Can't get my humidor to hold its humidity

SmokingArea

Newbie in the jungle
I've seen some of the how-tos on preparing a humidor on the net, and I followed the directions. Twice. It hold the humidity for a few days then drops down to zero, but the humidifier (jar of clear beads I bought from the B&M) doesn't empty out.

I've been using the solution they sell there - would I be better off with distilled water?

Hello,

It's a bit unclear when you say the humidity "drops to zero" (there has to be SOME humidity in the air, even outside your humi, my house generally is around 45 - 50%).

In any case, here's what I would recommend. Season the humidor as per the instructions. Wipe down with a sponge and distilled water until all interior wood surfaces are damp (NOT soaking wet, just damp). Let it sit for a couple of days.

To control the RH, I would strongly recommend getting some RH beads. You can pick them up from either heartfeltindustries.com or cigarmony.com (both Viper and Mark are great guys and members here). They seem to work and work WELL for a LOT of people, myself included. The other thing I would strongly recommend would be to pick up an digital adjustable hygrometer (same sources listed above). Spend a few bucks up front to get your humi set up and able to monitor it well, and you won't regret it.

Hope this helps.

- Garilla

I couldn't hold humidity in my humidor. My solution was to get a Igloo cooler.

Goodbye humidity problems.

I might be way off, but isn't the RH there around 60ish? Do you have your humi near an air conditioner because I couldn't imagine your humidity tanking much below the 50's.

There is no way the humidity drops to zero. Ambient humidity is always much higher than that. Even if you left the humidor completely open an accurate hygrometer would show at least 30%, depending on temp.

1. Order some 65% or 70% beads from Cigarmony.com or Heartfelt.com. Follow the instructions that come with them.

2. Use distilled water only

3. Spend a few bucks on an accurate digital hygometer. You can get a good one for about 20 bucks.

4. Season your humidor while waiting for the beads. Wipe it down with distilled water, as mentioned by Garilla, don't make it wet, just damp. Yyou can even put a shot glass of water inside the humi for awhile, but remove before adding beads or cigars.

Good luck

There is no way the humidity drops to zero. Ambient humidity is always much higher than that. Even if you left the humidor completely open an accurate hygrometer would show at least 30%, depending on temp.

1. Order some 65% or 70% beads from Cigarmony.com or Heartfelt.com. Follow the instructions that come with them.

2. Use distilled water only

3. Spend a few bucks on an accurate digital hygometer. You can get a good one for about 20 bucks.

4. Season your humidor while waiting for the beads. Wipe it down with distilled water, as mentioned by Garilla, don't make it wet, just damp. Yyou can even put a shot glass of water inside the humi for awhile, but remove before adding beads or cigars.

Good luck

GOOD ADVICE! I've had great luck with the beads, however I've found that they need more frequent charging with distilled during the drier fall & winter months. If you're gathering cigars for aging, I would suggest considering a cooler for your aging stock and reserving your humi for "on-deck" cigars.

I have a chair side humidor that has both an Oasis XL and beads but was having problems maintaining a consistent level. I read a suggestion about using wax on the seals. My wife had a couple of boxes of canning wax so I carved out a piece and rubbed it onto the door seal and base. The humidity level has held steady ever since.

I'm having a similar problem with my wood humi. DCC told me it takes time for the wood to really get moist enough to hold. I pulled everything out and sprayed distilled water in side and am letting it set. I've had mine for about a month.I also am adding a jar of crystals in addition to the green thing in side.

Back