buying a new 'dor

Fireman

Maturing Primate
Hi everyone,
I have recently stocked way up on smokes in preperation for the holidays,and I am in dyer need of a new humidor. Iam considering buying a glass top model, but Ihave never owned one. The two I have are both solid designs, and I was wondering if any of you have, or have had a glass top and could tell me anything about them(pro's/con's).
thank you for your help
Brett

I have a glass top desktop-type humidor (holds about 150) and my good friend has a humidor/table with a glass top. Personally, I have never had any trouble with it. Obviously, keep it out of direct light to keep your cigars in prime condition. Some may argue that the glass cannot absorb moisture and help regulate the humidity the way that a inner box that is fully spanish ceder would...but I honestly don't know enough about this to make a decent comment. Most cigar shops, whether they have cases or walk-ins, have atleast 50% of their humidors made of glass...so I really dont think it should be too much of a problem.

Fireman: Glass top humidors are nice & attractive since you can view your smokes, but remember to keep it away from sunlight because molds and algae can form and ruin your cigars. One of my humidors is a glass top, I believe it's a "del rey model", nice size (can hold about 70-140 smokes, depending on the size of yur cigars). Actually, I'm thinking of getting rid of it because I need a larger humidor...it's full.
When choosing glass top humidors, I've heard that some have had problems with the "Presidente" model because the analog hygrometer is built into the humidor, and also some seal problems.
Good luck in your search!
Ed

Personaly, I'd like to be able to buy a Hygrometer that lets you leave the probe inside and displays an lcd readout that you could stick to the outside of the humidor.

Then I wouldn't have to keep opening the humidor to check on it and it wouldn't take up any room at all inside.

Never seem anything like this for sale though.

And, same here fireman. I've got what you'd consider to be a large desktop humidor, but it's obviously too small for me now...Not sure where to go from here.

I'd wrestle anyones grandmother for a tastful looking coffee table HUGE humidor that didn't look like something one of my grandparents passed down to me.

Perhaps I'll end up making something myself.

Rob.

Rob: i have just the hygrometer that you described! It's from radio shack, and is wireless! The base unit comes with one probe and you can purchase up to two more and monitor 3 humidors from a remote location! Plus the base unit can also monitor the temp and RH inside your home too. I run two external probes. After the salt test, one was off by -1% and the other was off by -2%. The RH cannot be adjusted though, the only potentiometer inside is for the temp. It's a killer unit.

Vic

I have glass top and it has worked fine for me.
Yes keep out of direct sunlight but I have never had
a problem with it with indoor lighting.

try this site for your humi needs including a brand new larger furiture type just being released. Mike is a great guy and will set you up no matter what size humi you need.www.bargainhumidors.com
wherever you go there you are

Vikder, I just went to the site...
Looks promising.
How large is the actual sensor? The site only shows the main unit.
Also, does it state how accurate it it?

Rob.

Rob: here is the spec sheet from radio shack's site. the part number is 63-1031.

http://support.radioshack.com/support_meters/doc61/61520.htm

Vic

I also have the Radio Shack remote unit in my Haier Wine Cooler, it works great, I don't have to open the door to check anything, except of course to take out stogies!!!!!!!!

Fireman,

I'm a big proponent of glass top humidors for all the reasons previously stated. I own 3 of them. You can check on the temp/RH and pick out a smoke without opening the box.

Whether glass top or not, the most important feature is how the box seals. Drop the lid closed from about the half open point. The lid should not slam shut, but rather make a cushioned thud or "phhhhht" sound when closing. If the lid slams shut, the seal is questionable. The box may seal well when initially seasoned, but breath too much as the wood releases some water.

Look for brands that you know have performed well for friends or other LLGs. You can get lots of input from this board. Otherwise, if you have the money, you can go with established brands such as Diamond Crown and you won't go wrong.

If you order over the net or through a catalog, ask if they can check the seal prior to shipping. Smaller companies might check, larger companies probably won't.

... rjs

Back