Cabaiguan Petites

Since Fred thought one of this line tasted like an aged Cuban Davidoff... it was time to try some for me. :D

cabjclosedeq6.jpg

50 Cab of these 4 1/2 x 32 lil guys came yesterday. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.. the Cubans in Cuba should be blushing regarding the packaging, box codes, warranty seals etc.

cabjbottomcr7.jpg

Nicely made cigars. A little soft to the touch like the tobacco was at a premium. Triple caps and a nice prelight smell and draw.

cabjopennw6.jpg

Smoked one on the way to work and another at lunch. Nice lil strongly flavored (not harsh) cigars. Have a bit of a kick and more bite on the nose than I prefer, but the flavors are quite excellent. Pretty sure I could determine that these were not Cuban blind.. but hey the advantage of "knowing" based upon pulling one from the cab is pretty strong. Burned perfectly, drew perfectly and presented a nice bold (not harsh) flavor profile for one so small.

What these are ... like most Pepin blends I have tried... are a flavor not quite Cuban but more like them and agreeable to my taste, than almost any NC cigars I have had. I put them into my mental grouping of "Cigars I would buy at a B&M if i was traveling and ran out of mine". They have some nuance even fresh. Probably a better straight forward taste than most young Cuban cigars of similar size just not the same depth and nuance.. might be due to their richness. Could be very interesting with some age on them.

The nose exhale is where I get the differences. These are just a little sharper. Flavors (good ones) just a little more direct a little more toward that burning mahogany undertone. These guys are doing something right. Really looking forward to what they might taste like with 4-5 years of age on them. The downside is that they cost more than similar Cuban cigars. Understandable given that it is US based labor making them. For now, a nice after a few cigars, cigar where the subtle differences to island smokes would be masked and the more straightforward/bolder flavors would be appreciated.

Guess it's time to try some larger RG versions of these.

Last edited:
Nice review Dave! I may have to grab some of these! You mentioned that these cost more than similar Cuban cigars; which Cuban PCs are cheaper than these? I found these Cabiaguans on Famous for $149.00/50 cab. From what I've seen, Partagas Shorts and Boli PCs (the cheaper hand rolled PCs) are at least $80 more per cab than the Cabaiguans, am I missing something?

Thanks for the review, I picked up a Cabaiguan several months ago, I cant remember the size, a corona gorda I believe. I smoked the one I picked up right at the B/M. I remember thinking, ehh okay.. havent picked one up since. But I should know better than judge a cigar by smoking just one, since fredster and Moki started the recent buzz about this brand I think I'll give them another shot.

again thanks for the review and pics

Last edited:
Hmmm, I"ll have to try one or two of these. I didn't love the one Cabaiguan I have smoked, but what can you really learn from one smoke?

I know now more than ever what klugs is saying about the nose exhale being a little sharp on some sticks.(just cigars in general, nothing Cabaiguan related, honestly can't remember what the snorking was like on them) IMHO it detracts from the over all experience.

Nice review Dave! I may have to grab some of these! You mentioned that these cost more than similar Cuban cigars; which Cuban PCs are cheaper than these? I found these Cabiaguans on Famous for $149.00/50 cab. From what I've seen, Partagas Shorts and Boli PCs (the cheaper hand rolled PCs) are at least $80 more per cab than the Cabaiguans, am I missing something?

Though they call these PC's on Famous (which are 42 x 5 1/8) they are actually 32 x 4 1/2. Most comparable size to a Cuban would be a Seone at 33 x 5 so think of them as a short thin seone, or a thin Panetelas (34 x 4 1/2)

And you need to look around a bit, Boli PC's and Party Shorts have become real value smokes of late.

Though they call these PC's they are not. Most comparable size to a Cuban would be a Seone at 33 x 5 so think of them as a short seone at 33 x 4 1/2.

And you need to look around a bit, Boli PC's and Party Shorts have become real value smokes of late.

Shocking, I was missing something! I didn't read the dimensions, I just read the vitola as "PC." Thanks!

I'm interested in this too, especially in this or similar vitola since these are smaller than PCs.

For the Cabaiguan line in general I love the Guapo, but am really looking forward to the new cigar with that wrapper in the smaller RG rumored to be out soon.

Hmmm...based on the box code and the warranty seal I think you got some fake Cabaiguans there! ;)

Thanks for the review! I need to pick up some more of these to age.

Thanks for the review Dave. Based on the Fredster/Moki thread I bought a box of the Coronas Extra and think they are a great smoke. I'm going to have to buy another box to age because I can't stop smoking this one.

Great review, Dave! Now that these have your seal of approval I imagine they will become increasingly difficult to find. :D

Thanks for the review. I dont know much about this company but it appears it's time to try a stick or two of these.

Thanks for the review. I dont know much about this company but it appears it's time to try a stick or two of these.

Sure you do, Hal. ;) It's Pete Johnson's (Tatuaje) and blended and made by Pepin. They are awesome smokes. :ss

Thanks for the review Dave.

I've passed by these sticks(different vitola...perhaps?) several times at a local B&M...Now I'll have to pick a few up!:ss

Reactions: hk3
based on the review thread, i also ventured into a cab (it was on sale too!). very good smoke. smooth and flavorful. refined. excellent value.

you gonna split this up?:r

I'll tell you what I'm gonna do.
Next time I'm in CLE, I will personally find this cabinet of smokes and send the whole damn thing to you. :tu Dave won't miss 'em. :D I can't believe he bought a cab of these...he needs help. :r

Nice review Dave. After all the buzz going around about these might have to stop at the b&m and pick one or two up.... singles though, not cabs haha

Back