Building My Own Cabinet Humi

Ok it is time. I know that Bruce5 and IHT have been waiting for this day so here it is........... I have been approved by the BOSS (my fiance) to purchase a cabinet humidor around the size of Bruce5's. I know, I know I'm starting to tear up too :rolleyes: So after doing some research I think I'm gonna try and build my own cabinet humi.

I've checked around and for the size I want to purchase it would be around $700-$800 to buy it outright. After estimating the cost to build it I think it would only be around $150-$200. I'm so damn excited.

The only thing is, I need to know how to apply the lining in order to create an airtight seal. I was thinking of using a clear plastic strip to line the edge of the doors. Has anyone else attempted this? I was interested to see what other people used in order to keep in the proper amount of humidity. I know my local tobacconist uses a black rubber weather stripping around the door to their walk in Humi, but I'm trying to figure out what would be the best.

If all goes correctly my Humi would be about 4ft tall x 3ft wide and around 2ft deep with 4 or 5 shelves on the inside. I'm going to use glassfront doors so that I'll be able to properly display all the smokes that I'm going to eventually buy:D

I'm also planning on getting the same type of humidification system that Bruce5 has as it seems to work well for him (and I trust his judgement).

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions on what I should do? Any helpful hints from the gorillas who have built their own?

LasciviousXXX said:
Ok it is time. I know that Bruce5 and IHT have been waiting for this day so here it is........... ..... Any suggestions on what I should do? Any helpful hints from the gorillas who have built their own?

Did you see any pics from my homemade humidor "BabiHumi"?

Check it out
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5903&highlight=babyhumi

You really don't need it to be air tight, and I would say, it shouldn't be. Just make sure you don't have huge gaps so as to be able to hold the humidity at a desired level. After a tip and conversations with others here, I now exchange the air inside my humidor with fresh air over 16x/day. I rigged up a fish tank air pump and pump in fresh air 24/7. I still only have to add water about every two weeks using the Cigar Oasis II.

If you have any questions PM me.
Matt

Agree with Matt that it doesn't have to be perfectly sealed, just good. I saw a nice idea for a seal on the LGC Limited Edition Humi. It had a small rabbet or dado on the front face with a rubber gasket sticking up about 1/32" proud. Then they used magnets to pull the door against the gasket and keep the door closed.

As for the savings of building your own, I'm sure there are a few tool you will NEED to buy to complete this project :D

I like LasciviousXXX idea of putting in a glass door. If you are going to the trouble of building a humidor you have to be able to display the cigars. I'm curious as to how much spanish cedar costs?

Jeff

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm really looking forward to the finished product. I'm no master craftsman like MattK (good job by the way) but I think it will turn out nicely. Matt I'm planning on getting the Moist-N-Air active humidifier that Bruce5 has do you think I'll still need to air it out every once in awhile?

Matt, did you line the inside with the Spanish cedar panels or build the entire wall structure out of Spanish Cedar? I loved your idea of putting the sliding cedar shelves in there, awesome idea.

I really appreciate everyone pitching on ideas, I'll keep you guys updated on the construction. Hopefully I'll be able to post pics if I can figure it out.

Any more ideas just let me know,
Dustin

Dustin,
My 6 foot cabinet is not "perfectly airtight". It is mostly air tight. The gap around the edges of the door which is 6 feet x 2 (for both sides and a little less than 2 feet x 2 (top and bottom) varies between approx 1/16 and in a small area in the top corner it may reach 1/8 inch.
I happen to have some 1/8th inch high rubber weather stripping.
My gap is not really big enough to use same. If you wind up with a bigger gap, you are welcome to mine.
You probably can get by with one of the Oasis models for humidification.
I prefer to Moist-N-Air for the bigger fan for circulation and a much larger water supply.
Not to pull you away from your project, but bargainhumidors has a couple smaller cabinet humis that may be right up your alley as well. With those, you know you have a good seal, it is already lined with ceder, has a glass front... and all the labor is done for you. If you look at your current price of your materials (which may be a little low), your labor and headaches to build,
you may wish to consider them. I believe you can also buy them with the Oasis humidifcation unit.
Here is a link for the cedar... somewhat expensive but a very good source.
http://www.rockler.com/index.cfm?cookietest=1&sid=AF255

