Buying a Large Capacity Humidor

emgjet

ChestBeater
Hello everyone! Just needed some feedback and info about a Large capacity Glasstop Humidor that I was thinking about purchasing. It's called the "Vicksburg or Gettysberg" which supposingly has a 300+ cigar count capacity:

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/itemdetail.asp?SKU=HUM-BH2

What's the best kind of humidifier f0r this Humi? The company offers the smaller Oasis humidifier as a package deal, but that device has only a 150+ cigar capability. Any suggestions for better humidification for this Large Humidor? Does anyone own one of these Humi's? Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks.
Ed :)

emgjet,

Nice looking humidor. I have no experience with that particular box or the Bargain Humidors company, but I do own six larger sized humidors with passive humidification systems.

When you receive the humidor, check to see that the lid seals well. Drop the lid from about half way open. If the sound is wood hitting wood, then the seal is not too tight. Return the unit. If you hear a "whooomph" sound, like there is a cushion of air in the box, then the box seals adequately.

I recommend the Diamond Crown extra large humidifier for a box your size. I have 4 Diamond Crown humidifiers and they have all performed well for several years. Use distilled water only. Dee's Fine Cigars ( www.c-gar.com )has the best price.

Others might recommend the Cigar Oasis active humidifier, which is about twice the price, but you won't have to check the water level so often. I have no experience with the Cigar Oasis, but Bargain Humidors has the best price to my knowledge.

I used an active humidifier from Habitat Monitor (http://www.habitatmonitor.com/) in my 6' cabinet humidor. Bob Staebell uses the Habitat Monitor "set n forget" digital controls in his Aristocrat line of end table humidors.

... rjs

I have a 400 count and using the Cigar oasis. It works great!!!!!

Check with the pro's on this one my friend, but I heard that cigars age better in the dark. That may well be an old wives tale, but I would rather you research this before you buy a glass top humi rather than after.

Lamar,

Never heard about aging in the dark. I guess it depends on if he is going to age cigars in that humidor.

To me, aging cigars means to lay them down for years, not months. In my own case, I age the cigars by the box with a few exceptions, so they are in the dark anyway. Most of my loose cigars are for smoking now.

Assuming for the moment that he is going to age a couple of boxes, I would think he would put them in the bottom of the humidor since he doesn't need to get to them. If the cigars are either in boxes or at the bottom of the humi, then they will be in the dark anyway.

... rjs

Hi Ed. I just bought the Vicksburg and the Cigar Oasis from Bargain Humidors about 3 weeks ago. The Humidor is awesome and the Cigar Oasis does work very well in this humidor. The only problem for me is that i was only able to put about 300 cigars in it. If i had all corona sized cigars then i would have been able to put the full 500 like advertised, but i have a few large ring gauge cigars and the space realy gets used up quick. I plan on buying the Antitam from Bargain Humidors in another few months and that humidor should do me fine :) But to re-answer your main question, the Cigar Oasis works awesome in the Vicksburg. You won't regret that humidifier!

Hope this helps,
Vic

Vic: Thanks for the advice...nothing like getting feedback from someone who has the Humidor himself. My main concern was the ability of the Oasis to adequately handle te cigar count capacity. What kind of meter do you use, e.g. digital or analog?

Ed :)

Back