Buncha newb questions

Scott M

SilverBack
So I've done the searches, read the threads, still have some questions;

-How dry is too dry?

After recieving a "starter package" from an overly generous BOTL, I really feel the need to dive right in. I recently burned a Mac that, in retrospect, was probably pretty dry (like it's sister in the Humi). Some of the sticks in the package didn't crackle when I gently rolled them, but others are more "vocal". Is there some auditory cues (like "a little crackle", "alot of crackle", "rolling thunder", etc) I can use to guage when a stick needs more time to compose itself?

-Fluctuations in the humidor

Using a digital hygrometer, the humidity levels in my humidor can fluctuate by as much as 5% over the course of a day. I'm pretty sure I prepped it well enough and my devices are all filled. The humidity in my house is pretty low. I don't think it's any big deal (the range is usually between 64 and 67%), but I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen.

-Where the heck do you cut a torpedo?

-At my level of experience, (very low), is burning a fuller body stick going to kick my butt and call me Shirley?

I dip, probably more than I should, (I don't smoke, and can't at work anyway), so my nicotine exposure level is already fairly high. Am I going to get blasted if I try a fuller cigar, or do I have a little more wiggle room than someone just starting out?

-Are Cuban cigars REALLY that much better than the ones I can legally buy CONUS?

-When did CA start publishing alot less C, and almost all A, (without the T, like Playboy)?

-Why did I click onto the Cigarbid.com link, and what can I do to purge myself of going there?

Eyes are now SO MUCH bigger than my humidor.

-Is it me or was Catherine Zeta Jones ALOT HOTTER before she had the kid?

And last;
-Why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill?

All comments are appriciated and replies will be responded to in kind.
Much grass,
Scott"babeinthewoods"M

Last edited:
I can''t answer any of those questions and by the way I did take the blue pill and its no different than taking the red one.

Jerry in Minnesota.

How dry is too dry?

I'm no expert on the crackle, just leave them in the humidor for a while longer....I know its hard to resist the temptation. Keep in mind, one stick may be dry, while the others are good....it just depends on the type of wrapper leaf used.

Your humidor may have swings, mine does. Not sure if they are 5% though. My humi stays in the 63-66 % range, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Did you do the flashlight test to make sure there was a good seal? Is it near a window where it can get sunlight? Fluctuations in temp can also change the humididty also.

Where you want. Cut a little, if you dont get the draw you are looking for keep cutting. Its your cigar, cut it where you want to.

-At my level of experience, (very low), is burning a fuller body stick going to kick my butt and call me Shirley?

Fuller body (taste) doesn't always mean more strenght (nicotine). Maduros are full bodied to me and not strong. If you dip you should be ok. Just make sure you eat and have a sprite or coke with you for the sugar.

-Are Cuban cigars REALLY that much better than the ones I can legally buy CONUS?

Some of them, YES. I still do like Ashton VSG's, Padrons, Torano's... but I have enjoyed Cuban cigars the most.

-When did CA start publishing alot less C, and almost all A, (without the T, like Playboy)?

??? I picked up my first mag in April of last year. Lots of expensive ties, not much on cigars.

-Why did I click onto the Cigarbid.com link, and what can I do to purge myself of going there?

Do not resist, there is no help for you. (or me!)

Can't help you there either.

And last;

Because the red one is better!

Don't worry too much about humidity fluctuations up and down. 65 - 70 is OK, Too high check you PEG water mix or get the beads, always too low, check for leaks in your box. Some cigars smoke dry, ie taste dry, wet ones plug up. If you smoke a doulble ligero smoke and it doesn't kick your butt and call you Shirley then none will. Cut the Torpedo at the head with a double blade cutter a little at a time until you get a good draw unlit, then fire it up. I always like to taste the cigar before lighting and check the draw. Get a bigger humi or smaller eyes.
Welcome aboard---

Please note that these are strictly the opinion of the author and do not reflect the opinions of the board and by no means am I an expert.

-How dry is too dry? Anything below 60% RH

After recieving a "starter package" from an overly generous BOTL, I really feel the need to dive right in. I recently burned a Mac that, in retrospect, was probably pretty dry (like it's sister in the Humi). Some of the sticks in the package didn't crackle when I gently rolled them, but others are more "vocal". Is there some auditory cues (like "a little crackle", "alot of crackle", "rolling thunder", etc) I can use to guage when a stick needs more time to compose itself? If the end of the cigar sounds like dried leaves and does not immediately spring back to form then your humidor is probably too dry. Naturally if the wrapper cracks when you do this test, then your humidor is toast.

Using a digital hygrometer, the humidity levels in my humidor can fluctuate by as much as 5% over the course of a day. I'm pretty sure I prepped it well enough and my devices are all filled. The humidity in my house is pretty low. I don't think it's any big deal (the range is usually between 64 and 67%), but I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen. Me personally, I gave up trying to maintain PERFECT RH, unless you have a electronic temperature and RH controlled humidor, I say leave it well enough alone and just make sure it doesn't get too high or too low.

-Where the heck do you cut a torpedo? Depends of how big of a ring gauge you enjoy smoking. I like robusto sized cigars so I cut it pretty low to get at least a 50+ ring gauge, if you like smaller cigars cutting it higher though it'll probably take you a year to smoke.

