C-bid shipped me Minty smelling smokes?

JPH

Ted Peffer fan club
So my auction was closing on a herfador (now I have the 5 and 15).. So I bid on some Gurkha Vintage Presidents because they were only $10 for 5...and they retail $30 for 5 from CI....

Got my package today and I always smell my gars right when I get them..Anyhow these smell minty.....sorta menthol-ish...I was wondering if anyone has experienced this....or what I should do....for now their in a separate plastic baggie in the Coolerdor..

Any Ideas?

So my auction was closing on a herfador (now I have the 5 and 15).. So I bid on some Gurkha Vintage Presidents because they were only $10 for 5...and they retail $30 for 5 from CI....

Got my package today and I always smell my gars right when I get them..Anyhow these smell minty.....sorta menthol-ish...I was wondering if anyone has experienced this....or what I should do....for now their in a separate plastic baggie in the Coolerdor..

Any Ideas?
Jeremy are you sure it's mint/menthol and not ammonia you're smelling?

Reactions: JPH
Jeremy are you sure it's mint/menthol and not ammonia you're smelling?

Not 100% sure..But to me it seems minty...may be amonia..good point....I dont think I have really ever smelled ammonia for cigars before. Thanks Vic...ya got me thinking.

So i guess I should let these rest a bit till this smell goes away?...I def. dont want to contaminate the rest of my smokes.

So i guess I should let these rest a bit till this smell goes away?...I def. dont want to contaminate the rest of my smokes.

Wouldn't worry too much about contaminating the smell if it's ammonia so long as you exchange fresh air once in a while in your storage unit of choice, or if you have a lot of smokes that smell this way. Either way it is a naturally occuring smell in the cigars, and will dissipate (that is, if it is ammonia).

Wouldn't worry too much about contaminating the smell if it's ammonia so long as you exchange fresh air once in a while in your storage unit of choice, or if you have a lot of smokes that smell this way. Either way it is a naturally occuring smell in the cigars, and will dissipate (that is, if it is ammonia).

Does ammonia resemble menthol smell at all.....B/c my first impression was menthol for sure.

Does ammonia resemble menthol smell at all.....B/c my first impression was menthol for sure.

I have only smelled ammonia in one cigar so far, an LGC series R. I definitely knew it as ammonia, but am familiar with the smell because I use it as a disinfectant. May tickle or bite your nose the same way that menthol does, but really no minty smell to speak of. Could be the way the cigar smell mixes with the ammonia in your olfactory? Then again, it may be that your smokes had an after dinner mint so they wouldn't have bad breath when they met you.

Any Ideas?

I am so happy that I'm not the only one who's noticed this!

I won a fiver of these about 2 months ago and also noted the menthol-ish smell. The strange funk continues throughout the cigar, as well, and translates into an equally peculiar taste IMHO.

All in all, I found that it really detracted from the cigar. I decided to let what's left rest to see if it helps mellow the funk. As of this writing, however, the funk is still very present.

Also, I haven't noticed the taste carrying over into other nearby sticks, but I keep mine celloed and it's only been 2 months or so.

Any Ideas?

IMO Gurkha smokes have a sweet spice taste to them, especially when they are young. I find a very similar spice taset profile in many Torano smokes as well; as you know Gurkha cigars are made by the Toranos.
But, if you want to send em back, you need to send a customer service request; they in turn will send you an RMA, and you will have to ship em back to them. They will then send you out a replacement order.

Jeremy

I had this same thing happen a few months back....it smelled minty....I took them out of their cello and put them in a seperate humi by themselves.....checked them daily and noticed the smell in the humi......after about a month the smell started going away, so I tried one, it seemed fine to me. Now I dont notice the smell at all.

This wasnt from CBID, I cant say for sure where they were from cause it was a gift....the cigars were CAO.

I picked up a 15 pack of Gurhka Vintage from one of CI daily special e-mails. They also had the minty menthol smell. I have about five left and they still have the same odor but not as strong. The smokes taste fine in fact they are good enough I would considier buying again.

Back