C.A.O. l'Anniversaire Cameroon - toro

Bobb

je snork donc je suis
Puff by puff review of:

C.A.O. l'Anniversaire Cameroon
Vitola: toro/box pressed (I'd guess 5 1/2 X 46)
Made in: Esteli, Nicaragua
W: Cameroon, B: Nicaraguan, F: Nicaraguan

Clipped with a modified cheap cutter (I'll post pics of my cutter soon...it is slick!) and lit with a xikar enigma.

First draw, surprisingly good. A hint of sweetness. Not a lot of smoke though. Draw is a little tight. It's a boxed pressed stick, so hopfully it will open up in a bit. By puff #3, it is starting to taste a little metallic...kind of like copper...or iron ;)

The metallic taste is getting stronger. Wrapper just split on me. I know this happens from time to time on Cameroon cigars due to the delicate nature of the leaf, but I've never had a Perdomo Reserve Cameroon split on me...or an Ashton Puro Sol...so I'm guessing CAO did not spend the big bucks for the good tobacco on this one.

Starting to taste like dirty metal now. wow...I am not enjoying this cigar at all.

Almost half way through. For what it's worth, it is burning flawlessly...even with the wrapper shedding to pieces. No touch ups needed so far. Still has a hint of sweetness...still tastes like dirty metal. I would guess this is what blood would taste like if it came from a diabetic who recently ate 27 crispy cream donuts. :pu

More dirt now and less metal. I am tasting hints of earthiness...not just dirt. I love a nice rich earthy tasting cigar...but I fear that these desirable aspects of flavor will remain far in the background. Every so often I get a puff of smoke that tastes really good..but it is then immediately followed by that sweet metallic aftertaste that I do not like.

Last third now. Metallic aftertaste is starting to fade away. The flavor is now slighty nutty with that hint of sweetness. Actually enjoyable at this stage so far.

I just hit this puppy with a Don Salvatore Draw Enhancer (if you do not know what that is....here is a picture)...and it helped a lot. I'm now getting a nice amount of smoke with each draw...and the flavor has dramatically improved. Earthy, slightly sweet, and a touch of spice has joined the party. If the whole cigar tasted like this last third, I'd actually think about buying a box...I am really enjoying it now. 15 mins ago, I would have never thought of smoking this cigars again...but now I might try one more later on to see if that metallic aftertaste of the first 2/3rds was a fluke...or if that's just the way this cigar is.

Overall:
The very first puff of this cigar was great, but very shortly after it produced a very heavy metal aftertaste that did not rock (pun intended.) After suffering thought about 3 inches of crap, the cigar stepped up and improved itself drastically with nice, sweet, earthy flavors with a touch of spice. Burn was flawless throughout the entice cigar...not a single touch up needed. Wrapper split a but, but surprisingly did not affect the cigar's performance. Draw was a little tight, but fixable with the right tools. Would I smoke another one? Yes. I need to see if that aftertaste was a one time thing or not, because i really enjoyed the last 1/3rd.

This cigar sells very well in our shop, so even if the metallic aftertaste is just part of the cigar...some people really like it. I would recommend trying one if you can get a good deal on 'em or if gifted to you. We sell them at our shop for $8.55 a stick. NOT worth that price IMO...but like I said, if you can find them cheap...give one a try.

Rock on
~Bobb

Thanks for the very well done review. I've never had the cameroon because I got caught up in the L'Anniversaire eXtreme. It doesn't sound like I'm missing much, but for those interested in trying the cameroon, I see them all the time on the devil site.

Thats about how I feel on that stick.. I like EVERYTHING CAO has, even the gold's but that one is just one that does nothing for me.
Scott

Bobb, I really miss your reviews...I like the way you compare the flavors to really obscure things...like the Savoy being a 30yr Old Hershey bar left to age at the bottom of a swamp...and now the diabetic Krispy Kreme comment...when I am home this weekend we need to join forces and burn down something mediocre again...Talk To You Later...AWESOME REVIEW and lovely pun as well!

Back