-At my level of experience, (very low), is burning a fuller body stick going to kick my butt and call me Shirley? A full-bodied cigar that has a high nicotine content can definately lay you on your arse if you are not an experienced smoker. So can smoking a stogie too quickly. Though keep in mind that full-bodied and full-flavored are necessarily the same thing. Smoke a Fuente Opus X Double Corona on an empty stomach and you'll know a world of pain. :pu

I dip, probably more than I should, (I don't smoke, and can't at work anyway), so my nicotine exposure level is already fairly high. Am I going to get blasted if I try a fuller cigar, or do I have a little more wiggle room than someone just starting out? If you dip on a regular basis then in all likelihood the effects of nicotine are not going to be as severe as someone who only smokes cigars casually and that is it, no cigarettes, dip, etc.

-Are Cuban cigars REALLY that much better than the ones I can legally buy CONUS? Ha, don't really wanna touch this one. ;) Different strokes for different folks. It is like most everything, one man's trash is other man's treasure. It all depends on the individual. Its apple and oranges, which one is better?
-When did CA start publishing alot less C, and almost all A, (without the T, like Playboy)? Yeah this was a pisser for me too :c I have been a subscriber for like 7 years. This was just a recent phenomenon probably may the last 1-2 years. Same goes for CA. ;)

-Why did I click onto the Cigarbid.com link, and what can I do to purge myself of going there? Never been there but if it is anything like E-bay, I know your pain.

And last;
-Why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill? Huh, what blue pill, I only saw the red one.
All comments are appriciated and replies will be responded to in kind.
Much grass,
Scott"babeinthewoods"M

Scott M said:

Using a digital hygrometer, the humidity levels in my humidor can fluctuate by as much as 5% over the course of a day. I'm pretty sure I prepped it well enough and my devices are all filled. The humidity in my house is pretty low. I don't think it's any big deal (the range is usually between 64 and 67%), but I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen.
{IHT - i wouldn't worry about those fluctuations, as long as it's within the range of where you want your cigars humidified}

{IHT - the pointed end. :fu seriously, some only cut about 1/8" off the tip, i like to cut a bit more off. if you start with 1/8" and you dont' get enough draw, you can clip it again... some also clip at an angle.}

{IHT - yes, even on a full stomach. my next answer will surprise you a bit as well.}

I dip, probably more than I should, (I don't smoke, and can't at work anyway), so my nicotine exposure level is already fairly high. Am I going to get blasted if I try a fuller cigar, or do I have a little more wiggle room than someone just starting out?
{IHT - coppertop and I work with a guy who loves to dip... and i mean ALL DAY long he's dippin'. down in texas, my boss hands him a standard Padron 3000 maduro, and he smokes it down about as far as you can smoke a padron... he acts like nothing is wrong, but later that day, confides in me by saying that it did kick his butt. he was talking big the day before because of his dipping habit, and the nicotine, etc. a few nights later, i gave him an SLR PC (cuban), and he said that it got him a little woozy as well.
so, just cuz you dip and are exposed to nicotine, smoking a cigar is a bit different. the only thing you can do it TRY IT OUT FOR YOURSELF.}

{IHT - judging by the term "conus", you're a military guy - so am i. i won't answer this directly, but i'll give you a challenge. smoke CONUS cigars for a month or two, try as many as you want, then if you get the chance, maybe someone will hook you up with a few OCONUS cigars for you to be the judge.}

{IHT - i don't know, but their reviews are heavily biased to the manufacturers who pay them the most in advertising, if you haven't noticed. like when a Te-Amo beats out a very solid cuban cigar?? :al }

{IHT - find what you like, stick to it. find a good online retailer, buy those from there. if you want to try something new, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOP by buying some there, asking for suggestions based on what you already like and what you're looking for in a cigar. hopefully they'll have someone there who knows what to hook you up with. but c-bid isn't all that bad, you can find good deals on travel humis and stuff like that (cigar clips for golfing, etc).}

{IHT - haven't seen her after, but she's hot either way, i'm sure.}

And last;
{IHT - matrix? coppertops nickname is from the matrix. it's what the blonde says to neo in the car when she's pointing the gun at him, calls him "coppertop".
my question is: why can't joe p. cut his little beard straight in that movie? it's always off to one side.}

my comments are bolded in the quote.

Yep when Switch calls Neo "Coppertop." Thats where my name is from. Since I love that movie....I've seen that moviw more times then I care to disclose.

Since everyone else has answered your questions well, I won't. Good luck........enjoy this period....learning what you like and don't like. Learning all the terms and smoking new sticks. Man a lot of fun. Enjoy it.

-How dry is too dry?

It's really personal preference. Don't lose sleep over it now, just adjust your humidor up or down as you continue to smoke cigars. Niticing if you think they are to dry, wet, etc.

In MN in the winter, the house is at about 37% humidity. My huni's stay pretty consistant, but can vary from top to bottom, depending on the size.

Closer to the end to concentrate the smoke, further into the cigar to open it up.

It's worth it just to hear a cigar call you Shirley.

Absolutely personal preference. There are crappy Cubans and crappy non-Cubans, and vice versa.

About 2 years ago.

Welcome to the slippery slope.

She's still way freakin' hot.

I believe that the fluctuation may be cause by a bad seal. If not, then make sure you are using 50/50 PG solution in your credo. This solution is the secret to keeping a steady RH. CA used to have cover pictures of people with a cigar. Now is just the people's picture. What the hell happen to the cigar? Shift of interests and influences. Same thing with gun magazines, they are so biased and influenced by manufactures it's has become crap. I learn more online and in forums like this. Where real people are with real, unbiased opinions. Man I talk a lot. I'm out.

Back