Camacho Negro

dwhitacre

My Other Brother Darrell
Jovenhut gave a nice little review of this cigar comparing it to a Padron Anniversary.

I thought it needed a little more coverage based on its own merits.

Origin: Honduras
Length: 5.00
Ring: 50
Strength: Full
Wrapper Color: Dark Brown (M)
Wrapper Type: Mexico
Binder: Honduras
Filler: Honduras
Shape: Parejo

The advertisement says they are medium to full bodied.

Nothing in the description says they are maduro... but man are they maduro!!!

They come in a very nice humi style box
camachon01dl9.jpg

25 in a box
camachon02ta7.jpg

The construction on these is flawless. They are tightly packed and toothy
camachon03ge0.jpg

Upon toasting it I find these to be difficult to start. I've had three so far and each presented a challenge to toast
camachon04ps4.jpg

They start out harsh and bitter - a lot of black walnut and mahogany with hints of burnt toast
camachon05po7.jpg

About 1/4th in it become smooth and creamy with hints of nuts, coffee and dark chocolate, still a little bitter
camachon06nq3.jpg

The half way point is where the flavor really stands out, all bitterness is lost and the chocolate, woody maduro flavor is tasted through and through
camachon07it6.jpg

The burn on these is even all the way through with no correction needed and the ash is tight and holds strong
camachon08et8.jpg

No pepper is detected throughout the smoke, only woody, creamy, chocolate and toasty-goodness to the nub
camachon09oq2.jpg

Overall Experience: Great - I would smoke this again as a favorite
Construction: 9 out of 10
Price: 10 out of 10 - a little over $2.00 a stick
Flavor: 9 out of 10 - medium with nice finish
Appearance: 8 out of 10 - toothy and tight

Great Darrell, thanks for building the anticipation. The photos are excellent and I like the way the ash held, nice light gray. I look forward trying one from the box that arrived today.

BTW That is not just any Maduro wrapper it is from the San Andres Valley, Mexico. :tu

That's where I get the tobacco I use to roll my own with. :)

Nice review. Thanks. A little resting time might help ease that bitterness.

I know JR had them for two years in their humi. But I will let some rest in mine!!! Good advice!!!

Great Darrell, thanks for building the anticipation. The photos are excellent and I like the way the ash held, nice light gray. I look forward trying one from the box that arrived today.

BTW That is not just any Maduro wrapper it is from the San Andres Valley, Mexico. :tu

That's where I get the tobacco I use to roll my own with. :)

Glad you liked the pictures. Coming from you that is high praise!!!

These taste so good!!! I'm surprised they haven't been a favorite on the CS board!

really enjoyed smokin this one with you...i kinda wish that i didn't let my ash after seeing how far yours went. thanx for everything dad...dunno what i'd do without you as well as everyone right now.

love ya

-joe-

I smoked one of my C.N. Robusto Largas yesterday a.m. with my morning coffee. It's been in the cooler for one year and I've been spreading out smoking them so I can see if there are any changes. They do mellow a bit with time and, though it's hard for me to remember exactly how these smoked right off the truck, they smoke darn good now. I'm now kicking myself for not buying more on the latest JR sale.

But, that's kind of the downside of the cigars. There's only one place that handles them and it sounds like they're not moving too good. So, JR probably won't be buying more when these are sold. I never buy "close-outs" no matter what they're priced because if I end up really liking them, what will I do when they're all gone???

BTW, my Robusto Largas aren't nearly as dark as the Robusto's pictured and the wrapper on mine is considerably smoother with less veining.

Great review, btw, of one of my favorites.

WyoBob

awesome review darrell! I'm sure glad you did this review cause i was tempted to buy a box of these... i don't like maduro's so thank you!!! you saved my arse some much needed money!

awesome review darrell! I'm sure glad you did this review cause i was tempted to buy a box of these... i don't like maduro's so thank you!!! you saved my arse some much needed money!

Glad to help!!!

BTW - Send me all your maduros from now on!!!:r

So is this actually a humidor box, or a "humidor style" box? Hows the seal and fitment?

I'd have to say "humidor style". I worked on the Robusto Larga box I bought last year to turn it into a humidor. Although it looked like it sealed well and passed the light test, it wouldn't hold humidity. I put a seal around the lid. Still no-go. I then used silicon calk around all the seams on the interior and it still wouldn't maintain humidty. Now, it's a "knick-knack" box.

Hopefully, someone will have good luck making these into a humidor. I sure didn't.

WyoBob

I'd have to say "humidor style". I worked on the Robusto Larga box I bought last year to turn it into a humidor. Although it looked like it sealed well and passed the light test, it wouldn't hold humidity. I put a seal around the lid. Still no-go. I then used silicon calk around all the seams on the interior and it still wouldn't maintain humidty. Now, it's a "knick-knack" box.

Hopefully, someone will have good luck making these into a humidor. I sure didn't.

WyoBob

I may give it a try - I think it would be cool as a small humi!!! If not.. I told my wife she could use it as a jewlery box!!!:r She didn't like that idea!!!

Nice review and great pictures. I purchased a box from JR about a year ago. Nice smoke, finished the last one about a month ago. Been thinking about ordering again, but there are so many other cigars to try!

Working on mine right now. A churchill. I'm a couple inches in and enjoying this thing. Much more mild than I was expecting but a really good taste to it.

Back