supposed to work. If you try this be sure to video the event and put it on youtube for the others to learn from.

j/k

I would do what Bob said, but first I would check the obvious.... Make sure the flame level isn't turned all the way down.

I've heard that stripping down to your skivvies, smearing peanut butter all over yourself, running up and down the street howling like a dog in heat while waving your jetlite over your head is supposed to work. If you try this be sure to video the event and put it on youtube for the others to learn from...

This TOTALLY works! Tried it myself. :D

I bet if you took a eyeglass flathead screwdriver and bent out the little spark ignition so it is over the flame area, you might have some luck at getting it to work again.

Lots of Colibris and other butane lighters fail cause the metal igniter gets jammed too far from the gas thruster area and instead of sparking across the gas column, it sparks against the side wall, against the metal tube below the gas column area.

Anytime mine doesn't light, it's besause pocket lint has someway found it's way into the damn thing. I know ... it has a lid to prevent this ... don't ask. :confused: I blow it out & it works.

But then, as others have stated ... it's as cheap as a disposable.

Anytime mine doesn't light, it's besause pocket lint has someway found it's way into the damn thing. I know ... it has a lid to prevent this ... don't ask. :confused: I blow it out & it works.

But then, as others have stated ... it's as cheap as a disposable.

So if you Blow it , it works? :r :r I have a toaster, a drill that don't work. :r

I've heard that stripping down to your skivvies, smearing peanut butter all over yourself, running up and down the street howling like a dog in heat while waving your jetlite over your head is supposed to work. If you try this be sure to video the event and put it on youtube for the others to learn from.

j/k

I would do what Bob said, but first I would check the obvious.... Make sure the flame level isn't turned all the way down.

:r All good suggestions. For this one, should I bother waiting for the snow to melt? Or would snow help my chances? :chk

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm trying everything. Including banging it on the desk. I don't think it'll do much but it helps me feel better (I'm in the middle of writing a paper and I'm just eating it).

I've also e-mailed ronson, because theoretically these things have a one year warranty and I've only had mine for six months. So we'll see if anything happens there.

wow you are stuck in the snow?

Not really. It has all melted now. The thing is I'm from North Carolina, and going to school in Colorado. It's April and it has snowed at least seven times within the past two weeks. Just a bit weird for me is all.

Not really. It has all melted now. The thing is I'm from North Carolina, and going to school in Colorado. It's April and it has snowed at least seven times within the past two weeks. Just a bit weird for me is all.

heh...they you should be on a tail end of a Ronson bomb!
PM me

Back