burnt out on cigars?

kalvinchris

ChestBeater
I love cigars, I log on here 5 times a day, I've managed at least a cigar a day for the past couple years (I first started 2 years ago), and I've got a cooler full of smokes. Most of which are pretty damn good. A few rockets, but we all have those.

Now for the past week, my enjoyment in smoking has been wearing out. I haven't been sick or anything. Smokes I thought were amazing before? Eh whatever.

It's like they are all the same and the flavors aren't even hitting my palate. Am I just suffering from cigar overkill? I know some of you smoke a lot more than me. It's my daily ritual to come home after work and school to light up a stogie and read or do homework. I'm taking this as a sign to just take a few days off. But has this happened to anyone else? Am I going crazy? :D

I love cigars, I log on here 5 times a day, I've managed at least a cigar a day for the past couple years (I first started 2 years ago), and I've got a cooler full of smokes. Most of which are pretty damn good. A few rockets, but we all have those.

Now for the past week, my enjoyment in smoking has been wearing out. I haven't been sick or anything. Smokes I thought were amazing before? Eh whatever.

It's like they are all the same and the flavors aren't even hitting my palate. Am I just suffering from cigar overkill? I know some of you smoke a lot more than me. It's my daily ritual to come home after work and school to light up a stogie and read or do homework. I'm taking this as a sign to just take a few days off. But has this happened to anyone else? Am I going crazy? :D

One a day is a lot. Take a week off, you'll get that craving again.

It's happened twice to me on long streaks of smoking a lot. I average maybe 5 a week but if i got maybe 3 weeks with no day off I get into that type of rut too. A few days off and then a good welcome back smoke always get me through it though.

If I smoked the same thing often, I can see that happening to me. I won't smoke the same cigar within 2 weeks of each other.

I have never been burned out on cigars, but I do lilke to take a week or two off from time to time. I think it helps me enjoy my cigars more.

I always vary the smokes so I'm never hitting the same thing each day. Mild-full, all different wrapper types, and I would say I smoke good quality cigars for the most part (of course, tastes are always debatable :D)

When I really like something I have a tendency to go all out so my thinking is "a cigar a day, no problem!" But I know that is more often than most people. I'll just take it as it goes, but I am going to take a break for a few days and see how I feel.

It's happened twice to me on long streaks of smoking a lot. I average maybe 5 a week but if i got maybe 3 weeks with no day off I get into that type of rut too. A few days off and then a good welcome back smoke always get me through it though.

I'm also dealing with finals and trying to write an entire speech in Japanese so maybe the stress level is a bit high too. Sitting here at the computer working, I want a good smoke to go with it damn it! :D Too bad it hasn't been tasting so good though.

Sounds like your burned out. Take a break and rest. I've burnt out on cigars, and sports. Take months off at a time. It might have something to do with our personality. I get obsessed with something new at first, then get tired of it after a while and burn myself out.

I'm guessing it's the "ritual" that's getting you. My suggestion would be to get your studying out of the way and then reward yourself with a cigar when you're not focused on something else. Either that or grab a "lower expectation" cigar when you're studying. I know I don't grab a VSG when I'm grilling because I'm not paying it as much attention due to the cooking.

Studying, finals, chores, etc. can take alot of focus and will take away from your enjoyment. Just my :2

Sounds like your burned out. Take a break and rest. I've burnt out on cigars, and sports. Take months off at a time. It might have something to do with our personality. I get obsessed with something new at first, then get tired of it after a while and burn myself out.
:tpd:
I'm exactly the same way. All or nothing, one extreme or another. I am busy enough right now with the end of the semester that many days I just have no time to smoke. When I have more time I may get burnt out on cigars but now I smoke whenever I can grab some time.

When I have gotten burnt out in the past I just gave myself a break for a few days. Pretty soon I was staring at my humi again, trying to figure what exactly I wanted to smoke.

I'm guessing it's the "ritual" that's getting you. My suggestion would be to get your studying out of the way and then reward yourself with a cigar when you're not focused on something else. Either that or grab a "lower expectation" cigar when you're studying. I know I don't grab a VSG when I'm grilling because I'm not paying it as much attention due to the cooking.

Studying, finals, chores, etc. can take alot of focus and will take away from your enjoyment. Just my :2

I think you may be on to something here. Much like other acts of adulthood, spontaneity is the key to enjoyment. If you develop it as a ritual, it almost becomes a chore, or obligation...something where you might actually experience, "Well, it is a daily thing, so I guess I better get to it".

I agree that with some of the others in that you need to take some time off. A few days, a week...something.

Lose the ritual and remember that spontaneity breeds more enjoyment.

Take care.

Jim

P.S. - Since no one has been crass enough to say it yet... In case this is more than a phase you are going through, I have plenty of room if you need help off-loading those burdensome things. :dr

When i first got my humidor some years ago, i was smoking every day for a long while. Then it hit me that, I was burned out after i really wasn't looking forward to lighting up anymore. It happens to the best of em. anyways, give it a few days, then maybe treat yourself to a nice smoke that you've been wanting to try right after you finish that Japanese speech.

I agree with all of the previous advice. And remember the old adage, absence makes the heart grow fonder. I'm assuming a couple of days or weeks without cigars might be exactly what you need to appreciate and enjoy them again. Good luck :tu

Yes... you are burnt out... the only cure is to immediately get rid of all the smokes in the vicinity.......my address is.......:ss

Thanks for the words everyone, glad to know I haven't lost it. And I appreciate those who want to help by taking everything off my hands, but I think I will survive :D

I bet in a few days this will all clear up and I will be posting to tell you all how great the cigars taste again!

Back