The way I sealed mine was I have a rabbet 1/2 the thickness of the wood going around the perimeter of my door. That way when the door is closed, half of it sits inside of the "box". Then I put in the spanish cedar so that adds another 1/4" of "seal". A couple cuts either with the router or table saw and then some fine trimming with a hand plane and you can get a perfect fit. I also rounded the edges so that it closes easily. I was most worried about my seal, but give yourself a little time and a plane and you can make a perfect fit.

I will post some pictures of mine tomorrow when Im back at school and on my computer.

Thanks everybody you have all been a big help.

Quick question Bruce, why do you recommend the Oasis over the Moist-N-Air? Is it because of the size? I plan on making it around 4 feet tall and it will probably be around 3 feet tall, is this too small for a Moist-N-Air?

Thanks again for all the help

By no means am I an authority on this. I am only sharing my personal experience. My Oasis did great in a 70 qt cooler, which seems to be about less than 1/2 the size of what you are building. People do use them in cabinets up to your size.

I just think the Moist-n-air is more effecient for bigger cabinets due to bigger fan for circulation and bigger resevoir for less maintaince.
Check out this link on the Oasis.
http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/cigar_oasis_electric_cigar_humid.htm
You are always free to pm me as well.

As an amateur woodworker and amateur cigar smoker, I could totally geek out over this. Please post more about how this project goes for you.

LasciviousXXX said:
Matt I'm planning on getting the Moist-N-Air active humidifier that Bruce5 has do you think I'll still need to air it out every once in awhile?

I have heard that injecting fresh air to replace the expelled ammonia is a must. So if you are the type to open your humidor daily for a quick review of inventory, no worries. If not, I would build it to exchange air automatically.

LasciviousXXX said:
Matt, did you line the inside with the Spanish cedar panels or build the entire wall structure out of Spanish Cedar? I loved your idea of putting the sliding cedar shelves in there, awesome idea.

I lined the walls,top and bottom w/1" spanish ceder boards. Tongue and Grooved the edges and literally POUND them into place.

Test fitting the cedar boards before tongue and groove process.

Last edited:
Ok I'm totally a newb when it comes to woodworking so it might not be pretty (in fact it won't be pretty) but it will be efficient and that's good enough for me. Hopefully the glass front doors will give it a little bit o' class. I'll keep you guys updated.

LasciviousXXX said:
Ok I'm totally a newb when it comes to woodworking so it might not be pretty (in fact it won't be pretty) but it will be efficient and that's good enough for me. Hopefully the glass front doors will give it a little bit o' class. I'll keep you guys updated.

Dont cut yourself short. This was my second woodworking project ever. I was just really carefull before I cut.

LasciviousXXX said:
Holy Crap Matt, That's damn fine craftsmanship for the second project. I'm impressed. Rep points coming your way.

You ever been to the CigarKing in AZ. Just curious how Mitch (owner) is doing? The probably cannot remember me. I just met him when he sold the Chicago Cigar King to his brother.

Nope, sorry Matt. Not quite sure where it is either. Let me know which city its in as I'm always looking for new smoke shops to visit. If I stop by I'll let the owner know you said hi - and that he should send you free smokes to fill your beautiful BabyHumi :D

Dustin,

You may want to get in touch with Ron from cigarsolutions on this. He just joined here....he has teamed up with Avallo and is well known on BOTL.org. He may be able to direct you to some places to get spanish cedar, other supplies, and have some tips for you.

I know they use the Accumonitor sytem, looks good but is around $300.

Best of luck on the humi and keep us posted. I think I'll be getting a wine chiller in the spring, it gets pretty hot here in VA during the summer and I'd like to keep my cigars under 70 F.

Back